has any member of the Smiths had a UK number 1 single?

Good question. I don't think so. Mark Ronson/Daniel Merriweather got to Number 2 with their version of 'Stop Me'; Electronic's 'Get The Message' got to number 8. I await to be overruled on this, but I can't think of any others.

P.

I don't think so, although "You Have Killed Me" got to No.2 and Electronic's "Disappointed" got to No.6.

I don't think so, although "You Have Killed Me" got to No.2 and Electronic's "Disappointed" got to No.6.

YHKM actually got to no.3. Shame on you!
Singles aside, I think Marr's best overall commercial achievement is co-writing a number 1 album in the US chart with the Modest Mice.

YHKM actually got to no.3. Shame on you!
Singles aside, I think Marr's best overall commercial achievement is co-writing a number 1 album in the US chart with the Modest Mice.

How many of those songs did he actually write though? A lot of the time he "joins" a band and ends up playing stuff they've already written. Did he write "Dashboard"?

How many of those songs did he actually write though? A lot of the time he "joins" a band and ends up playing stuff they've already written. Did he write "Dashboard"?

According to wikipedia:
This song was written the first day Modest Mouse began collaborating with Johnny Marr.
The guitarist later recalled to Uncut magazine: "On the first night we (Marr and Isaac Brock) just set up two amps opposite each other and just got louder and louder and improvised. I just started playing 'Dashboard,' which I'd been playing a few weeks before and forgotten about. And he instantly started improvising the lyrics, which knocked me out. To see someone produce those lyrics just off the top of his head is amazing: I've never seen it done in such a way.

Unless you count the Indie Charts, in which case The Smiths got a No 1 every time around :D

According to wikipedia:

So Brock wrote the music and Marr the lyrics? Unusual! If Isaac thinks nonsensical rubbish like "It should've been, could've been, worse than you would ever know, whoa" is "amazing" though, he needs his ears testing :p

Back
Top Bottom