I gave up on Mozza years ago - Morrissey: Live is proof that I was right to do it - newstatesman.com

Re: I gave up on Mozza years ago - Morrissey: Live is proof that I was right to do it - newstatesman

No problem whatsoever Ryan. He gave up on journalists and bloggers years ago so the feeling is mutual.

- marred.

Re: I gave up on Mozza years ago - Morrissey: Live is proof that I was right to do it - newstatesman

I was at this show and it was one of the best Morrissey shows I've been to (and I've been to many). So I have a difficult time believing all of the negative reviews of the film.

In repsonse to the original quote, that's why he (Morrissey) can sell out at 16,000+ arena (Staples Center) and only the peverse go to see him. What a stupid statement~

The 'pope' can get half a million to watch his gig on Copacabana Beach. I'm not sure that selling 16,000 tickets to the current locked-in cult is an indication of anything of interest. Lots of things are popular, that doesn't meant one has to defer to the herd and accept 'popularity' as artistic vindication. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Mind you, Morrissey does seem to measure his self-worth in terms of how successful he is in competing to climb the corporate rock whore popularity chart, hence his current sulk at not being funded lavishly for his next projects. He is a cult, a niche and that's fine, except many find his latest works deeply dull.

I go to see lots of things for lots of reasons, Morrissey shows are very funny, watching the 'star' and the 'fans' in another orgy of smug co-dependent self-congratulation. Herd culture at it's worst, despite the affectations to artistic 'outsider' status. Fascinating to observe as a cultural anthropologist, etc.

regards. and thanks for taking the time to respond.

What bothers many of these journalists, including our friend Ryan, so is Morrissey's relationship with the fans. Most reviews have insulted Morrissey's fan base and expressed disgust over his handing the mic to the crowd. They don't want to give Morrissey credit for having such dedicated fans. They then in turn, put the fans down, like 'good for you Morrissey, you have these loyal fans but look at them, they are freaks!' That message has been pretty consistent. It's nothing new though. It has bugged the press for years that no matter how down Moz may be at any given time, he's not going any where! The fans are always there waiting. Yes, of course some will move on, but there will always be new ones because there will always be new people becoming teenagers and that voice will be there for them to discover:)

Who cares if there are a delusional hardcore of 'fans'? Other than Morrissey? What about the discriminating Audience who choose to keep their critical thinking intact and defer on the cult leader adoration? "Thank you for living". Hilarious! What does Morrissey quip back? Can't wait to see this move, it sounds like a car-crash if the preview track is indicative.

regards

So the New Statesman writer "gave up" on Moz, yet watched the film...? Sounds like he didn't give up at all. This has the all trademarks of people on So_Low who claim to have "given up" yet continue to keep abreast of every minute career development and come here continually just to criticise. People who had genuinely "given up" would have stopped caring, they wouldn't be expending energy writing articles for the New Statesman and/or contributing to fan forums on a regular basis.

Lots of people post on web forums as displacement activity. I'm not sure it has any more significance than doodling during a boring meeting. It passes the time in the same way that listening to Morrissey's latest works 'passes the time'. Rubbernecking at his career car-crashes might seem perverse, but he's not exactly known for offering love and support to other artists who are going through a rough patch. Some who post here are trapped in boring jobs, some are housebound with neurasthenia or whatevs. A few are just remorselessly self-absorbed narcissists wiht borderline personality disorders. Can't think what might attract them to a website about The Artist Formerly Known As Morrissey. You keep fluffing him, see where that gets you. Or him.

I'd post about the artistic demise of Leonard Cohen and Paul McCartney but the mymidons / gatekeepers at their sites don't allow it. This place, however, is the frontier of 'free speech', a holdout against enforced civility and 'niceness'. Morrissey's career tribulations are a way to "pass the time". Nothing else. Still, he might come back with another recycled Clash riff and more homages to 'the last gang in town or whatever it was called.

regards.

Was that article by Ryan Gilbey supposed to be a review of the upcoming film, or was it just another 'pissed off at the moment at Morrissey' bitch fest? Im going with the latter, In which case, blah-blah-blah...heard it all before. I believe he did say,'and how I loved Morrissey', and something to do with loving his shirt. That along with mentioning a few of the concerts he actually enjoyed. Gee, thank you for summarizing your clear love of the man and his work so eloquently and with such reverence. Ive broken up with girlfriends with more passion than that. Since its title had the words, "I gave up on Mozza years ago, why didn't he write this obituary then? Years ago. What, you had to wait for Moz to piss you off one last time before cutting the cord? As sad as I am to constantly read posts, reviews, and articles from 'former fans' relinquishing their once unswerving devotion, it also makes me happy. Happy because: I am now rid of you forever, provided you hold up your end and piss off for good.
I wont have to compete with you for concert tickets since you clearly despise his live shows and his band.
You will now sell any memorabilia you have amassed that I can buy cheaply on Ebay.
And, most importantly, I AM NOW RID OF YOU FOREVER, PROVIDED YOU HOLD UP YOUR END AND PISS OFF FOR GOOD!

Personally, I still love the man, and I am not alone. I await the new film with great anticipation. I look forward to seeing him in concert again, (without you) and will happily hand over my hard earned dough when a new album is released. I can only hope, (for your sake and the sake of the other 'drop-outs') that it is so good and is so beloved by everyone, including music critics, (not that anyone gives a shit what they think, but you see my point) that you will enjoy eating your words with your chips. Go ahead and laugh at me. Come back with a witty reply that will put me in my place. Tell me I am a fool for standing by Morrissey. On you go if you must. Just remember, I might not hear you because I will be listening to the one voice I still love, and the only one I need.

Oh dear! You're really struggling with this whole teenage/low grade A level / clearing stuff, aren't you? And to think you can't even feint onto your black sheeted bed in your box room and be nourished by other cult casualties without annoying folk expressing non-compliant opinions. It's horrid when that happens. Breathe. Camomile tea. Maybe a wank to let the frustration out.

regards

If Ryan Gilbey wants to dump Moz, good for him. That's him. Now we know Gilbey never really loved Moz in the first place. But if Gilbey thinks he will condemn Moz for being an er, then that's where I have a problem. The Moz who speaks the truth is always in trouble. Truth tellers are my heroes and Moz is #1. You know how people are so afraid to speak the truth because they don't want to be attacked for it? Well, Moz doesn't have that problem. He keeps on telling it like it is and I love that about him. That's what makes him such a unique and amazing artist, celebrity, and person. Other celebrities think they are philanthropic, but they're just ignorant. For example, Christina Augilera says she helps with food banks for Rwanda refugees. That's great, but then she says the point of it is so they can procreate (see the most recent InStyle magazine.) Yes, she is that stupid that she doesn't see a correlation between hunger and a proliferation of hungry mouths to feed. Our Moz is way more intelligent than that and fans should feel lucky to have him. What's wrong with thanking Moz for living? He often skirts the edge of death and if we fans want to keep him here longer we better let him know. You're gonna miss him when he's gone.

p.s. Gilbey, if you didn't notice, the inclusion of "Ouija Board, Ouija Board" (a lovely fascinating song) was part of a tribute memorial to a deceased fan.

:boxing:

Oh, that's easily the funniest thing on this thread. All the signs and symptoms of memetic contagion and cult thinking exhibited in a 'tired and emotional' outburst of faux-authenticity. How dare Christina Aguilera provide food so black people can 'procreate' resulting in a 'proliferation of hungry mouths to feed'! I'm sure you're right that Moz is 'way more intelligent' than Christina Aguilera...ahem! He mused upon how Madonna might turn her orphan adopted African son into a handbag. yes, he often 'skirts the edge of death' by eating dodgy pasta rather than hiring a tour chef, but don't worry, he can just hire a private jet to fly back to his personal physician to ensure his role as "eloquent, outspoken truth teller" isn't curtailed by croaking. As for "That's what makes him such a unique and amazing artist, celebrity, and person." Every artist is 'unique' even if they slavishly attempt to replicate something else. Every 'person' is also unique, like a beautiful snowflake! Aaah! Morrissey is a 'celebrity' of sorts, but then they're being pumped out in industrial proportions to feed the lumpen herd culture. Moz's grievance appears to be that some folk are daring to suggest he's not that different to the rest of the klutzes on Rodeo Drive....

" if we fans want to keep him here longer we better let him know. You're gonna miss him when he's gone."

If Morrissey releases another sparkling consumer product I may well enjoy it, if it's rubbish, I'll just LOL! like I did at 'Kill Uncle. I really couldn't care less if he retires to a nunnery and would actually prefer that than anymore mediocre Dad-rock re-hash, re-run, repackage, etc.

You might want to print off your post and discuss it with a therapist. There are some worrying signs of you absconding from personal existential responsibility and placing your 'faith' in a silly pop idol who isn't really idolised by more than the first few rows.

regards.

What bothers many of these journalists, including our friend Ryan, so is Morrissey's relationship with the fans. Most reviews have insulted Morrissey's fan base and expressed disgust over his handing the mic to the crowd. They don't want to give Morrissey credit for having such dedicated fans. They then in turn, put the fans down, like 'good for you Morrissey, you have these loyal fans but look at them, they are freaks!' That message has been pretty consistent. It's nothing new though. It has bugged the press for years that no matter how down Moz may be at any given time, he's not going any where! The fans are always there waiting. Yes, of course some will move on, but there will always be new ones because there will always be new people becoming teenagers and that voice will be there for them to discover:)

Agree completely. There seems to be such resentment from journalists and other musical artists concerning Morrissey's fiercely loyal fanbase. It's always attributed to our flaws, never to his talent. The concerts that he played in the Northeastern US, before the massive cancellation, proved just how relevant he still is. Most were sold out instantly, and the few that I attended were magical. More importantly, the range of ages represented shows that there will always be new fans who feel connected to his work, and those fans will share their discovery with others. I live in a very small town, but whenever I wear a Morrissey t-shirt, inevitably, at least one person comes up and says "Oh my god,I love Morrissey". Obviously, he will never be the world's most famous pop star (that would require vapidness, meager talent, diminshed intelligence, zero integrity, and a time machine that would return him to the age of fourteen), but he has a special and enduring relationship with his fans that most musical artists will never have.

Lynnda

Actually I really enjoyed that article and the way it was written. I think that instead of writing some boring old concert DVD review, he really personalized it and put to word his heart and his soul. I don't see it as a personal attack because his feelings are valid too and not just morrissey's. I think it is very poetic an romantic the way he sees it as a break up because in way we all feel that delusional relationship with him. In my own 20+ year relationship, I've felt that same way with ups and downs and personal triumphs and disappointments with him and his music. Morrissey has always brought that kind of passion in those that love him, indeed love him, and when the end may come and it has been coming for a long time, I will mourn it like the death of an old lover or the end of a love affair.

For me losing Morrissey over the past few years has been a very painful experience and I guess that is why I can relate to the author. However unlike with the author, for me it is too soon to move on and I haven't found and doubt that I will ever find someone to replace him

I think it's a fair review. It reads like a love letter to someone who once was and in slightly different circumstances might still have been, and we all have one of those tucked away in our pasts, don't we?

It rightly mentions the toe-curling statements of the last few years, which have been far, far more damaging to his career than any of his rotten recent material.

I think it's a bit harsh on Dylan and Cohen though, both of whom are still producing interesting and challenging work into their seventh decade. Like Morrissey they both went through fallow periods. Unlike Morrissey you always got the feeling they had more in them somewhere, rather than just a fading hope.

I have seen both Dylan and Morrissey in concert...well after their prime.

Dylan was the only concert ever I didn't enjoy.

It was just...I can't even describe it.

Maybe his recorded stuff is still good, but Morrissey has Dylan beat in terms of love performance.

I have seen both Dylan and Morrissey in concert...well after their prime.

Dylan was the only concert ever I didn't enjoy.

It was just...I can't even describe it.

Maybe his recorded stuff is still good, but Morrissey has Dylan beat in terms of love performance.

Dylan often messes about with the arrangements of his songs live. He is famous for it. He's been doing it since the seventies.

Agree completely. There seems to be such resentment from journalists and other musical artists concerning Morrissey's fiercely loyal fanbase. It's always attributed to our flaws, never to his talent. The concerts that he played in the Northeastern US, before the massive cancellation, proved just how relevant he still is. Most were sold out instantly, and the few that I attended were magical. More importantly, the range of ages represented shows that there will always be new fans who feel connected to his work, and those fans will share their discovery with others. I live in a very small town, but whenever I wear a Morrissey t-shirt, inevitably, at least one person comes up and says "Oh my god,I love Morrissey". Obviously, he will never be the world's most famous pop star (that would require vapidness, meager talent, diminshed intelligence, zero integrity, and a time machine that would return him to the age of fourteen), but he has a special and enduring relationship with his fans that most musical artists will never have.

Lynnda

Try wearing a "God Hates Fags!" t-shirt and see if you get a similar response from devotees of the Westboro Baptist Church. Or "Down with Evolution - Biblical Home Schooling for all!". There's always a few forlorn souls who respond to cult propaganda adverts on t-shirts.

No, he will never be Michael Jackson who was everything Moz, in his dreams, probably expected to be at fourteen

"vapidness, meager talent, diminshed intelligence, zero integrity"

That's a pretty neato summation of Moz's recent products and bizarre outbursts about all and sundry. If Morrissey had vitality, fresh talent, increasing intelligence and integrity, he'd challenge the lazy assumptions of himself, his band and his hardcore zombie 'fans'. "Thank you for living!". Er, no, and "thanks" for trashing your legacy and many people's sunk investment of money, time and emotion in your back catalogue with ridiculous diva nonsense. Morrissey claims to despise LCD herd culture yet is outraged that he is excluded from the primetime. Increasingly, he's under suspicion for being just another fame whore with an excellent span of cultural obscurities which, prior to blogs and curated playlists on social media, made him appear 'unique'. He's trained his voice to allow a deep range of emotions to arise. It's not all over and won't be until he pops his clogs from e-coli poisoning from a dodgy 5*Star Hotel salad. I doubt the scenes following his death will be anything like Valentino or MJ. He's a cautionary tale which gives vindication to all (like me and Green Gartside) who saw through the whole scam of 'popular music as revolution' and prioritised 'real life'.

Won't it be great if Moz 'comesback' with fire and brimstone? I'd love it, but it's looking unlikely given that his recent health crises do not appear to have broken through his shell of imperious privilege and 'fame'. Talent? My plumber is replacing a toilet today. He's just as talented as Moz, but in a different field and is loved by all in my neighbourhood. Pop music, 'fans' and 'stars' are an almost entirely redundant concept. The fact that Moz continues to regurgitate those tired nostrums from the last century is testament to his artistic conservatism. He's anything but a 'radical', more the choice de jour of spoiled brats who think they're 'cultural collossi' becuz they're on The List and so very, very grateful. "Thank you for living" "Whatever else happens-I love you!" Ridiculous. But utter lulz to watch from the balcony, gurgle from the circle, etc.

Try wearing a "God Hates Fags!" t-shirt and see if you get a similar response from devotees of the Westboro Baptist Church. Or "Down with Evolution - Biblical Home Schooling for all!". There's always a few forlorn souls who respond to cult propaganda adverts on t-shirts.

No, he will never be Michael Jackson who was everything Moz, in his dreams, probably expected to be at fourteen

That's a pretty neato summation of Moz's recent products and bizarre outbursts about all and sundry. If Morrissey had vitality, fresh talent, increasing intelligence and integrity, he'd challenge the lazy assumptions of himself, his band and his hardcore zombie 'fans'. "Thank you for living!". Er, no, and "thanks" for trashing your legacy and many people's sunk investment of money, time and emotion in your back catalogue with ridiculous diva nonsense. Morrissey claims to despise LCD herd culture yet is outraged that he is excluded from the primetime. Increasingly, he's under suspicion for being just another fame whore with an excellent span of cultural obscurities which, prior to blogs and curated playlists on social media, made him appear 'unique'. He's trained his voice to allow a deep range of emotions to arise. It's not all over and won't be until he pops his clogs from e-coli poisoning from a dodgy 5*Star Hotel salad. I doubt the scenes following his death will be anything like Valentino or MJ. He's a cautionary tale which gives vindication to all (like me and Green Gartside) who saw through the whole scam of 'popular music as revolution' and prioritised 'real life'.

Won't it be great if Moz 'comesback' with fire and brimstone? I'd love it, but it's looking unlikely given that his recent health crises do not appear to have broken through his shell of imperious privilege and 'fame'. Talent? My plumber is replacing a toilet today. He's just as talented as Moz, but in a different field and is loved by all in my neighbourhood. Pop music, 'fans' and 'stars' are an almost entirely redundant concept. The fact that Moz continues to regurgitate those tired nostrums from the last century is testament to his artistic conservatism. He's anything but a 'radical', more the choice de jour of spoiled brats who think they're 'cultural collossi' becuz they're on The List and so very, very grateful. "Thank you for living" "Whatever else happens-I love you!" Ridiculous. But utter lulz to watch from the balcony, gurgle from the circle, etc.

Lots of people are still invested heavily in Morrissey. At least one poster here claims to have a couple of dozen tattoos, so can hardly turn their back on him now without looking like a complete berk.

That's fine, of course, but as the fanbase shrinks, as all fanbases must, some here now resemble the outer edges of Star Wars fans. You can see why some liked the first movie, and the second. You can even understand why they might have loved the Return Of The Jedi as yoots, but by the time the prequels came along you knew they were defending the indefensible, but had gone too far to back out.

Those who discover Morrissey's work now are unlikely to adore him as he was when he was at his peak, any more than someone hearing the Kinks or the Small Faces for the first time today are going to go completely batshit. As you get older you tend to turn your back on the charts and explore the past.

There's an element of denial in claiming he's as good as he ever was. If anything to attach that much devotion to a man who has portrayed himself as an outsider from the get go seems to go against everything he used to stand for. Frankly, it's a bit odd.

I was at this show and it was one of the best Morrissey shows I've been to (and I've been to many). So I have a difficult time believing all of the negative reviews of the film.

If you think this was one of the best shows you've been to then obviously you haven't been to many gigs. So many gigs were far better than this one!

Lots of people post on web forums as displacement activity. I'm not sure it has any more significance than doodling during a boring meeting. It passes the time in the same way that listening to Morrissey's latest works 'passes the time'. Rubbernecking at his career car-crashes might seem perverse, but he's not exactly known for offering love and support to other artists who are going through a rough patch. Some who post here are trapped in boring jobs, some are housebound with neurasthenia or whatevs. A few are just remorselessly self-absorbed narcissists wiht borderline personality disorders. Can't think what might attract them to a website about The Artist Formerly Known As Morrissey. You keep fluffing him, see where that gets you. Or him.

I'd post about the artistic demise of Leonard Cohen and Paul McCartney but the mymidons / gatekeepers at their sites don't allow it. This place, however, is the frontier of 'free speech', a holdout against enforced civility and 'niceness'. Morrissey's career tribulations are a way to "pass the time". Nothing else. Still, he might come back with another recycled Clash riff and more homages to 'the last gang in town or whatever it was called.

regards.
and which one are you? You moron

Lots of people are still invested heavily in Morrissey. At least one poster here claims to have a couple of dozen tattoos, so can hardly turn their back on him now without looking like a complete berk.

That's fine, of course, but as the fanbase shrinks, as all fanbases must, some here now resemble the outer edges of Star Wars fans. You can see why some liked the first movie, and the second. You can even understand why they might have loved the Return Of The Jedi as yoots, but by the time the prequels came along you knew they were defending the indefensible, but had gone too far to back out.

Those who discover Morrissey's work now are unlikely to adore him as he was when he was at his peak, any more than someone hearing the Kinks or the Small Faces for the first time today are going to go completely batshit. As you get older you tend to turn your back on the charts and explore the past.

There's an element of denial in claiming he's as good as he ever was. If anything to attach that much devotion to a man who has portrayed himself as an outsider from the get go seems to go against everything he used to stand for. Frankly, it's a bit odd.

I loved your statement "As you get older you tend to turn your back on the charts and explore the past." I find myself doing this more and more as todays music just isn't doing it for me. I'm re-exploring older sounds that didn't strike a chord with me in the past and am finding more satisfaction there. I don't think Morrissey is as good as he ever was. I guess I was hoping he'd grow as an artist himself but it seems as if he's hit a slump and is lost himself. We all go thru phases where we wonder who we are and what we represent and just meander all over looking for ourselves. Everyone gets muddled thinking on occasion and often it takes time to find the light at the end of the tunnel.

I've not given up on Morrissey as an artist. I'm simply sitting back and waiting to see what happens, come what may.

Your analogy between fans who admire Morrissey and the brain-washed, blind following of cult members or extremists seems to be misguided. I have enjoyed Morrissey since the Smiths days, but I only became truly captivated around the time that Quarry was released, primarily, because I had spent the nineties being preoccupied with the typical responsibilites of life. However, once I started to listen to his entire body of work, I became increasingly more impressed with his writing. Yes, he is off his game at the moment, but a few unremarkable songs cannot diminish what he has already accomplished. There always seems to be so much speculation and criticism concerning what Morrissey should have done , could have done, and might do. I just prefer to be appreciative for what has been done. Yes, cancellations are frustrating, but the thrill of seeing him live negates that frustration. Yes, I would love a new record that echoes the poetic writing of his previous recordings, but if that doesn't happen, I can just listen to what I already have, because, you see, it is all about enjoying the music. We all have free will. If you don't like him, then don't look at him, listen to him, or even give him another thought.The reason I say that your analogy is misguided is because, unlike some people on this site, if I ever become tired of Morrissey, I will simply walk away. I won't berate others for enjoying his music; I certainly won't waste hours of my time composing and posting messages of hate on his 'fan' website. That behavior seems to be more indicative of a problem. Seeking out others with a similar focus of contempt, and attempting to spread that message is a tactic used by the two groups that you mentioned.

lynnda

As usual Brummieboy and Johnny are an oasis of sanity. How anyone can interpret Morrisseys career of late as anything but a disapointment.
The reason we care is because he was once upon a time, wonderful.
I would love a return to form but honestly, is it likely?
Age is not an excuse, you do not need me to list other artists as old or older who have taken risks and made refreshing new music.
Anyway, he is not old, he's just lost it.

As usual Brummieboy and Johnny are an oasis of sanity. How anyone can interpret Morrisseys career of late as anything but a disapointment.
The reason we care is because he was once upon a time, wonderful.
I would love a return to form but honestly, is it likely?
Age is not an excuse, you do not need me to list other artists as old or older who have taken risks and made refreshing new music.
Anyway, he is not old, he's just lost it.

He is a bit old Peter. I don't really buy into the Dylan stuff 'cause I never rated him in the first place. Much like when Bowie when he no longer had Mick Ronson or Prince when he no longer had The Revolution, Moz was always fighting a losing battle post Smiths. Still, he's made a fist of it for years knocking out plenty of top records. How much can you write though before the better ideas dry up? I was watching a documentary on old rockers the other day and Iggy Pop was saying that while he can still perform his songs better than anyone else he'd struggle to write a good rock and roll song now. I think it's the same for anyone getting older and although Johnny makes some good points I can't think of a single person of Morrissey's age or above that's doing anything that I want to listen to. With me being "into" Moz for the last however many years I'll keep looking out for new stuff but I'm realistic enough to know his best records are behind him.

Back
Top Bottom