"Istanbul" - spoken-word promo video

Re: Istanbul - spoken-word promo video

Moving. I'm totally not sitting here crying.

Beautifully done.

Now, THIS is a single!

Cannot wait to download Istanbul.

and the actual song sounds amazing!

and the actual song sounds amazing!

It sure does! Much better than WPINOYB, imo. Inpatiently waiting to download on iTunesAU. It's showing for purchase but getting various errors when I click said link.

Hope all of the other songs on WPINOYB are just as awesome (if not better)! ...Now all that's needed is for Moz to change the shoddy La Fab cover.

Can't access it in Sweden. :(

See Morrissey's Spoken-Word Reading of New Track 'Istanbul' - Premiere - Rolling Stone
Ex-Smith unleashes new teaser for July album 'World Peace Is None of Your Business'

Excerpt:

Morrissey may not be on Twitter, but he is continuing to talk about his July 15th album World Peace Is None of Your Business on his own terms. Today, Rolling Stone is debuting the English legend's spoken-word performance of the new record's "Istanbul," which was filmed at Capitol Studios in Hollywood by director Natalie Johns.

As scratchy sounds make their way out of a gramophone (with a bouquet in it, naturally), Morrissey pours himself a drink as his voiceover narrates the track's lyrics, which trace a father's search for his "brown-eyed son" on streets filled with prostitutes and shadows. He soberly concludes: "Rolling breathless off the tongue/the vicious street gang slang/I lean into a box of pine/identify the kid as mine."

<iframe width="600" height="337" src="http://cache.vevo.com/m/html/embed.html?video=USUMV1400128&amp;sbId=F8FA8910-3D2E-4CC0-AED8-49F93D7BE1C0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Raphael Lambach also posted in the forums
a clip of the track "Istanbul" is now available on iTunes / New Zealand.

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy mother of dog - this is the best one yet! Finally, someone has figured out late-period Morrissey's strengths. These little gems are smart, beautifully filmed and they make use of Morrissey's spoken word abilities (which are considerable and have always been criminally underutilized). Morrissey finally seems to have conquered that peculiar, self-conscious awkwardness that has plagued so many of his videos. He's done a great job here, and so has the director.

If I didn't know who Morrissey was, and I saw this series, I'd certainly want to know more. Well done.

... and they make use of Morrissey's spoken word abilities (which are considerable and have always been criminally underutilized).

"Morrissey capable of speech shocker!"

Yes, what an accolade. What a surprising turn of events.

Beautiful... loving these songs and how he delivers them as bar room ballads is wonderful. It just works.

"We breathlessly await details of the packages allowing 'clueless consumers' to purchase the soundtrack accompanying the feature length film "Word Peace Is None Of Your Business".

"It's only when we become aware or are reminded that our time is limited that we can channel our energy into truly living"

#InATimeLapse

#AngeloBadalementi #Kjartan"Kjarri"Sveinsson #LudovicoEinaudi

Last edited:
So, is this song about a male prostitute that is murdered because he's in an Islamic country and they hate gays?

Why pick a Islamic country to tell this tale?

Now, true story. I worked with a guy who was born and lived in Iraq as a child. He slightly gleefully told me what happened to someone who was discovered as gay pre-US invasion.

A mob would superglue the victim's asshole shut, and after a few days of misery they would die. The cops and army would look the other way, because even though there wasn't an actual anti-gay law on the books, the mob's moral law was above any state law.

Sidenote, the guy I worked with's favorite show was Ellen.

The best of the three. Subdued, and the lyrics are much more thoughtful.

Hoping that Jesse didn't write the music that could easily stamp out the subtle tone of the lyrics.

EDIT: Just Googled. The co-writer is Boorer. There is a chance, fans.

Last edited:

Blown away! Seriously. Pure poetry. This is the best of the three by a landslide. Can't contain my excitement and enthusiasm to hear this track. Here is hoping we get another video gem.

:love:U Morrissey!

It's available on Australian itunes too and ... it's really f***ing good! Again, absolutely top notch production and wow really impressed.

I don't know why I expected something more musically slow and down trodden for this one, also something a lot more musically linked to the title of the track. But it's actually reasonably mid-paced and there is only a hint of eastern/islamic tones to it, absolutely nothing like Far Off Places. It's got a biting guitar and the key board/synth work is subtle enough in the background to just add a richness to it. His voice is just beautiful and floats majestically along over the top of the music. I'm so psyched for this album, the 2 released tracks are very good and the other 2 played live are catchy and fun. I think this has real potential to be the most universally praised album among fans since Quarry or possibly even since Vauxhall.

Back
Top Bottom