I Have A Dream

• Thread starter The Person Underneath
  • Start date
T

The Person Underneath

It is the opening ceremony of the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games.

Media helicopters buzz Sydney's Millennium Stadium like midges around a fresh, steaming cow-pat. Tension, excitement, hope, trepidation, emotional ingredients so tangable in the air of that humid, sunlit cauldron down-under that you can slice through the atmosphere with a baseball bat.

Viewed from the satellite-linked CNN chopper sports-cam, hovering high over the immaculately resplendant green field surrounded by a moat-like, burgundy coloured running track, two small dots proceed towards the painstakingly prepared central stage. For the next few minutes this will be the nucleus of the entire universe.

As the live feed switches from air to ground we receive our first close-ups of these two legendary performers. One is debonair, handsome, with a windswept mystical air. The other is shorter, older, sporting a goatee beard pampered and manicured for the occassion. He carries, tucked under his left arm, a thin board no more than 1x1/2 metres in dimension. These entertainment giants require no introduction. We all know WHO they are, we all know WHY they're here.

Their purpose appears superficially simple. To sing a song. A duet.

Hush.....hush.

The murmuring fades. The encompassing silence is intruded upon only by the fluttering sound of the recalcitrant streamers, glistening and dancing upon the artificial thermals generated by the combined breath and body heat of the tightly packed, sticky stadium audience. As the spellbound world gazes on in hypnotic wonderment, the splendour and occassion boils down to one question......ONE question. It flits through the minds of billions, teasing, tormenting and agonising. "What will they sing.......WHAT will they sing?"

Whatever it will be it must send forth a message of hope and unity that can be easily and immediately interpreted and adopted by cultures all over the globe. A stirring, emotional plea with international appeal for goodwill, compassion and empathy, A song which will grasp the passion, dedication and commitment of the hoards of assembled athletes. Something so inspirationally uplifting it will blow a gargantuan raspberry at "Imagine" and "Wind Beneath My Wings".THE PLANETARY ANTHEM FOR THE NEW MILLENNIUM!

And we wait. And we wait. For what seems like an indeterminable length of time. Quite long in fact.

Then. A low wobbly noise begins. Its volume intensifies as it is picked up by the battery of microphones burdening the podium. Slowly at first. Wobble....wobble....wobble. It gradually gathers speed, wobble..wobble..wobble..wobble. The crescendo peaks in volume and intensity as it adopts the sound of a demented helicopter rotor, wobble.wobble.wobble.wobble.wobble. That famous toothy grin and knowing wink from the bearded one towards his handsome companion, wobblewobblewobblewobble.

The taller performer, coolness personified, takes one confident step closer to the microphone array. He stares longingly into the camera which will beam this heart-melting image into the living rooms and minds of our planet. He inhales, deeply. Exacting the last painstaking microsecond of apprehension. Milking the moment to its very core. Billions of hearts cease to beat, there is a disturbance in the cosmos and then........

"You put your left leg in,
your left leg out,
in, out,
in, out,
you shake it all about........"

Do you think Juan Antonio Samaranch(IOC president) visits this site?

T.P.U. xxx

After reading this, how can I ever look forward to finding out the answer to another neighbours cliff hanger ever again?!

It all just seems so weary stale flat and unprofitable to me now after this mind blowing climax to such a seat-edge, nailbiting, grandma's just passed out, pass me a hanky to mop my brow, and does anyone have any smelling salts bytheway, shock exclusive, hope inspiring vision of lovelyness and delight; oh it encompases all!

I was going to go and watch cori but there's just no sparkle to it for me now...How can...

"Hot pot Ken love?"

"No thanks Betty I've just popped in to see if Deirdry was about, but she isn't, so I'll not stop. Oh if you see her will you tell her I was looking for her?

"Will do lovey, nothin's (sic) up is it?"

"It's Tracey she's been up in her room 'playing her tapes' for the last seven years - only we never noticed - ha ha she has become quite the 'Bertha Rochester'" Ken chuckling in his worldly school teacher come newspaper mogel psuedo intellectul working class roots/middle class foppish ways, way before realising none of the mancunian back street halfwits, who only use books to prop up the arga, haven't the slightest what he is on about!

"Oh" murmers a slightly frowning - I think Ken's a bit addled - confused but careless Betty.

Roll Credits
Fade to black
Que annoying Cadburys ad...

...ever dazzle me of an evening after the old hokey-cokey saga?! "maybe in the next world" Ho-hum...

I have a dream as well

I have a dream that I will travel to Sydney, take a Kendo Shinai and whip your ass as an Olympic sport for that story.

...and I will come singing the Camp Town Ladies all the way over...

Hmm...Russell Crowe's From Sydney, Isn't He?...

Exasperation!

> I have a dream that I will travel to Sydney, take a Kendo Shinai
> and whip your ass as an Olympic sport for that story.

> ...and I will come singing the Camp Town Ladies all the way
> over...

I don't get it ordinary girl, I just don't get it.

Here we have Morrissey accompanied by Rolf Harris on wobble-board singing the Hokey-Cokey to the entire planet at the opening ceremony of the Olympic games and you don't find this concept even MILDLY amusing.

What will it take to bring a cheesy to that smacked mutton coupon of yours? Do you do fruit? Veg? Well pucker up those shrivelled kippers I've mailed you a zucchini.

T.P.U. xxx

I had a sneaking suspicion you might get a bit of a giggle out of that one.

Honoured by your praise and delighted you enjoyed.

Stay tuned.

T.P.U. xxx

Re: Hmm...Russell Crowe's From Sydney, Isn't He?...

Um...yes he does in deed live there!

You know, that could possibly make the events I had planned out even more interesting if I incorporated it in the right way! :^O

Technically, he's actually going to be in my home town in July and August, so I would be in the wrong part of the world if I packed it up and left....not that my boss will ever let me go on vacation in my lifetime ever again....

Degradation

> I don't get it ordinary girl, I just don't get it.

> Here we have Morrissey accompanied by Rolf Harris on
> wobble-board singing the Hokey-Cokey to the entire planet at the
> opening ceremony of the Olympic games and you don't find this
> concept even MILDLY amusing.

Here are my problems with your so called comedy bit in numerical order:

1. Everything.

Ooops, sorry. I can't think of a second reason.

> What will it take to bring a cheesy to that smacked mutton
> coupon of yours?

You realize that coupons are printed on paper made of wood pulp, don't you?

>Do you do fruit?

Yes. Here's my impression of a Kiwi:

:^|

>Veg?

Yes, I like to veg, thank you.

>Well pucker up those
> shrivelled kippers I've mailed you a zucchini.

Ah! Something to add to my composting bathtub!

How many buses are in the station?

> Here are my problems with your so called comedy bit in numerical
> order:
> 1. Everything.
> Ooops, sorry. I can't think of a second reason.
> You realize that coupons are printed on paper made of wood pulp,
> don't you?
> Yes. Here's my impression of a Kiwi:
> :^|
> Yes, I like to veg, thank you.
> Ah! Something to add to my composting bathtub!

Hiya Chuckles. In all the time we've known each other have I told you how much I love you? No? Well I do. Read through your posting (above) and I'll explain why.

Finished? Good. It's pathetic isn't it? THAT'S why I love you. Because your crap. Honestly. You are so very, VERY bad at this.

I love you ordinary girl.

T.P.U. xxx

None that are travelling far far away from you, unfortunately

> Hiya Chuckles. In all the time we've known each other have I
> told you how much I love you? No? Well I do. Read through your
> posting (above) and I'll explain why.

> Finished? Good. It's pathetic isn't it? THAT'S why I love you.
> Because your crap.

Because of my crap? Is that what you tell a girl on a first date?

>Honestly. You are so very, VERY bad at this.

If you mean to insult me, you do a very poor job of it. Not once have you actually made me feel bad about anything I have written, and matter of fact, they usually give me a good laugh.

> I love you ordinary girl.

*coughcoughheirapparentcoughcough*

signed,

the former artist known as Suz

Dedication.

> the former artist known as Suz

Hi again Cuddles!

I sincerely believe that if you practiced really, REALLY hard for really, REALLY long you'd be able to master that "patting your head with your right hand whilst simultaneously rubbing your belly with your left" thing.

Still love ya!

T.P.U. xxx

Re: Hey...

...Will you two crazy kids stop bickering and realise you just can't get enough of each other - The tension's getting more than a little tangible! The heat from the energy is starting to melt my walkman!!!

go ooooon give her a kiss : )

> ...Will you two crazy kids stop bickering and realise you just
> can't get enough of each other - The tension's getting more than
> a little tangible! The heat from the energy is starting to melt
> my walkman!!!

> go ooooon give her a kiss : )

sorry. it's just me, my cat, and a half-dead houseplant for now on....

> sorry. it's just me, my cat, and a half-dead houseplant for now
> on....

Sounds alright to me! : )

Anyway, hows things with you suzanne dear? Not to pissy I hope!

You never thought you could be too good of an employee....

> Sounds alright to me! : )

It's a very good plan.

> Anyway, hows things with you suzanne dear? Not to pissy I hope!

Oh, it's joyous. I wanted to be an extra in the movie Miss Congeniality that was filming here in town, but my boss wouldn't let me have any vacation.

Then, she basically yelled at me (the form of yelling where they generalize into "everybody says.." but then they reference specific things you did and stare at you the entire time) in front of everybody later on that day. Apparently, it's not OK to tell the assistant boss that you're too busy to do something when it's the truth that you are too busy...correcting other people's mistakes on a job that is no longer yours. That, and that your boss is trying to make you feel like the most incompetent idiot ever in your new job despite the fact that you had only done it for a couple of weeks, and even though there is an air head in a comporable position next to you that nobody complains about, because you make a couple of bobbles in the learning process because she feels like she can humiliate you into crawling back into your old job...the one that you hate....because you were great at rotting in one boring job for her own personal benefit because you did a "great job" there...and she tries even further by getting the new girl to ask you to switch back to the old desk, and also making you go back and "train" her again...for weeks....maybe months...maybe not until the new programming season is over in September and all of the new schedules are in the computer.

My resumes are in the mail if someone wants one. This is bull@#!!!.

Re: You never thought you could be too good of an employee....

> It's a very good plan.

One of the best.

Well isn't life just swell? Sounds like one big bowl of fun and chrries! You get something good happen and something @#!!! comes along with it. And I'm sorry but in my opinion your boss sounds

1 rude
2 unproffesional
3 hormonally imbalanced and or sociopathic selfish
4 in desperate need of a VERY hard bitch slapping

and you can tell her that from me too! If she has anything to say about it tell her NMP (not my problem) and send her over this way, the ignorant bitch...I'll slap her right back into that dickensian novel she slivered out of. People who make things @#!!!ty for other people for no reason make me sick sick sick!

There now, little rant all over! I just had a fabby stay in London, although I wish I'd gone for this weekend then I could've taken in gay pride : ( Never mind maybe in the next world : )

At least we have our cats!

> One of the best.

> Well isn't life just swell? Sounds like one big bowl of fun and
> chrries! You get something good happen and something @#!!!
> comes along with it. And I'm sorry but in my opinion your boss
> sounds

> 1 rude
> 2 unproffesional
> 3 hormonally imbalanced and or sociopathic selfish
> 4 in desperate need of a VERY hard bitch slapping

She's a freak, basically. I had always thought she put too much stock in what I did at my old job because she pretends I'm the most amazing person to ever walk into that job, but the truth is, that she's incredibly lazy and hated to have to "train" people for that position...she admitted the latter half of that to me several times.

> and you can tell her that from me too! If she has anything to
> say about it tell her NMP (not my problem) and send her over
> this way, the ignorant bitch...I'll slap her right back into
> that dickensian novel she slivered out of. People who make
> things @#!!! ty for other people for no reason make me sick
> sick sick!

I don't think she likes me that much personally, either. It's really weird. The entire sales department is made up of a stock of people mostly in their 30's, been divorced at least once (I think the ratio in my room alone is about 4 out of 5), and yet, I keep feeling like I'm walking through the doors of high school all over again the way they whisper about people, or go out of their way to either suck up to someone or ignore someone less popular because they feel like their chances of being accepted have increased. It's really weird to see it again after about 6-7 years of being out of high school and it almost completely disappearing from my sight for the longest.

> There now, little rant all over! I just had a fabby stay in
> London, although I wish I'd gone for this weekend then I
> could've taken in gay pride : ( Never mind maybe in the next
> world : )

Good thing about living in Europe is you can easily travel to London....or any of the other really cool places just a few hours away by plane. Maybe I can go look for Pee Wee's bicycle in the basement of the Alamo....again...

Can't you take in gay pride anywhere you're standing?

> At least we have our cats!

I have mine...if she would come up and have lunch.

Re: sheesh!

Whether she likes you or not she should keep her personal opinions for home time...it's a popular myth that people mature, in my opinion they just get worse but better at hiding it on the surface. If you think about it, when exactly is this change really supposed to occur? A person who is a twat in highschool is gonna grow out of it, sure, but nobody ever stops to consider INTO WHAT!!! It's just taken for granted it's gonna be better!

("Mom mom little Jeffery is cutting the heads off dogs and sticking
them on spikes!"
"Oh, he'll grow out of it Honey!" - Yeah into one of the worlds most
notorious serial killers...bit extreme but you get the idea...)

Travel in Europe still takes time and money though!

> Can't you take in gay pride anywhere you're standing?

Sure in the general sense, but I'd like to be amongst the carnival this weekend! Oh well - maybe next year.

Mine are house cats - they're always around ^_^

Are you married, or are you happy?

> Whether she likes you or not she should keep her personal
> opinions for home time...it's a popular myth that people mature,
> in my opinion they just get worse but better at hiding it on the
> surface. If you think about it, when exactly is this change
> really supposed to occur? A person who is a twat in highschool
> is gonna grow out of it, sure, but nobody ever stops to consider
> INTO WHAT!!! It's just taken for granted it's gonna be better!

no, i don't doubt that end of their personal metamorphosis. I'm just saying that it's been a long time since I've been in a group with a social structure similar to what you find roaming the halls of a high school. That here is a group of people who theroretically didn't know each other until they met here, and they still ended up like this, and I find it fascinating on many levels:

1. It truly explains how their children learn it, even though the popular theory is that children are little animals who teach these mean behaviors to themselves.

2. And from what I see, they are the only group who has actually reproduced themselves. Everyone else in the building is still going out and getting drunk, and AREN'T interested in sitting around in discussing boys and hair.

3. The people who are having children don't really have much in the way of personality.

> ("Mom mom little Jeffery is cutting the heads off dogs and
> sticking
> them on spikes!"
> "Oh, he'll grow out of it Honey!" - Yeah into one of
> the worlds most
> notorious serial killers...bit extreme but you get the idea...)

Yes. Don't give a child spikes....

> Travel in Europe still takes time and money though!

Oh, I don't doubt that. I'm just saying I'll bet it's a bit cheaper and less time consuming getting, to say, Ireland via bus and ferry somewhere in southern England rather than hopping an airplane somewhere in the Southern US flying for over half a day and suffering jetlag for roughly $900...and that doesn't include the bus and ferry afterwards, if you want to go somewhere else.

> Sure in the general sense, but I'd like to be amongst the
> carnival this weekend! Oh well - maybe next year.

C'mon. You've got to know at least one gay guy or lesbian having a party sometime soon.

> Mine are house cats - they're always around ^_^

by the way: sorry to doublecross the cat and a houseplant movement....and the more i will not say

I keep feeling like I'm walking through the doors of high school all over again the way they whisper about people, or go out of their way to either suck up to someone or ignore someone less popular because they feel like their chances of being accepted have increased. It's really weird to see it again after about 6-7 years of being out of high school and it almost completely disappearing from my sight for the longest.

I've found a lot of work places are like this. During the year I worked as an Ad. Assisstant, I had constant nightmares that I had to go back to high school. Quite scary, I assure you.

VILE

Back
Top Bottom