Celebratin' Shane MacGowan

The Wild Turkey

Wild T!
Turkerator
When The Pogues kicked Shane MacGowan out of the band,
he said to them "What took you so long?".
I can only imagine Shane lyin' in his hospital bed and sayin'
the same thing to death.

He was a one of kind artist and a lyricist up there with with
Moz, Bob Dylan, Gil Scott-Heron and Joni Mitchell.

This here thread is to celebrate one of my favorites.

Neither the nails of the cross nor the blood of Christ can be your hope this eve.” I loved his preoccupations with Catholicism and death. One of my very favorites of the 80s. With Andy Rourke, Sinéad O’Connor, and now Shane MacGowan, 2023 has been exceptionally cruel—“to hell with it.”

As great as the instrumental version on the album is, the real delight is the sung version. He doesn’t do it shouty or staccato, just assured and almost slurred. I think it was Nick Cave in the early aughts documentary who said MacGowan could be drunk and saunter up to the mic bored with his hands in his pockets and still give you great vocal performance.

One of Shane's influences was the writer Brendan Behan.
This song was used in Brendan's play The Quare Fellow,
about the inmates in Mountjoy Prison.

You’re the measure of my dreams ... One of those lines you never forget

1_JS306701969.jpg

This is my favorite live version of Dirty Old Town . It's fantastic and of course Shane in his all drunken glory.
Sláinte !

The Jesus And Mary Chain paid tribute to Shane.
"Shane McGowan - he was truly one of the greats and although he may be gone,
he'll never be forgotten.”
Shane sang lead vocals on The Jesus And Mary Chain song God Help Me.

Nick Cave pays tribute to the late Shane MacGowan

As great as the instrumental version on the album is, the real delight is the sung version. He doesn’t do it shouty or staccato, just assured and almost slurred. I think it was Nick Cave in the early aughts documentary who said MacGowan could be drunk and saunter up to the mic bored with his hands in his pockets and still give you great vocal performance.

This was a funny story, regardin' Rocky Road To Dublin.

David Simon, who created the TV series The Wire, also shared an entertaining story about an encounter he had with MacGowan in a long Twitter thread. He met MacGowan only a couple of times, and one of those was backstage at Washington, D.C.’s 9:30 club, where he attempted to thank MacGowan for allowing him to use the Pogues’ “Body of an American” on the show, calling it “a perfect song.”
“He shrugged,” Simon recalled, adding that he told MacGowan, “And can I also say it’s an honor to meet one of the greatest songsmiths and storytellers of our time.” “I believe I gibbered a few more sentences of hagiography before he gave me a look of what I took to be certain disgust,” Simon wrote. ” Seriously, the man scared the hell out of me. Finally, he leaned into my face.
“‘Da Rockin’ Roll Da Dubbing.’
“Excuse me? I asked him to repeat himself.
“‘Da Roggin Roll Da Dubbing.’
“Shit,” Simon continued. “I couldn’t make that out. I thought about nodding sagely, but then imagined myself being called out on it and beaten savagely with a Powers bottle. ‘I’m sorry. One more time on that.’
“He rolled his eyes and enunciated with a certain exaggerated and forced sobriety. ‘The Rocky Road to Dublin,’ he said. I finally realized. ‘The Rocky Road to Dublin,’ I repeated proudly. ‘Oh yes.’
“‘Now that’s a fecking song,’ he said, smiling just enough so that I could breathe. ‘And nobody knows who fecking wrote it.’ And then he hissed his magnificent laugh at me, shook my hand and went to get another drink. May his memory be a blessing to everyone who knew or loved him, or admired his great art,” he concluded.”

Last edited:
Shane wrote Lorca's Novena, about the assassination of the poet
Garcia Lorca, as a intercession for mercy.

This is one of them songs where ya knew Shane was onto somethin'
different.

Ignacio lay dying in the sand
A single red rose clutched in a dying hand
And the women wept to see their hero die
And the big black birds gathered in the sky

Mother of all our joys
Mother of all our sorrows
Intercede with him tonight
For all of our tomorrows

The years went by and then the killers came
And took the men, marched them up the hill of pain
And Lorca, the f***** poet they left 'til last
Blew his brains out with a pistol up his arse

Mother of all our joys
For all of our tomorrows

The killers came to mutilate the dead
But ran away in terror to search the town instead
But Lorca's corpse, as he had prophesied, just walked away
And the only sound was the women in the chapel praying

Mother of all our joys
For all of our tomorrows

The Boss Springsteen paid tribute to Shane and predicts
people will still be singin' Shane's songs in a 100 years.

Over here on E Street, we are heartbroken over the death of Shane MacGowan.

Shane was one of my all-time favorite writers. The passion and deep intensity of

his music and lyrics is unmatched by all but the very best in the rock and roll canon.

I was fortunate to spend a little time with Shane and his lovely wife Victoria the last

time we were in Dublin. He was very ill, but still beautifully present in his heart and spirit.

His music is timeless and eternal. I don’t know about the rest of us, but they’ll be singing

Shane’s songs 100 years from now.

Tags
shane macgowan the pogues
Back
Top Bottom