How come not many teens listen to the Smiths/Morrissey?

haha, i will! Most are in love with Dizzee Rascal etc etc :crazy: but I do hear some people humming FOTGTD occassionaly. Well, I guess it is like one of the catchiest ever

Are you a boy or girl?

I am of the teenage... age :squiffy:
and i would class myself as pretty dedicated.
my collection is gathering pace, which is quite pleasing to every aspect of me bar my wallet!

Off to my second Morrissey gig in October, hopefully a third aswell if i can manage to buy a Sheff ticket somewhere!

I think the general reason as to why their is not a mass teen fanbase of either the Smiths or Morrissey is that many teenagers listen to the latest NME bands (which are mostly dire these days) and fall for a catchy tune with 5 year old lyrics.
It is quite annoying that others in my age gap:
a) Don't know who Smiths/Mozza are/is
b) The people who have heard of them mostly think they are miserablists
and finally c) Don't appriciate anything worthwhile in music apart from smart haircuts and wierd outfits.

But it's their loss.

Eminem ("Feminem") is a regular visitor to the Hollywood beaty parlours.
Good for him. A bit of Botox has never done anyone any harm.

And now back to Morrissey.....

... I'm nineteen! :D and the only reason I know about The Smiths is because an older friend of mine talked about them constantly! Finally he sent me several Smiths songs online... and I was hooked!

so, in reality, I believe not many teens know about Morrissey or The Smiths because the adults have yet to introduce them! I hear a lot of adults groan about kids' musical taste, but yet I NEVER hear them suggest to them what they should be listening to [without being a snob about it, atleast]. hell, it'd be best if the adults actually bought a Smiths record for the kids & GAVE it to them. that'd get their attention! because if they can't readily hear it, they're not going to search too far. which is also a factor in why the kids don't listen to those bands... because they only listen to what's being shoved at them through mainstream. but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be interested!! they just need the means to such bands. with the way the world is evolving, if it's not an .MP3, the kids have no patience for it! so, everyone should start sending the teens some Smiths songs! hehe

I feel like I just talked in circles... oh well! you get my point, yes? ;)

Because he's never on the radio or on music channels.And he's old enough to be their grandad.:straightface:

I think considering that The Smiths are an 'old' band for the youth of today they've got a fairly large number of teen fans. This applies less to Morrissey as a solo artist but Quarry certainly brought in a fair amount of young fans. I guess it depends on what you class as a fan though. I'm 18 and know plenty of people who listen to The Smiths now and again but I wouldn't say they're fans in the way I am (urgh that sounds so snobby!) and many fail to recognise that Morrissey is actually an active artist rather than a dusty relic shown draped in flowers on 'I love the 80s' shows. I think The Smiths/ Morrissey will always have teen fans due to the pure brilliance of the music and their prominent place in the annals of musical history, though naturally they will have dramatically less fans than the artists that are the darlings of radio 1 and mtv at that moment in time. To be honest I like it this way, i really don't want it to get to the stage where Smiths t-shirts are worn in the way Ramones t-shirts are sold in topshop and worn by teenagers who have never even heard a single Ramones song.

No, it's because teens are among those poor, poor individuals that think whatever is popular is the right thing to listen to. Whatever is blaring on the radio or being force fed down their throats from MTV, etc. Then those that actually do "listen" the Morrissey/The Smiths only do it for the vintage effect. Well this is in California anyway. Can't be too sure about everywhere else.

I think considering that The Smiths are an 'old' band for the youth of today they've got a fairly large number of teen fans. This applies less to Morrissey as a solo artist but Quarry certainly brought in a fair amount of young fans. I guess it depends on what you class as a fan though. I'm 18 and know plenty of people who listen to The Smiths now and again but I wouldn't say they're fans in the way I am (urgh that sounds so snobby!) and many fail to recognise that Morrissey is actually an active artist rather than a dusty relic shown draped in flowers on 'I love the 80s' shows. I think The Smiths/ Morrissey will always have teen fans due to the pure brilliance of the music and their prominent place in the annals of musical history, though naturally they will have dramatically less fans than the artists that are the darlings of radio 1 and mtv at that moment in time. To be honest I like it this way, i really don't want it to get to the stage where Smiths t-shirts are worn in the way Ramones t-shirts are sold in topshop and worn by teenagers who have never even heard a single Ramones song.

Great post, ko- I salute you. :flowers:

No, it's because teens are among those poor, poor individuals that think whatever is popular is the right thing to listen to. Whatever is blaring on the radio or being force fed down their throats from MTV, etc. Then those that actually do "listen" the Morrissey/The Smiths only do it for the vintage effect. Well this is in California anyway. Can't be too sure about everywhere else.

I agree with the first part RWRW, but as you said at the end there, not all young Smiths/Moz fans can be tarred with one brush. An irritating few maybe, but mostly no. :)

I agree with the first part RWRW, but as you said at the end there, not all young Smiths/Moz fans can be tarred with one brush. An irritating few maybe, but mostly no. :)

That's actually why I added the California part. I've worked at several school districts all throughout Southern California as a Middle and High School teacher and it's all the same. :tears:

Back
Top Bottom