Fiona Dodwell: “Truth-Tellers Silenced” (December 29, 2023)

Another day, another Fiona piece…

Some nice new photos by Ryan Lowry included:
A8A5E590-29AF-4E62-A112-240AC919E80E.jpeg
CB86CEFB-F275-4E63-B945-5D7348C831CE.jpeg

Second photo from Fiona Dodwell tweet (link posted by Famous when dead):

UPDATE Dec. 31:

Slightly different color version posted by Juan / Instagram. Link posted by Famous when dead (original post):

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course not. The picture was about Hughes- and I brought up black authors who I think are (sometimes very explicitly) referring back to and reinterpreting some od the themes of his work

At what point did I mention or imply that I was threatened by Morrissey?I meant "we" in the general collective sense. He's not limiting me from doing anything. He's entitled to his tastes I just find his framing, references and vernation of his own version of the past to be as dated (in some ways) as it is illuminating to the way he thinks and why.

Sorry, did I misread you? I always have trouble reading your posts for some reason.

You seem to have taken issue with something Morrissey’s done or does, and I’m trying to understand exactly what that is.
No. I just said the photo is an accurate reflection of his tastes and esteem - I'd just like to there are any poets, writers, activists, etc in the Langston Hughes/Baldwin/Wilde/Greer/Gregory etc lineage working today that he finds inspirational or worth considering. He's referred to sociopolitical writers re Immigration and veganism, but not as much to contemporary writers poets etc.

Sometimes that strikes me as a bit stale. Though like you, he could genuinely believe the masters have already done the work

No. I just said the photo is an accurate reflection of his tastes and esteem - I'd just like to there are any poets, writers, activists, etc in the Langston Hughes/Baldwin/Wilde/Greer/Gregory etc lineage working today that he finds inspirational or worth considering. He's referred to sociopolitical writers re Immigration and veganism, but not as much to contemporary writers poets etc.

Sometimes that strikes me as a bit stale. Though like you, he could genuinely believe the masters have already done the work

he hasn't referred to any "sociopolitical" writer re. immigration.

Or even veganism.

I agree with all that and I love your pic of Paul Westerberg who just had a birthday. Can you believe he was born in 1959, like Morrissey? He has remained cool and dignified. As for Chrissie Hynde, I am kind of sick of that battle axe. I like "Brass In Pocket" and thought she was cool when she was dating Ray Davies but I've always thought she was terrible overrated and boring.
Thank you.
And yes, Paul is magificent, I put the pic up for his birthday. I actually did think about he an Morrissey being the same age and the differences and I think even though Paul has screwed up a lot in the past, I think he's always been honest about who he is and people appreciate that. He has matured as he got older and I think he could get a record deal if he wanted one. People who seem to know him say he is retired now and is living in Minneapolis, you can Google his address. He will always be one of my favorites.
Chrissie has been around for a long time and I can see why people would be sick of her, Pretenders stopped being interesting pretty early on.

I could be wrong, but what other present day music artist/band has their pictures taken outside Langston Hughes apt or under his street sign?

An original and I believe, genius move … only Morrissey.
How absolutely ridiculous. Hughes is hardly some obscure, esoteric figure and a street sign in NYC named after him would not be unexpected, it's actually quite expected. Morrissey should have really blown your tiny mind and posed at the playground. You need to get out more. Morrissey constantly uses cultural references, there is nothing genius about it, it gives him an air of intellectualism that many like you overestimate.

whit,we dont use your americanisms where i come from,dead/beat,im watching the first 48 hours on the crime investigation channel,only thing i see are dead americans who are too trigger happy.
ray put the gun away,would be a good line in an M song.
I'm a leftist. I don't own a gun, never have. Guns are for right wingers so...

He's at least as talented as Marr, but he doesn't get the same coverage, because of things he said that just don't align with the required ambient conformity.
That has got f*** all to do with the point I was making. Fiona Dodwell stated that the press never support talent, a statement which is clearly horseshit.

How absolutely ridiculous. Hughes is hardly some obscure, esoteric figure and a street sign in NYC named after him would not be unexpected, it's actually quite expected. Morrissey should have really blown your tiny mind and posed at the playground. You need to get out more. Morrissey constantly uses cultural references, there is nothing genius about it, it gives him an air of intellectualism that many like you overestimate.

No British person has ever heard of him.

Tags
fiona dodwell
Back
Top Bottom