Celebratin' Shane MacGowan

newFile-6.jpg

Live stream :

Yeah I came across it just now on tv. (Sky). Nice singing.

Complete with full furry tail...and dancing.(y)

Last edited:
The Pogues playing The Parting Glass and Shane rests in an ordinary wicker casket

newFile.jpg

It was the most amazing and beautiful funeral ceremony I have ever seen.
Rest in peace Shane 💔

Nick Cave performed Rainy Night in Soho

"Born on the birthday of Jesus and passing on the same days as
Oscar Wilde and Patrick Kavanagh , and his funeral celebration
mass today on this great feast of Mary and Sinead's birthday, all
seems right", Fr. Gilbert told mourners.

b25lY21zOjA3NjIzYmQ5LTg5ZmUtNDgyOS05YWJjLWIwNGE0NjVkYTRkZDozOTA0MTZkNy05MjMyLTQ3YmUtYmVhOC1iZTQzMGE5YTg4ZGQ=.jpg

I don't get it

So they kept his body intact so that they'd have something to carry at the funeral and then they cremated it?

The whole purpose of a casket is that you're going to be buried underground in it. But if you're not going to BE underground OR have a body, why would you have casket?

Or you could have a casket for performances sake but why bother even putting the body in it?

It does look like a lovely funeral though (if funerals can be lovely, personally I think they're a bit icky)

I had no idea fairytale in new york was so contentious, so many people saying they don't like it when it comes on at work

It has always been my favourite christmas song without exception

And I do like my christmas songs

I had no idea fairytale in new york was so contentious, so many people saying they don't like it when it comes on at work

It has always been my favourite christmas song without exception

And I do like my christmas songs
I hate Xmas songs as a general rule. But Fairy Tale of NY isn't really a Christmas song. It has Xmas as a back drop, but the song is about the relationship between the 2 characters. That's why it is so timeless.

I don't get it

So they kept his body intact so that they'd have something to carry at the funeral and then they cremated it?

The whole purpose of a casket is that you're going to be buried underground in it. But if you're not going to BE underground OR have a body, why would you have casket?

Or you could have a casket for performances sake but why bother even putting the body in it?

It does look like a lovely funeral though (if funerals can be lovely, personally I think they're a bit icky)
Yes, after the official funeral ceremony in the church, the coffin with the body was transported to the crematorium, where a private ceremony was held only for the family and closest relatives, combined with cremation. I don't think the urn was kept in the casket during the church ceremony.
At least that's what I understood from the report on the Independient website.

Last edited:
So he was cremated? Why did he have a casket then??
I don't get it

Yeah, pretty sure the church prefers to have the body
in the casket durin' the holy funeral ceremony.
They probably even put the holy oils on his body.
Then when the body gets cremated, it's inside of the coffin
or at least somethin' like a pine box or cardboard box.
A body don't get cremated by its self.

Last edited:
Steve Lillywhite recalls working with The Pogues in the current Hot Press special edition. Lillywhite was married to Kirsty McCall, and he produced Vauxhall And I; spot the passing Moz mention.

2312 Hot Press Poges Lillywhite 1 001.jpg

2312 Hot Press Poges Lillywhite 2 001.jpg

Tags
shane macgowan the pogues
Back
Top Bottom