Born-again atheists? All aboard...

just to add, I'm glad they use the word 'probably'. a lot of people on the website were calling for it not to be included. that would've seemed a bit arrogant...

they were hoping to raise £5,000 for the bus posters.
the campaign started today and it's already rasied £25,000.
and it's hardly had any publicity!

Even if there aren't many, it doesn't mean people's atheism is the cause for their unhappiness.

Ah! Very good--you got it. :) I'm just saying that anecdotally, I don't know any atheists who are truly happy. I know that I'm not--not because I'm an atheist, but because the very skepticism that has made me an atheist also gives me a cynical outlook on life.

it's a good point. I think there are studies showing that religious folk are generally happier.
I do quite like the idea of this campaign though. I think the world could probably benefit from a little more humanism...

Dellusional. It's easily to be happy when you're completely deluded. It's also worth noting how much religion can ruin peoples lives as well, though.

On the buses: Earlier in the year there were these quotes from the bible on buses about how if you didn't accept God you were going to hell and stuff. Which offended me. So, yeah. And by putting the 'probably' in there, it's already less extreme. The people who thought of this can expect to have their home firebombed by Muslim extremists, though.

Dellusional.

How is that fair? I believe in God, but that doesn't mean that I'm going out and picketing gay weddings or abortion clinics or bothering anyone. I'm an extremely open minded person. And as long as I'm not hurting anyone, I don't see how anyone has the right to criticize my beliefs.

Hmmm...

223075056_a45d7a57c8.jpg

well the news has (within the last hour) hit the BBC and many other news websites.
they're gonna raise an absolute fortune! millions, I expect...

My best friend grew up in this cult called Questhaven. It's deep in the forests of backwoods San Marcos, CA (which means nothing to you) Anyway, Questhaven was TOTALLY New Age. My friend was told things like, if he wore brown, he would be creating a harmful aura around himself and basically just stay away from brown.

The leader was this woman (I am not making this up; I went there with him one Sunday) her name was Sunny Angel. (we called her, Sunny Ankles) but their basic beliefs were that reincarnation was a fact, there was no heaven or hell, and you had to make offerings to this woman. She was supposed to have psychic abilities. (riiiiight)

Then my friend became a Christian. I was already an atheist by then, and I was playing around with tarot cards just for fun. Maybe I was a Wiccan Atheist ha) he yelled at me, "You are going to hell!" and slam the door, tres romantique.

But then he had an epiphany. He was living with the same man for 10 years and the marriage was dissolving. His boyfriend basically ignored him, didn't want sex, didn't want to do anything but stay online or fiddle with his Playstation.

Finally my friend had enough of this and his boyfriend confessed he met some guy named HANS (ha) on a chat room for *bears*. In the gay terminology a *bear* is a big hairy dude, not like a pretty boy twink. Anyway he left him, and my friend went on a year long binge, after praying to god every night and pleading with him to make his boyfriend come back. God never listened. So my friend threw himself into the club scene, and basically screwed or was screwed anyone with a dick. (I'm surprised he's not dead, because he's slept with over 800 people)

He then learned the hard lesson. That he had to rely on himself, trust in himself, no angels were going to come descending (sic) to earth, and hell was a superstition to make people stay in line. It still kind of shocks me though when he talks about being an atheist because he was such an ardent christian. He said, when you're dead, you're dead, and I played Devils Advocate with him and said, "Well, okay, you die. But what's the whole purpose of this living and dying?" He couldn't answer me. Can any of you answer it?

Ah! Very good--you got it. :) I'm just saying that anecdotally, I don't know any atheists who are truly happy. I know that I'm not--not because I'm an atheist, but because the very skepticism that has made me an atheist also gives me a cynical outlook on life.

I'm a cynic and a Christian. Imagine how confused my head is :p

Tags
athiest bus religion
Back
Top Bottom