Question Darling I Hug A Pillow missing verse

Mozzypaws

I have a question, how come Morrissey omitted a lyric/verse in the song Darling I Hug A Pillow? On the lyrics sheet on the album, it is there. "Roll and then rage and then roar for one hour, for 55 million years hence you will lie down as powder"

I like the verse and am rather disappointed he doesn't sing it in either the studio or live versions of the song

Any other songs Morrissey has omitted complete verses from and are completely different than what is in the lyric book? The only one I can think of is Jack The Ripper, but on the studio version, he sings the line at least

There are a couple of Smiths and solo songs where he sings/says words that aren't on the sheet. For example, the last line of "Suedehead".

I have a question, how come Morrissey omitted a lyric/verse in the song Darling I Hug A Pillow? On the lyrics sheet on the album, it is there. "Roll and then rage and then roar for one hour, for 55 million years hence you will lie down as powder"

I like the verse and am rather disappointed he doesn't sing it in either the studio or live versions of the song

Any other songs Morrissey has omitted complete verses from and are completely different than what is in the lyric book? The only one I can think of is Jack The Ripper, but on the studio version, he sings the line at least
20200318_143439.jpg

Yes indeed.
"thankfully" is missing after 'cannot return'.
Salty 'IN' voice not 'of'...
That said, the were many typos found in previous liner sheets.
🤷
FWD.

Yes, loads- check out the printed lyrics for 'What Kind of People Live in These Houses', from the same album, which contains lines that are never sung: "What kind of people do we admonish, for shining their shoes with furniture polish?"

It's actually quite a common occurrence, that the lyrics supplied by Morrissey for publication are slightly different to what he actually sings. I think these are the original lyrics he enters the studio with and then on the spur of the moment he might change something.

The first instance I can find is 'This Charming Man', where the original printed lyrics on the cover read: 'Why pander life's complexities, when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat?', so it's been happening since the beginning.

I think I'm the only one on here that really doesn't like that song it seems :ROFLMAO: The melody is meh and the lyrics just scream dirty old grandpa to me and always make me cringe (and the additional lyrics would make it even worse). I'm really surprised that it is such a favourite, because neither lyrics nor melody are great in my opinion but tastes are different 🤷‍♀️

Little Man, What Now - the lyric sheet has the last line as 'I looked up to you' but in the song he definitely repeats the line 'I remembered you'.

I think I'm the only one on here that really doesn't like that song it seems :ROFLMAO: The melody is meh and the lyrics just scream dirty old grandpa to me and always make me cringe (and the additional lyrics would make it even worse). I'm really surprised that it is such a favourite, because neither lyrics nor melody are great in my opinion but tastes are different 🤷‍♀️
I find this song alluring and attractive, especially the way he sang it on October 8th. His voice and physical expressions were exquisite.

Last edited:
I know it's not 'his' song, but Moz's cover of Dylan's Only a Pawn in their Game misses a line in the first verse for no apparent reason:

A bullet from the back of a bush
Took Medgar Evers' blood
A finger fired the trigger to his name
A handle hid out in the dark
A hand set the spark
Two eyes took the aim [this line is missing in Moz's version]
Behind a man's brain
But he can't be blamed
He's only a pawn in their game

My guess is the line was missed out by accident, unless Moz thought the verse sounded better, or came across better, with that line omitted? 'Spark' does potentially go better with 'brain', the line about 'eyes' is a bit redundant. Only Moz would have the chutzpah to change Dylan.

Yes, loads- check out the printed lyrics for 'What Kind of People Live in These Houses', from the same album, which contains lines that are never sung: "What kind of people do we admonish, for shining their shoes with furniture polish?"

It's actually quite a common occurrence, that the lyrics supplied by Morrissey for publication are slightly different to what he actually sings. I think these are the original lyrics he enters the studio with and then on the spur of the moment he might change something.

The first instance I can find is 'This Charming Man', where the original printed lyrics on the cover read: 'Why pander life's complexities, when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat?', so it's been happening since the beginning.

The Passions Just Like Mine site did yeoperson's work capturing these variations, as well as many of the live variants.

Another one that sticks out in my memory is from Kill Uncle lyric sheet on "Sing Your Life:"

Have the pleasure of saying what you mean
Have the rare pleasure of meaning what you sing

Which pushes against the rhythm of the song, if you sound it out loud.

I know it's not 'his' song, but Moz's cover of Dylan's Only a Pawn in their Game misses a line in the first verse for no apparent reason:

A bullet from the back of a bush
Took Medgar Evers' blood
A finger fired the trigger to his name
A handle hid out in the dark
A hand set the spark
Two eyes took the aim [this line is missing in Moz's version]
Behind a man's brain
But he can't be blamed
He's only a pawn in their game

My guess is the line was missed out by accident, unless Moz thought the verse sounded better, or came across better, with that line omitted? 'Spark' does potentially go better with 'brain', the line about 'eyes' is a bit redundant. Only Moz would have the chutzpah to change Dylan.

He probably did it on purpose. It arguably does work better.

How about 'Death at One's Elbow'? The lyric sheet says 'Oh Glenn', but he's clearly singing 'Oh Den' throughout.

Yep sorry I love the song too. It kinda has this Elvis-ey vibe to it. I really like that sorta distorted bass synth during the "Why can't you give me some physical love?"

Last edited:
It's worth noting that lyric sheets are not generally created by the artist..... in most cases they're usually farmed out to a company to transcribe the song by the label.

I know this, as i used to work for one of these companies for a short period, they also transcribed films, tv show and produced the lyrics for music score sheets etc.

I always wondered what that "you can only be strong for so long" part of I Don't Mind If You Forget Me is when decoded. 33 years and I still can't make it out. Something about "too weak"...?

There are a few places on Viva Hate that don't quite match the sheet in the inlaycard of the cassette I bought in 1988. Also I've always thought there was an extra line in the last verse of "Rush And A Push" that is omitted from all printed lyric sheets.

I always wondered what that "you can only be strong for so long" part of I Don't Mind If You Forget Me is when decoded. 33 years and I still can't make it out. Something about "too weak"...?
I always heard it as “you can only be strong for so long, it may not eat you but it will be to eat”

Back
Top Bottom