How come not many teens listen to the Smiths/Morrissey?

it's not that they think it's right... it's because that's the only music they have easy access to. it's the only thing that appeals to them because they have so much thrown at them all at once, that they sort of have to shut down in order to deal with it all. if The Smiths were played all the time on TV & Radio, then no one would be having this discussion. it's media that's wrong, not the teens.

... and as I said in my earlier post, most teens would be VERY interested, but you have to give them a reason why, instead of acting like they're dumb and not giving them the light of day. again, with the way the world is evolving, these teens need something that's in their hands [or iPods, rather] quick & easy. if you don't think they should be listening to anything on Disney, then buy them a Smiths record. (but they really won't listen to you if you act like their music is dumb! :p) you just have to be understanding, and then show them that there's more out there than what they're force fed.

and when i say "you" i mean anyone in general, this isn't exactly pointed at one specific person... thus, i didn't quote anyone else's post.

it's not that they think it's right... it's because that's the only music they have easy access to. it's the only thing that appeals to them because they have so much thrown at them all at once, that they sort of have to shut down in order to deal with it all. if The Smiths were played all the time on TV & Radio, then no one would be having this discussion. it's media that's wrong, not the teens.

... and as I said in my earlier post, most teens would be VERY interested, but you have to give them a reason why, instead of acting like they're dumb and not giving them the light of day. again, with the way the world is evolving, these teens need something that's in their hands [or iPods, rather] quick & easy. if you don't think they should be listening to anything on Disney, then buy them a Smiths record. (but they really won't listen to you if you act like their music is dumb! :p) you just have to be understanding, and then show them that there's more out there than what they're force fed.

and when i say "you" i mean anyone in general, this isn't exactly pointed at one specific person... thus, i didn't quote anyone else's post.

Boltkit, you practically read my mind.
I was just thinking- I'm in a philosophical mood today- just how strange (and kinda sad, really) it is for my generation in terms of popular culture these days. We have so much thrown at us, and rammed down our throats, and some of it isn't particularly good.

And the thing is, people who accept these things and even like it aren't usually at fault. It's just that we're constantly being told by the majority of the media what we should be listening to, or watching, or reading, so it makes it difficult to find or really appreciate anything that might be slightly subversive or unique or intelligent.

Not that all very popular media/culture is bad- it's not. It's just the way it tends to go now it seems. Sad, but you can't win them all.

In many ways the 21st century, with information at a whim etc, has benefited people. But the constant media circus, and being overwhelmed with things that you might not necessarily have wanted to associate with normally, is a definite minus point.

OK, rant over- goodnight and thankyou. :)

Last edited:
hmmmm

The Smiths is one of these bands that will always be re-discovered by a younger generation. Morrissey's solo stuff probably a bit less so....?

My last gig was Tampere in the end of June and there were definetely a "healthy" amount of "teens".

I was 15 years old when the Smiths debut album came out in 1984 and have followed Morrissey pretty much ever since. Not followed physically (as in going to lots of gigs) but have bought all the records, etc. I only saw The Smiths once.

It was only in the 90's when I started earning a bit more money which allowed me to travel to see Morrissey every now and again. But then he disappeared for 7 years! Since his comeback in 2004 I have been to loads more gigs.

Morrissey didn't have a recording contract between 1997 - 2004, however, he continued to play gigs all over the world!
Pity you didn't see his gigs at that time.

They're all listening to You Me At Six I'm afraid...

I was 6 (I think). Next January I'll be 21. So.... teenagers on Morrissey, yeah, I was/am one.

I think lots of people my age (16) don't really appreciate true musical talent, innovation and beauty, most my friends tend to listen to the catchy mindless pop chart hits whilst ignoring the genii (geniuses? :confused: lol) of the past such as the smiths/morrissey. My obsession frequently is met with ridicule or perplexion, yet, that said, a few of my friends do share these interests.

:)

*perplexity

Last edited:

This is all very true and insightful :thumb:

most kids don't care much for the musings of a 50 year old.

I sure didn't at the age.

The problem is that the teenagers have all grown up.

Some of them listen to the smiths/moz but don't post here, and also listen to other music, probably more often.

How common is it for some people to love the smiths but have never listened to his solo work?

Hello! I just have to say, I'm a teenager (15, nearly 16), and I adore Morrissey and the Smiths. I discovered the Smiths on the internet because I was bored, and I was looking up lyricists or something; I can't quite remember. I've always been interested in the concept of lyrics that mean something combined with good music, so naturally I fell in love. I had actually heard the Smiths on this one radio station that plays mostly boring crap, but occasionally plays some good music. I didn't really pay attention to the music or lyrics, and I thought the singer had a weird voice. Still, the dj said something about the Smiths being an important band, and the name stuck with me. So, once I saw Morrissey of the Smiths listed as a good lyricist, I went to Youtube, listened to Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now, and fell in love with the line, "I was looking for a job, and then I found a job, and heaven knows I'm miserable now." Since then, I've spent my whole summer listening to the Smiths and Morrissey, reading interviews, looking up their influences, and watching videos. I love Morrissey because of the lyrics and the voice, of course, but also because he's such a great front man. That's the thing a lot of bands don't have. There's just something about him that's so interesting. I am in love. So, there are teenagers out there, but I haven't met any, and I suppose most are the ones who, like me, are lonely and have too much time on their hands. They're the teens who relate to being misfits.

Just a little thought on not having your favourite music played in the media and having other meaningless stuff forced on you:
At the end of the 80s/beginning of the 90s there was this pan-European television station with this pan-European daily radio style television program called On The Air. I loved it, because it was so diverse with a discussion day, penpal day, etc and in between videos were played. These were the days when such programs were not nationalised and really broadcast Europa-wide, which made it extremely interesting, because all those people from all over Europe called or wrote in. What I found quite annoying was that at the time they kept playing New Kids On The Block and Take That and had this competition between those bands. I simply opted out and requested them on a regular basis to play my favourite music, often attached with a dedication. After a while this Silke here got her music videos played by the people who ran the program and dedicated to herself by them. So it is not as if there is nothing you can do about boring music being played in the media, sometimes you just have to do something. Alternatively you can go out and make your own music.

Last edited:
So it is not as if there is nothing you can do about boring music being played in the media, sometimes you just have to do something.

that's also true! so it's up to us, the ones who DO know of Morrissey/The Smiths and other great bands, to get them featured in more "mainstream" media for the kids. ;) :D hehehe

but yes, that goes along with what i was saying earlier: it's really up to us to educate the teens who are unaware. instead of wondering why, or groaning about what they do listen to/what's in the mainstream media, we should do everything we can to open their eyes to other music. :)

There is absolutely no way for kids to discover original music these days. MTV and the like NEVER play videos, radio stations play the same damn songs every hour, yet the internet is VERY easy. I'd think that teenagers right now would be more prone to discovering and "adoring" an artist like Morrissey than they would have in the late 90's. Quite honestly, the music they're being exposed to is little more than background noise, if they are exposed to any at all.

Hello! I just have to say, I'm a teenager (15, nearly 16), and I adore Morrissey and the Smiths. I discovered the Smiths on the internet because I was bored, and I was looking up lyricists or something; I can't quite remember. I've always been interested in the concept of lyrics that mean something combined with good music, so naturally I fell in love. I had actually heard the Smiths on this one radio station that plays mostly boring crap, but occasionally plays some good music. I didn't really pay attention to the music or lyrics, and I thought the singer had a weird voice. Still, the dj said something about the Smiths being an important band, and the name stuck with me. So, once I saw Morrissey of the Smiths listed as a good lyricist, I went to Youtube, listened to Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now, and fell in love with the line, "I was looking for a job, and then I found a job, and heaven knows I'm miserable now." Since then, I've spent my whole summer listening to the Smiths and Morrissey, reading interviews, looking up their influences, and watching videos. I love Morrissey because of the lyrics and the voice, of course, but also because he's such a great front man. That's the thing a lot of bands don't have. There's just something about him that's so interesting. I am in love. So, there are teenagers out there, but I haven't met any, and I suppose most are the ones who, like me, are lonely and have too much time on their hands. They're the teens who relate to being misfits.

Hey! Cool story- the discovery was so enlightening for me- and welcome to solo. Have fun! :)
There is absolutely no way for kids to discover original music these days. MTV and the like NEVER play videos, radio stations play the same damn songs every hour, yet the internet is VERY easy. I'd think that teenagers right now would be more prone to discovering and "adoring" an artist like Morrissey than they would have in the late 90's. Quite honestly, the music they're being exposed to is little more than background noise, if they are exposed to any at all.

Yes, it is surprising if you think about it actually.

that's also true! so it's up to us, the ones who DO know of Morrissey/The Smiths and other great bands, to get them featured in more "mainstream" media for the kids. ;) :D hehehe

but yes, that goes along with what i was saying earlier: it's really up to us to educate the teens who are unaware. instead of wondering why, or groaning about what they do listen to/what's in the mainstream media, we should do everything we can to open their eyes to other music. :)

Exactly boltkit. :)

Step one: Go here.
Step two: View ages of listeners.
Step three: Go from page 1 to 40 counting all below age 20 until your eyeballs bleed.
Step four: ????
Step five: Profit!

Back
Top Bottom