How come not many teens listen to the Smiths/Morrissey?

my little 7year old brother loves Morrissey. I wonder if his good taste in music will continue throughout the years.

he knows plenty of Moz lyrics, it's so cute

Great avatar, TUGAY TUGAY!!! great to have another Blackburn Rovers Fan on the boards, i only know of one other on here, although there are a few dingles on here

haha well the man is an utter legend. He plays with the ball so delicately and beautifully, similar to how Moz sings his lyrics (see I made sure there was some link here). Hopefully the dingles stay quiet this year, they're not going to have much to brag about. :thumb:

Moving back on topic, I don't even remember how I first found The Smiths. I'm pretty sure I just very vaguely knew that they were a bit of an alternative band, downloaded some songs and then the obsession began. :D

because teens aren't depressed anymore?

I think this is it! Kids these days (insert crotchety grandma voice) are loaded up on antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds, quite often unnecessarily. When we were growing up, we worked through the pain and got by listening to The Smiths. And then we walked through snow, barefoot, 20 miles to a one-room schoolhouse.

They must be initiated by an elder... LOL! Back in 84 my high school aged cousins came out to visit and brought with them The Smiths, The Cure, Depeche Mode, and New Order. I was in 4th grade at the time and the rest is history. Changed my life and influenced me in ways I don't even realize.

I'm 18, I love Morrissey..But alot of the teens I know don't listen to The Smiths & Morrissey because they sort of don't appreciate older music? Well alot of them only listen to what's on the radio now. It's boring.

I'm 18, I love Morrissey..But alot of the teens I know don't listen to The Smiths & Morrissey because they sort of don't appreciate older music? Well alot of them only listen to what's on the radio now. It's boring.

That is the most accurate account of why modern music in the charts is boring and shit, cause these kids will buy anything thats on the radio. Replace shit like Rhianna, The Saturdays, Flo Rida, and 50 Cent on the Radio with The Smiths, Joy Division, New Order and everything would change for the better

... I'm nineteen! :D and the only reason I know about The Smiths is because an older friend of mine talked about them constantly! Finally he sent me several Smiths songs online... and I was hooked!

so, in reality, I believe not many teens know about Morrissey or The Smiths because the adults have yet to introduce them! I hear a lot of adults groan about kids' musical taste, but yet I NEVER hear them suggest to them what they should be listening to [without being a snob about it, atleast]. hell, it'd be best if the adults actually bought a Smiths record for the kids & GAVE it to them. that'd get their attention! because if they can't readily hear it, they're not going to search too far. which is also a factor in why the kids don't listen to those bands... because they only listen to what's being shoved at them through mainstream. but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be interested!! they just need the means to such bands. with the way the world is evolving, if it's not an .MP3, the kids have no patience for it! so, everyone should start sending the teens some Smiths songs! hehe

I feel like I just talked in circles... oh well! you get my point, yes? ;)
my opinion is slighlty diff
well Im in my late 20 ties now and have discovered the smith/morrisse all by myself also at a time when nobody was talking about them in the media(during the lost years),and no artists i liked have spoken about hem quite a mircacle then to come across.. also all the other music i did listen to as a teenager wasnt music played on the TV/radio...so i wouldnt say there is a lways a need for an adult getting music introduced to them...and also not all teens of today are always absorbing all the things thrown at them...some teenagers do, listen to the mainstream some not that has nothing to do with a certain time period (i.e. talked about music presentation of today) just with the individual teenage person (siome crave for something different and will look out to find it..(thats what the time is is looking for identification and if it fits it fits)

I

Last edited:

I don't like thinking of the Smiths and Morrissey as "older music"; it makes it seem like we're listening to Bon Jovi or Kiss or something dreadful like that. There's no way getting around that Moz is now older than he once was, but the fact is that for over 25 years now his music has been able to hold meaning, something not all "older musicians" can claim, what with all the commercial "comebacks" and older artists jumping on the bandwagon of "I'm older than you, I've been awhile longer, I think I know how to do this show biz thing, arsehat." To me, Morrissey hasn't seemed to have changed much as far as true meaning goes.

I think this is it! Kids these days (insert crotchety grandma voice) are loaded up on antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds, quite often unnecessarily. When we were growing up, we worked through the pain and got by listening to The Smiths. And then we walked through snow, barefoot, 20 miles to a one-room schoolhouse.

:D
You're wrong though! I'm on sertraline and I love the Smiths! :blushing:

my opinion is slighlty diff
well Im in my late 20 ties now and have discovered the smith/morrisse all by myself also at a time when nobody was talking about them in the media(during the lost years),and no artists i liked have spoken about hem quite a mircacle then to come across.. also all the other music i did listen to as a teenager wasnt music played on the TV/radio...so i wouldnt say there is a lways a need for an adult getting music introduced to them...and also not all teens of today are always absorbing all the things thrown at them...some teenagers do, listen to the mainstream some not that has nothing to do with a certain time period (i.e. talked about music presentation of today) just with the individual teenage person (siome crave for something different and will look out to find it..(thats what the time is is looking for identification and if it fits it fits)

oh, you're right! I didn't mean to make it sound like ALL teenagers are like that. There are definitely the select few who seek out The Smiths or Morrissey or others on their own, because they see through the media. I wish I could say I was one of those few, but I wasn't. :p But there is a majority of the kids not listening to "older" or "different" bands, and that's when an adult should maybe speak up.

I’m 20 and became interested in him when YATQ came out (when I was 15/16). Up until then I had only heard a few Smiths songs and Everyday Is Like Sunday on the radio. Irish Blood, English Heart got me interested in him because it was totally different to the charts or anything being played at the time. I fell in love with him when I heard FOTGTD as I absolutely loved the lyrics – I thought they were beautiful. I love him for his clever lyrics and subtlety of some songs. I hate most of the crap in the charts because it’s so in your face and the lyrics could be written by a baby!

I saw him for the first time in May when I dragged along a friend and that was when I finally became obsessed. I didn’t want to go on my own because I knew that most of his fans would be older and I thought that I’d feel quite intimidated by them. I did feel a bit intimidated at first but now I would go see him on my own. I can’t recall seeing any other young people at the gig, but to be fair I was in the second row so I wasn’t really looking at the audience. :p

I think a lot of young people don’t really care about lyrics or if the song has meaning – they just want a catchy tune. The people I know just assume that he is boring and depressing without properly listening. They don’t believe that some of his songs can actually make you laugh! :crazy:

I'm 19, and have been listening to Moz/Smiths since I was 17. I don't know anyone my age who likes him, unfortunately. It'd probably help if he'd come to my country, but he refuses because we enjoy killing baby seals (it's great fun, much recommended)

I've yet to see him live, which saddens me, because who knows how long he has left touring. I hope he has a change of heart about coming to Canada. Norway kills whales, but he goes there. It's no fair :(

This thread is interesting. I would love to meet someone who is just as obsessed as me.

I absolutely loved the lyrics – I thought they were beautiful. I love him for his clever lyrics and subtlety of some songs. I hate most of the crap in the charts because it’s so in your face and the lyrics could be written by a baby!

I think a lot of young people don’t really care about lyrics or if the song has meaning – they just want a catchy tune. The people I know just assume that he is boring and depressing without properly listening. They don’t believe that some of his songs can actually make you laugh! :crazy:

That's exactly how I feel, people just dismiss Morrissey as being depressing, which actually really annoys me. It's completely true also that a lot of popular music is so bloody simplistic now- it's exactly like Morrissey said in that interview (I can't remember which right now, but it might have been Jonathan Ross) about radio sounding like it's made for children. It's madness. :crazy:

I'm 19, and have been listening to Moz/Smiths since I was 17. I don't know anyone my age who likes him, unfortunately. It'd probably help if he'd come to my country, but he refuses because we enjoy killing baby seals (it's great fun, much recommended)

I've yet to see him live, which saddens me, because who knows how long he has left touring. I hope he has a change of heart about coming to Canada. Norway kills whales, but he goes there. It's no fair :(

This thread is interesting. I would love to meet someone who is just as obsessed as me.

Yes, it's a shame that the people in Canada don't get to see him live in their own country.

I've never seen Morrissey live either, although to be fair last time he came anywhere near me I wasn't such a big fan as I am now, and didn't find out in time anyway. :( Plus I'd have to find someone to go with me (a hard task) as my parents are funny about me going to gigs on my own. :crazy:
Oh well... maybe I'll ask for tickets for my birthday or something...:D

Yes, it's a shame that the people in Canada don't get to see him live in their own country.
I've never seen Morrissey live either, although to be fair last time he came anywhere near me I wasn't such a big fan as I am now, and didn't find out in time anyway. :( Plus I'd have to find someone to go with me (a hard task) as my parents are funny about me going to gigs on my own. :crazy:
Oh well... maybe I'll ask for tickets for my birthday or something...:D

don't worry girl-with. did you say you were 29? when you turn 30, your parents might let you go on your own...

Back
Top Bottom