Cheapo Accomodation in NYC

mhicks

Senior Citizen member
I've been to NYC about 10 times and usually stay with friends. Looking at hotel prices it seems to be really expensive for the most basic of rooms. Anyone there have any ideas?

Try to look on the outskirts of the city -- Long Island City or Queens. That's all you would take is a quick, easy train ride to NYC. Some areas of Queens have fantastic train service, although they are not tourist towns, by any means, so I'm sure that the supply of hotels is limited. I'd try Long Island City, as it's a business area and would probably require a number of hotels.

Jersey City right near the Path Train is another good option to. Its a cheap $1.50 ride into NYC in less then 10 minutes.

What are those areas like though, are they rough? Never really ventured outside Manhatten.

Jersey City right near the Path Train is another good option to. Its a cheap $1.50 ride into NYC in less then 10 minutes.

What are those areas like though, are they rough? Never really ventured outside Manhatten.

I stayed in a Hampton Inn just across the river on the other end of the Lincoln Tunnel. It was about $200 or so, IIRC. The best part was that I actually drove from the hotel to the venue (the parking lot exited onto the Lincoln Tunnel entrace ramp), and parked for $20 in the microscopic BB King's parking garage. We were back at our hotel about 15 minutes after we left the Sons + Heirs aftershow! :guitar:

Didn't even have to see much of the Jersey neighborhood, but what I did see was big-box stores & strip malls, just like everywhere else in the US.

I had to get a last minute hotel once in Manhattan and just needed something to spend the night. Ended up staying at Hotel Belleclaire, 250 W 77th St, New York, NY 10024.

Booked it through expedia.com, paid only $105 for the night and I was very surprised that the room was much bigger than places I paid $200 before. It also has free wireless, which you usually pay $20 a day to use.

It's uptown, but it's manhattan, easy to get around.

most hotels in manhattan are disgusting and overpriced.
you cant get a decent room for under 500 bucks.

i suggest going on craigslist. Many people let their apts out for reasonable fees. It's a much better alternative, you'll have a kitchen and more space.

Good luck.

If you are talking about Philly I'll be there on the Sunday for the show, with or without ticket! Been to Philly load of times, love South Street!

no that place I quoted is in north jersey and a 15 minute train ride to NYC..

As long as you purchase tickets for philly when they go on sale, you'll be fine..its seated so it won't sell out right away.

If you are talking about Philly I'll be there on the Sunday for the show, with or without ticket! Been to Philly load of times, love South Street!

For the Hammerstein shows in October '07 I stayed here:

http://www.chelseahostel.com/

I booked a private room and really enjoyed my stay there.
I never stayed at hostels before (well I did when I was a teenager, aaaages ago :rolleyes: ) but this was really good for a hostel. Very basic room of course but in a nice area, walking distance to for instance Madison Square Garden, close to many restaurants, subway etc. I normally stay in hotels too, but even more expensive hotels in NYC had worse reviews than the Chelsea Hostel.

For the Hammerstein shows in October '07 I stayed here:

http://www.chelseahostel.com/

I booked a private room and really enjoyed my stay there.
I never stayed at hostels before (well I did when I was a teenager, aaaages ago :rolleyes: ) but this was really good for a hostel. Very basic room of course but in a nice area, walking distance to for instance Madison Square Garden, close to many restaurants, subway etc. I normally stay in hotels too, but even more expensive hotels in NYC had worse reviews than the Chelsea Hostel.

So did i! That's where i plan on staying this time around as well...

or just try priceline. go for a five-star hotel, type in $110 and see what happens. it's worked for me before, but not always. the problem is - you can't change dates, but i don't think you have much flexibility anyways. also, try closer to the date - there are plenty of hotels in new york and i doubt they all sell out on any given day. when they have a better idea about their capacity they will likely offer lower rates.

Ive stayed in these hotels before - and some are better than others. i preferred the amsterdam inn on the UWS (the cleanest) but the Union Square Inn is in a great location (next to the beauty bar if youre familiar with the area).

http://www.nyinns.com/

i used to use priceline as i could get some pretty sweet deals. and there was a comfort inn in LIC (Long island city, queens) that was nice, but the location was a bit sketch. might be better now as LIC seems to be more popular

Back
Top Bottom