Question Darling I Hug A Pillow missing verse

Mozzypaws

I have a question, how come Morrissey omitted a lyric/verse in the song Darling I Hug A Pillow? On the lyrics sheet on the album, it is there. "Roll and then rage and then roar for one hour, for 55 million years hence you will lie down as powder"

I like the verse and am rather disappointed he doesn't sing it in either the studio or live versions of the song

Any other songs Morrissey has omitted complete verses from and are completely different than what is in the lyric book? The only one I can think of is Jack The Ripper, but on the studio version, he sings the line at least

good song,nice tempo to it.

I always wondered what that "you can only be strong for so long" part of I Don't Mind If You Forget Me is when decoded. 33 years and I still can't make it out. Something about "too weak"...?
It’s hard to put up a front, or act as though you accept the rejection all of the time. It’s painful and exhausting.

Yes, amended.
Chalk one up to autofill (again).
There must have been some last minute mixing for the lyric sheet to have an unsung verse - would love to know what happened there.
FWD.

I love this thread. My favorite missing/changed lyrics:

The "A cold-water room" verse in Picadilly Palare, and when he ends with "I won't be home tomorrow..." It's so poignant, I wonder why he didn't include on the original.

I also love "there were times I could have cheerfully strangled her"...something about a simple adverb like "cheerfully" is such a nice touch in this context.

He's added so many lovely codas to Everyday is Like Sunday live performances over the years, but mine is "every day is like Sunday/when you're on your own/when you're on your own." Was that from Who Put the 'M' in Manchester performance?

He's added so many lovely codas to Everyday is Like Sunday live performances over the years, but mine is "every day is like Sunday/when you're on your own/when you're on your own." Was that from Who Put the 'M' in Manchester performance?
Yes the whole 2004 tour starting the song with the first verse of Subway Train - but it was "when you're alone"

One of the lyric sheets for Suedehead says “oh so many blank pages” rather than “oh so many illustrations” - I think.

Maybe Bona Drag?
That's correct. And he still occasionally sings this version live - it's like he's never been able to fully decide which version of this line he prefers.

The "A cold-water room" verse in Picadilly Palare, and when he ends with "I won't be home tomorrow..." It's so poignant, I wonder why he didn't include on the original.

I just noticed that 1 minute and 35 seconds into Picadilly Palare, there's talking in the background. Is that from the documentary, Johnny Go Home, I wonder?

I just noticed that 1 minute and 35 seconds into Picadilly Palare, there's talking in the background. Is that from the documentary, Johnny Go Home, I wonder?

I always presumed that was Suggs speaking those lines. The intro noise might be documentary sourced though.

I always presumed that was Suggs speaking those lines. The intro noise might be documentary sourced though.
Thanks. So Suggs did backing vocals, and maybe spoken word for dramatic effect. Interesting.

I never heard the added verse for Piccadilly Palare before listening to this video, which starts from about 2:25: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcGA2Wwdlwc

A cold-water room,
It’s not much, I know.
But for now it’s where I belong.
Am I really doing wrong?

Around the centre of town,
is where I belong,
Am I really doing wrong?

I first heard, ‘I really do know’ instead of ‘Am I really doing wrong’. I thought it might be Polari but can’t find any words to match well enough. However, I see Genius.com takes it as that second guess, adding, [Chorus 2 - Extended (Remastered version only)]. So that'll do me. Is that the received wisdom?

2 related threads, one about a rumoured alternative version, not just a different verse, but unlikely -
https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...ccadilly-palare-with-different-lyrics.146665/

and some info on the song recording - https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/piccadilly-palare-master-tape-video.150637/

Just coming across that extra verse, I'd say people could form an impression the entire lyric is different. After all these years, those rarer lines are quite a big discovery, at least for me 🖋️📖👨‍🎤

Back
Top Bottom