Are Morrissey's lyrics just not that good anymore?

raincoated lover

concrete sister
:eek:
I am beginning to worry that he is relying on over-exaggurated tongue in cheek ('All You Need Is Me', 'That's How People Grow Up'), as appose to the lyrical beauty he has been known for.

Last edited:
:eek:
I am beginning to worry that he is relying on over-exaggurated tongue in cheek ('All You Need Is Me', 'That's How People Grow Up'), as appose to the lyrical beauty he has been known for.

Morrissey isn't a depressed young adult living in his mother's house immersed in the culture of the 1960's anymore, and hasn't been for a long time.

Has The World Changed Or Has He Changed? Both.

Morrissey isn't a depressed young adult living in his mother's house immersed in the culture of the 1960's anymore, and hasn't been for a long time.

Has The World Changed Or Has He Changed? Both.

But it almost seems that he has nothing to talk about anymore? He wasn't a depressed young adult living in his mother's house immersed in the culture of the 1960's when he recorded Vauxhall & I, and that was a fantastic album.

I think that the band are on top form and are possibly the most exciting they have ever been in his career.

I of course love Morrissey with all of my heart, I just hope he doesn't become irrelevant.

When I was 15-20, I probably wouldn't have been very excited about his current work either.

And while I love his old songs for several reasons, it's more interesting now to hear what he's saying about this stage in his life.

But it almost seems that he has nothing to talk about anymore? He wasn't a depressed young adult living in his mother's house immersed in the culture of the 1960's when he recorded Vauxhall & I, and that was a fantastic album.

I think that the band are on top form and are possibly the most exciting they have ever been in his career.

I of course love Morrissey with all of my heart, I just hope he doesn't become irrelevant.

:o didn't you like the lyrics on the latest b-sides? I really like them - also, CIP has caused a huge discussion in this forum so... I think he is fine :)

I think people just change as they get older,his needs,wishes,wants,desires,interests have certainly changed.
If he was still singing songs about his lonely youth in manchester I would be a little troubled.

I think he needs to have a child to draw some inspiration from. Or a puppy. :p

i think its not a bad point , his songs are very different from the ones written during the smiths but as a person changes as does the out look they have on life . i never have a huge love for the singles but find more joy in album tracks , for me pigsty was a huge highpoint for ROTT - the tounge in cheek thing is fun but can be overdone, mind you a while back we had alot of character based songs , roys keen , billy budd etc and in some cases i wasnt keen on them (i do like billy budd)

Yeah, people change... If he came out with a song like Miserable Lie now, I'd be a bit concerned for him. He has said repeatedly over the last decade or so that he's much more comfortable with himself now. He writes what he feels, so why would anyone want him to keep writing the same lyrics that were relevant to him 25 years ago?

I like his lyrics more now.....well actually, I like later era moz lyrics more, than say smiths lyrics. But thats becuase I'm 21, with a mind frame of a tired old man approaching 50...:(

Well, it's not what I'm asking for. But some of them just look like uninispired Moz cliches. I do like the lyrics for THPGU though.

Well, I think that every song writer (or artist for that matter) has some cliches, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I think that whether they are uninspired or not is simply a matter of opinion only.

Teenage and early 20s years? "Swimming" in books and cinema.

Adult, post-Smiths, post-label dumps, post-lawsuits, post-public beheadings years? Coronas by the pooliside.

Complementary parts of the same story, neither more essential or important than the other.

No one seems to have noticed that there's been a downturn in quality since he stoped building songs around lines from the books he was reading.Plagairisms the key...

I think as scholarly exercises, Morrissey's lyrics aren't as good as back in the Smiths days (though as has already been mentioned, he isn't stealing wholesale from Elizabeth Smart & Shelagh Delaney anymore) but I think his solo lyrics work better as songs.
Though it has to be said, I prefer the music as a whole from the solo years to the music as a whole from the Smiths years & given the right tune, I don't really care what words he is singing so long as he puts in a good vocal performance.
There are a few exceptions: Dagenham Dave (in my opinion) is a cracking tune but I can't help being pissed off at his throwing away of a chorus.

I think it's strange that this thread has popped up now though.
That's How People Grow Up doesn't set the world alight but it's a decent enough lyric (I can understand that people want more than just adequate but it's not going to happen on every single)
And I think All You Need Is Me is a great lyric, it makes me laugh out loud. Certainly his most amusing lyric since Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now.

I think AYNIM is a great song all round really. Everyone puts in a good performance on it.

Back
Top Bottom