Great Expectations first full trailer - they’ve done it again

AAFF9961-DE1-E-4-E6-D-BAAD-AEB3053-AB66-C.png

“The show has already attracted criticism for being woke and pandering to Gen-Z with a foul-mouthed Pip (played by Fionn Whitehead), anti-Empire sentiments and an opium-addicted Miss Havisham (Olivia Colman).”

“A sexed-up Dickens with multi-ethnic casting is exactly what anyone and everyone would expect. It is the most predictable thing, like Tuesday following Monday. And yet every time the makers expect our gobs to be smacked, and the media scream ‘whoa Nellie, bit daring!’”

“Actor Ashley Thomas (aka rapper Bashy) who plays Mr Jaggers – the highly successful Victorian lawyer – tells the Telegraph there were 15,000 black people living in London by 1760. Fair enough. The trouble comes when we are expected to believe that the country was full of perfectly integrated, thriving people of colour and was also – at the very same time – a hotbed of virulent racism and colonialism.”

“Elsewhere Fionn Whitehead, who plays hero Pip, reveals that he hasn’t read Great Expectations as he couldn’t ‘even try to decode the language’. Terrifying, difficult, archaic language such as ‘I was too cowardly to do what I knew to be right’ or ‘It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold’. But don’t worry, because Fionn hopes this version is more ‘accessible to young people’ because he gets to swear in it.”

“A sexed-up Dickens with multi-ethnic casting is exactly what anyone and everyone would expect. It is the most predictable thing, like Tuesday following Monday. And yet every time the makers expect our gobs to be smacked, and the media scream ‘whoa Nellie, bit daring!’”

“Actor Ashley Thomas (aka rapper Bashy) who plays Mr Jaggers – the highly successful Victorian lawyer – tells the Telegraph there were 15,000 black people living in London by 1760. Fair enough. The trouble comes when we are expected to believe that the country was full of perfectly integrated, thriving people of colour and was also – at the very same time – a hotbed of virulent racism and colonialism.”

“Elsewhere Fionn Whitehead, who plays hero Pip, reveals that he hasn’t read Great Expectations as he couldn’t ‘even try to decode the language’. Terrifying, difficult, archaic language such as ‘I was too cowardly to do what I knew to be right’ or ‘It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold’. But don’t worry, because Fionn hopes this version is more ‘accessible to young people’ because he gets to swear in it.”

I’ve already seen this series adaptation and I think it is very good.

The nonsense re having black actors etc is just that nonsense and irrelevant.

The fact there weren’t many black people in London at that time is irrelevant.

it is drama, it doesn’t have to portray literally. Gentleman Jack was a Portrayal of a lesbian but played not by a lesbian.

There are depictions of Jesus and Judas going back decades that portray them as black too but does it matter? Was long before the invention of the word woke.

Are we trying to stop creative choice by saying black actors are not allowed to play dickens characters or Shakespeare characters? It’s nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom