"Is Morrissey a national treasure?" - Peter Paphides and Sukhdev Sandhu debate, The Observer

Although this comes off the back of the Falklands comment, it is not strictly about it but perhaps harks back to The Culture Show's accolade a few years back.

Is Morrissey a national treasure? - Series: The debate - Peter Paphides and Sukhdev Sandhu, The Observer
The singer is in trouble for backing Argentina's claims to the Falklands, but we still love him – don't we?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: "Is Morrissey a national treasure?" - Peter Paphides and Sukhdev Sandhu

I am harrassed from beyond the grave by a ghostly racist!

A racist is someone who wants only his or hers race to exist all over the world. A racist wants to erase all other races but his or her own. A racist will not befriend people of other races. Living up to being a racist is harder than some think but at the same time many people love to label other people racist cause that somehow makes them a bit better in their own eyes.
A well known fact in studies about xenophobia is that it is not the people living out their racism in views and actions that are the biggest threat but the people that stay quiet as they think it is ok to view themselves as not being racist therefor making them passive when acts of racism appear before their eyes.
This is the same type of problem as when parents and friends by their actions enable a victim of drug abuse to continue by being passive instead of facing the problem head on. Peterb is therefor a member of society that will enable racism and will put a blind eye to it cause of the fact he does not see himself having any problems with racism.
It is the people that view themselves in a better light than they deserve that creates an opening for racism to live on.
In this sense Peterb is an enemy of the state and to everyone that are not of his own race.

Re: Article: "Is Morrissey a national treasure?" - Peter Paphides and Sukhdev Sandhu

A racist is someone who wants only his or hers race to exist all over the world. A racist wants to erase all other races but his or her own. A racist will not befriend people of other races. Living up to being a racist is harder than some think but at the same time many people love to label other people racist cause that somehow makes them a bit better in their own eyes.
A well known fact in studies about xenophobia is that it is not the people living out their racism in views and actions that are the biggest threat but the people that stay quiet as they think it is ok to view themselves as not being racist therefor making them passive when acts of racism appear before their eyes.
This is the same type of problem as when parents and friends by their actions enable a victim of drug abuse to continue by being passive instead of facing the problem head on. Peterb is therefor a member of society that will enable racism and will put a blind eye to it cause of the fact he does not see himself having any problems with racism.
It is the people that view themselves in a better light than they deserve that creates an opening for racism to live on.
In this sense Peterb is an enemy of the state and to everyone that are not of his own race.

Your opening sentence is so idiotically wrong, I didn't read any further.

Your opening sentence is so idiotically wrong, I didn't read any further.

Which means you read it a few times and it hit a soft spot within you. You thought you were a decent person but realised from reading that post that deep inside you are an enabler of racism.

I hear a voice from beyond the veil. Yes, I think it's Ulrika. She appears to be saying, " I'm not racist, honestly. Please take me back on Solo. I'm so lonley with only a bunch of Serbian fascists to keep me company".

Knave, you are Serb.

I assume that is a foul insult in your yurt. Here in the first world it sounds faintly ludicrous. Now, put your cousin down for a minute and get on with your farm work. Those yaks aren't going to milk themselves.

I hear a voice from beyond the veil. Yes, I think it's Ulrika. She appears to be saying, " I'm not racist, honestly. Please take me back on Solo. I'm so lonley with only a bunch of Serbian fascists to keep me company".

Speaking for all on Solo I can see that Peterb is struggling a bit here to keep up with not only the debate but with the times we live in. Maybe he thinks there are a lot of fascists about and still has not realised how much the political spectra has changed due to the muslim threat in the world.
Recently Israel Netanyahu held a speech in USA before Obama live on CNN where he inbetween the lines touched upon the changing support FOR Israel from groups around the world that have previously been anti-Israel.
Maybe Peterb is mourning the fact that fascist groups have all but disappeared and are now supporting Israel in their fight against muslim fanatics. When Peterb is no more able to point his finger at fascists he will be struggle to find an enemy that he so clearly needs to compensate for his own weak persona. The landscape of politics in 2012 is more complicated than ever before which has a lot to do with the fact that we have a ceremonial american president who cannot deal with the increasing gas price and does not have the balls of Bush to deal with the situation in Syria.
Israel needs a stronger american president to defend them and the world from radical muslim terrorists so that people like Peterb finally realises that the world he used to live in is not the same today.

Godwin's Law.

There should be a commonly-recognised phrased that can be cited in respect of people who try to invoke Godwin's Law inappropriately in online discussions. If there was, I'd invoke it now.

Speaking for all on Solo I can see that Peterb is struggling a bit here to keep up with not only the debate but with the times we live in. Maybe he thinks there are a lot of fascists about and still has not realised how much the political spectra has changed due to the muslim threat in the world.
Recently Israel Netanyahu held a speech in USA before Obama live on CNN where he inbetween the lines touched upon the changing support FOR Israel from groups around the world that have previously been anti-Israel.
Maybe Peterb is mourning the fact that fascist groups have all but disappeared and are now supporting Israel in their fight against muslim fanatics. When Peterb is no more able to point his finger at fascists he will be struggle to find an enemy that he so clearly needs to compensate for his own weak persona. The landscape of politics in 2012 is more complicated than ever before which has a lot to do with the fact that we have a ceremonial american president who cannot deal with the increasing gas price and does not have the balls of Bush to deal with the situation in Syria.
Israel needs a stronger american president to defend them and the world from radical muslim terrorists so that people like Peterb finally realises that the world he used to live in is not the same today.
The world according to Ulrika the nazi loon!

Couple of letters in today's Observer...

Observer letters 180312.jpg

P.

"You say 'give' Northern Ireland to the Republic. Despite the majority been proud to be British"

Proud to be british. Mmmmm. I think you'll find that most people in Northern Ireland who proclaim a british identity would have different reasons than yourself to be proud to be british. Read up on Irish History and you'll find that the British establishment played the Orange card.

But hell, lets have a sectarian headcount and divide scotland up. Even better, let have a regionalist headcount and divide england.

Your Ignorant. Simple As

And I don't hate the English (Note I said English.) It's just that the english got very bad press throughout history. And every Englishman worth his salt knows this.

And a royal family. In 2012. Really?

Good music though. I'll give yous that

I first saw the Smiths in '84 and have generally hung on every word uttered since. Unfortunately what Morrissey has to say these days is just dull and often a tad embarassing. His insistence that his band have to be poster boards for his tired posturing lessens his attempts at being controversial. All in all he has become tiresome and a bit of a disappointment. Funny you never think you'll grow out of it, and then you do.

I first saw the Smiths in '84 and have generally hung on every word uttered since. Unfortunately what Morrissey has to say these days is just dull and often a tad embarassing. His insistence that his band have to be poster boards for his tired posturing lessens his attempts at being controversial. All in all he has become tiresome and a bit of a disappointment. Funny you never thik you'll grow out of it, and then you do.
On the one hand, you are right he does appear to be stomping around in a very clumsy manner with pronoucments that don't hit the target. Not that I completely disagree, the monarchy are a blight on our landscape and Britains claim on the Malvinas is questionable at least but his inputs do not help or further the argument.
On the other hand, in the absence of product, ie albums (and that's what he is good at) attention quite naturally falls on what's left, and what's left is not really worthy of note.

A man who has not lived in Britain for decades (?) pontificating about the British....yeah I'm really interested in his opinions. It's such a pity as I have always defended his utterences. Now I both can't defend them and can't be arsed to try. He comes across like some spoilt Violet Elizabeth metaphorically shrieking 'Look at me' but coming across like a fool and, rather shamefully, making a fool of his loyal band. Really I shouldn't join in the debate because he is now so easy to belittle. It is a real shame (and especially for me and the wife who have for years and years constantly been on the look out for tours etc.).

A man who has not lived in Britain for decades (?) pontificating about the British....yeah I'm really interested in his opinions. It's such a pity as I have always defended his utterences. Now I both can't defend them and can't be arsed to try. He comes across like some spoilt Violet Elizabeth metaphorically shrieking 'Look at me' but coming across like a fool and, rather shamefully, making a fool of his loyal band. Really I shouldn't join in the debate because he is now so easy to belittle. It is a real shame (and especially for me and the wife who have for years and years constantly been on the look out for tours etc.).
Do you like his later material?

I first saw the Smiths in '84 and have generally hung on every word uttered since. Unfortunately what Morrissey has to say these days is just dull and often a tad Other then coming abroad 2 yrs later ,. His insistence that his band have to be poster boards for his tired posturing lessens his attempts at being controversial. All in all he has become tiresome and a bit of a disappointment. Funny you never think you'll grow out of it, and then you do.

EVERY word for WORD are exactly how I have felt since(86)
I started to "grow out "at 'swords' then 'YOR' forget it ..
It seems the only thing left is,half a good set and embarrassing stage presentation

Do you like his later material?

Yes. I have always bought his albums and always found music on them worthwhile. YATQ and Vauxhall and I are up there with the 1st 3 Smiths album. I really liked his last one, far better than Ringleader. The problem I have is that I am increasingly finding him infantile and perhaps most unforgiveably just boring and dull. Like I said its a real shame for me. I'm sure Morrissey must have, at one time, written a lyric stating that your heroes/idols always ultimately let you down.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom