Are Morrissey's lyrics just not that good anymore?

It's a debate that will never end, but I can say with almost absolute certainty that if Morrissey wrote the lyrics for songs such as Girlfriend in a Coma or Suedehead in 2008, people would still be saying his lyrics were on the general decline. Conversely, if First of the Gang was a Smiths song it would be hailed as lyrical genius.

I'm exaggerating to a point, but aside from the music and lyrics of a Smiths or Morrissey song, there's all the baggage that's attached to it. The biggest suitcase on that carousel contains the changes in the listener's life -- but it's the one suitcase whose contents so many fans seem to ignore.

When I hear a song that I really like I try to find more songs by the artist. Later, will look to find out about the artist's character. It's the music that draws first and foremost.

If Morrissey is attracting a new, youthful, audience that means the songs are good enough for them and the songwriting (music and lyrics) are still of sufficient standard to be noticed and appreciated.

Some here will have been listening for years, know the songs well, have their opinions about what is the "best" work. As his life changes, his work changes. As our lives change, different songs will appeal according to our understanding of our own situation. Is it really necessary to know very much about Morrissey's life to appreciate the songs? Because without having experienced it for ourselves, we wouldn't be able to understand and enjoy the way he writes...

How can quality be measured? By record sales, by tour receipts? By loyalty of audience or longevity of career? Are awards or "Hall of Fame" of real significance? Or is a song good because it communicates universal experience in a way that touches and affects people in a way that enhances their life? How can you measure that?

i agree thats a nice post by the way...

I think people are misunderstanding what I am saying.

Whilst I am saying the new song lyrics are still good, they are as literary ventures not as unique and delicate as they were in the earlier years of his career.

I really do think he is has a slight chance of becoming somewhat of a walking cliche, and I of course do not want that in the slightest.

I think people are misunderstanding what I am saying.

Whilst I am saying the new song lyrics are still good, they are as literary ventures not as unique and delicate as they were in the earlier years of his career.

I really do think he is has a slight chance of becoming somewhat of a walking cliche, and I of course do not want that in the slightest.

Since we're saying what we're saying, what I'm saying is that the lyrics I expect to change, and I'm happy with that. The music (IMO) only ever gets worse and therefore the lyrics lose their emotional partner.

If it was the lyrics alone that mattered, Moz could just release audiobooks instead of albums.

Since we're saying what we're saying, what I'm saying is that the lyrics I expect to change, and I'm happy with that. The music (IMO) only ever gets worse and therefore the lyrics lose their emotional partner.

If it was the lyrics alone that mattered, Moz could just release audiobooks instead of albums.

I never doubted for a second you were saying anything less.

However, I don't want people to think I am unhappy with Morrissey's latest offerings.

Whilst there are songs I generally don't like, I still think the future is promising for him, however I am suggesting that his lyrics have declined sharply in quality in his latest songs and I do not want him to become a walking tongue in cheek cliche, because as much as he might think it, he isn't all we need.

(I think the music is increasing in quality)

they are as literary ventures not as unique and delicate as they were in the earlier years of his career.

Isn't it possible he doesn't regard them as "literary ventures" anymore? Maybe he has changed the way he views pop lyrics, so what you're hearing isn't a "decline" so much as a shift in philosophy. Maybe he realized he could turn his favorite books into songs for the rest of his career and felt a chill creep down his spine...

Isn't it possible he doesn't regard them as "literary ventures" anymore? Maybe he has changed the way he views pop lyrics, so what you're hearing isn't a "decline" so much as a shift in philosophy. Maybe he realized he could turn his favorite books into songs for the rest of his career and felt a chill creep down his spine...

Maybe, in fact no - you are right.
But would Morrissey be as popular as he is now if the quality of his lyrics was of that of his latest offerings as appose to his earlier work?

Maybe, in fact no - you are right.
But would Morrissey be as popular as he is now if the quality of his lyrics was of that of his latest offerings as appose to his earlier work?

I doubt he would be, no. But I believe his present style is no accident; he would not be writing as he is now if he hadn't released all those albums before. It all makes sense if viewed as one continuous work of art. He doesn't need to write another "Meat Is Murder" or "Queen is Dead". He's done it, and the songs exist side by side with his current work. In my opinion, when he plays new and old songs at his concerts, the different phases of his career do stand out from each other but everything sounds better because of that variety.

I doubt he would be, no. But I believe his present style is no accident; he would not be writing as he is now if he hadn't released all those albums before. It all makes sense if viewed as one continuous work of art. He doesn't need to write another "Meat Is Murder" or "Queen is Dead". He's done it, and the songs exist side by side with his current work. In my opinion, when he plays new and old songs at his concerts, the different phases of his career do stand out from each other but everything sounds better because of that variety.

You are right - I never thought about it like this before.
I mean, I still love alot of his new work, and I have always appreciated his current lifestyle and how it affects his lyricism.

However, I think the fact that I can relate to the Morrissey of 25 years ago much easier than the middle aged millionaire has to have had some effect on the works I cherish.

However, I think the fact that I can relate to the Morrissey of 25 years ago much easier than the middle aged millionaire has to have had some effect on the works I cherish.

I definitely hear what you're saying. I prefer the Morrissey in tattered Levi's who quoted Shelagh Delaney all day long, too. I can't relate to Gucci shirts and legal feuds.

Still, it doesn't affect how I view the earlier work. In fact, I think it reflects well on it. Consider that when Morrissey sings about lawsuits and fame and how flying first class isn't what it used to be, he's being absolutely honest about his situation. Every song from "Hand In Glove" to "Children In Pieces" reflects his life with complete faithfulness to the way he actually lives. For him to write about "a comfortless flat in Manchester" now would be beyond disingenuous-- it'd be insulting in the extreme. More than that, it would make all his previous work seem like nothing more than an affectation, just something he observed while passing through as a tourist ("taking advantage of/breaking the back of love" as Ian McCulloch once put it).

Nearly every older singer/songwriter I can think of betrays his or her own past by trying to maintain the same point of view they had when they were younger. So while I agree that his older songs were easier to identify with, there's a consistent authenticity to his work that keeps everything strong and real. Neither Morrissey or Marr has done anything to tarnish his past, in my opinion.

But yeah-- middle-aged millionaires are not my bosom buddies either.

Like who?

I was thinking specifically of David Bowie but also Bono, Lou Reed, Jagger, Madonna...almost anyone, really. Not to say their lyrics have remained exactly the same-- I'm sure there are songs that reflect a more "mature" point of view-- but more generally, as artists, they're pretending like their life-clocks still read "1986". Nuh-uh.

Actually, in light of my "Back of Love" quote, I could also mention Ian McCulloch, which I hate to do 'cause I love the guy. Some of his recent songs are definitely more "middle-aged" but he's still crooning about love in the guise of aquatic imagery. The single "Stormy Weather" is a fantastic Bunnymen song but I was totally put off by the metaphor in the title-- "Ocean Rain" is 23 years old for crying out loud.

Fat Bob, too.

Or Michael Stipe/R.E.M., with their most recent single sounding like a decent rehash of their mid-90s incarnation.

I think Morrissey far more accurately reflects his age and social standing than any of the above named.

I think he's slipping. I like Quarry, (Although i thought Ringleader was pretty so-so.) the new tracks sound good, nut nothing in the past few years has had the lyrical depth of Suedehead, etc.

Suedehead?
I think those lyrics are average at best and I can't really understand why it is considered one of his best songs. why do you come here? i'm so sorry

Like so many other people here, I just can't figure out why someone with Morrissey's natural musical gifts thinks "My Dearest Love" sounds like a vinyl B-Side, and "That's How People Grow Up" sounds like a hit.

:

Hmmm, like it or not, 'That's How People Grow Up' was a hit. And I don't see how Morrissey can be considered to have 'musical gifts' seeing as he's never wrote any music & can't play an instrument.

I'm not having a go, I'm just saying.

As an aside: how cool would it be if Morrissey learned some guitar, wrote some music & made a real 'solo album'?

As an aside: how cool would it be if Morrissey learned some guitar, wrote some music & made a real 'solo album'?

Very cool, but he's always struck me more as a potential piano player. Can't you just imagine him banging out the chords to "Last Night I Dreamt" while singing solo? On a grand piano, of course. That would be magnificent.

Very cool, but he's always struck me more as a potential piano player. Can't you just imagine him banging out the chords to "Last Night I Dreamt" while singing solo? On a grand piano, of course. That would be magnificent.

Oh yes it would! Thinking about it, here I am saying that Moz has no musical talent at all, but his playing on Death Of A Disco Dancer was pretty good.
Mind you, if we're going to have Morrissey + piano, he may as well collaborate with Ben Folds.

Back
Top Bottom