Chael Sonnen (MMA) chooses "How Soon Is Now?" as his #1 song to walk out to before a fight

Chael P. Soonen writes about his top 10 songs to walk out to before an MMA fight. Number 1 is "How Soon Is Now?"
Mr. Sonnen Writes: "The first time I heard this song I thought it must come from another planet; yet at the same time I felt it had come from a portion of my soul I was afraid to access for fear that it would drive me mad. Easily the single-most original, astonishing, and brilliant song of the last quarter-century. It confronts and describes issues that fighters are the living, breathing incarnations and victims of. The song is a throbbing, relentless, inexhaustible welter of loneliness, insecurity, and morose self-pity, sonically crystallized and packaged, then disguised as a brilliant pop song. If fighters could be captured in a song, it would be this one."
I knew there was a reason I like watching this guy fight.

Gosh, nobody responded yet?

I thought this was fantastic.

A little overwrought in places, maybe ("a portion of my soul I was afraid to access for fear that it would drive me mad"), but he's an MMA fighter, so I guess it makes sense.

If I were to object that I don't hear "morose self-pity" in "How Soon Is Now", would Chael kick my ass?

In his book "The Voice of Reason", Chael P. Sonnen writes about his top 10 songs to walk out to before an MMA fight. Number 1 is "How Soon Is Now?"

Mr. Sonnen writes: "The first time I heard this song I thought it must come from another planet; yet at the same time I felt it had come from a portion of my soul I was afraid to access for fear that it would drive me mad. Easily the single-most original, astonishing, and brilliant song of the last quarter-century. It confronts and describes issues that fighters are the living, breathing incarnations and victims of. The song is a throbbing, relentless, inexhaustible welter of loneliness, insecurity, and morose self-pity, sonically crystallized and packaged, then disguised as a brilliant pop song. If fighters could be captured in a song, it would be this one."

I knew there was a reason I like watching this guy fight.

The Voice of Reason: A V.I.P. Pass to Enlightenment by Chael Sonnen - Amazon.com

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
His description of the song is far more eloquent than I would expect from an MMA fighter. I think it's a great quote.

This fighter is clueless. The song is about being gay. Everybody knows that!

What a surprise! I love Chael's ridiculous antics and his fighting is amazing. He is so quick witted and hilarious albeit a tad over the line. The fact that he is a Smiths fan crystallizes my love him. Chael's first fight with Silva was a one sided beating until he got sloppy in the last round. The rematch was fantastic though, and as much as I hate to see Chael lose credit belongs to Anderson Silva for an amazing performance.

Surprising eloquence from such a brutish man. I still am not a fan of the human cockfights though. At the rate our society is degrading , it wouldn't surprise me if Roman gladiator-style battles to the death will be regular television fare.

MMA = Moronic Macho A-holes.
Not sure what is worse the "fighters" or those that watch such idiocy.

Surprising eloquence from such a brutish man. I still am not a fan of the human cockfights though. At the rate our society is degrading , it wouldn't surprise me if Roman gladiator-style battles to the death will be regular television fare.

And the slopes are slippery for this pseudo intellectual twit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom