Any more singles form YOR?

Stoned

Oh well...enough said
What do you think, are there more singles coming up from YOR? There must be at least one , would understand otherwise. Still so many singles in there ...Black cloud or it's not your birthday....Please Mozzer
Cheers Moz

Re: Any more singles from YOR?

What do you think, are there more singles coming up from YOR? There must be at least one , would understand otherwise. Still so many singles in there ...Black cloud or it's not your birthday....Please Mozzer
Cheers Moz

Sorry, meant FROM Years of Refusal...
Cheers Moz

Nope.

YOR already released 4 singles (include GH singles):

That's How People Grow UP
All You Need Is Me
I'm Throwing My Arms Arond Paris
Something Is Squeezing My Skull

Morrissey already announced the release of a complilation album Swords in October.

*edit*
You should remember that you can edit your earlier post clicking 'Edit' on the bottom.

Nope.

All You Need Is Me

Morrissey already announced the release of a complilation album Swords in October.

*edit*
You should remember that you can edit your earlier post clicking 'Edit' on the bottom.

But..you can't say this with a degree of authority.
After all, the long-standing argument is that we don't know if THPGU and AYNIM are counted. And MOST of all, we got confirmation from the No Allegiances people on twitter that they had sent new cover artwork for a single to Moz.

Nope.

All You Need Is Me

*edit*

the GH singles don't really count. when YOR came out, there was no label on the album saying 'includes the singles AYNIM and THPGU', and nothing on any of the adverts (radio/billboard etc) either.
although a few Radio 2 listeners might have recognised THPGU, hardly any non-fans would have known about All You Need is Me coz it got next to no airplay. so the fact that the greatest hits songs means 4 have already been released won't stop further singles from coming out.

however, the poor chart performance of Squeezing and the apparent lack of new b-sides are two genuine reasons; a real shame because Carol has the greatest potential for airplay success since FOTG and, if released as a single, whilst not getting tons of airplay (beyond Xfm), Birthday would become a regular staple in the indie clubs across the land ...

Last edited:
a real shame because Carol has the greatest potential for airplay success since FOTG and, if released as a single, whilst not getting tons of airplay (beyond Xfm), Birthday would become a regular staple in the indie clubs across the land ...

I agree.

Carol and Birthday are two of the best singles Moz has never released. There are (at least) four potential b-sides out there we know of. Plus the one called "Livings" (?) that I don't really understand and possibly the Buzzcocks cover.

I think he should try Carol in 3 formats with new b-sides and see what happens...

so ...black cloud plans has disappeared then I guess..

I agree.

Carol and Birthday are two of the best singles Moz has never released. There are (at least) four potential b-sides out there we know of. Plus the one called "Livings" (?) that I don't really understand and possibly the Buzzcocks cover.

I think he should try Carol in 3 formats with new b-sides and see what happens...

"Livings" or "The Longer I Live" was reportedly posted about in Matt Walker's myspace blog as being recorded. That's all we really know. I believe Alain wrote it, if it exists at all.

so ...black cloud plans has disappeared then I guess..

All we know is that No Allegiances sent another batch of cover artwork for a single to the Moz to see if he liked it. It was around this time we were speculating the possibilities of a "Black Cloud" single. I personally think it's a little too late for "Black Cloud" by now. It should've been in the place of one of the previous singles. Truly I feel only Birthday has a shot now :blushing:

it seems as if there will not be another single from YOR, but if there were it should be INYBA- it's the best track on the album and the best track on any album since probably VAI.

I think the reality is the YOR release was a commercial failure. The failure to release b-sides in support of the last single was a clear indication of this. The record company (and apparently Morrissey) have moved on from supporting YOR with the idea of a compilation album thus saving his remaining new material for another day.

I would expect 'Swords' to be the b-sides from 'That's How People Grow Up,' 'All You Need is Me,' 'I'm Throwing My Arms..' and the four remaining unreleased b-sides. That's about ten songs and all released under the flag of his present recording contract. The justification being all these songs were hard to find and could now reach a broader audience. Logical from a U.S. perspective where none of these singles were released and I suspect management knows four new songs is enough to excite the base of Morrissey fans and ilk out the remaining monies from their contract with Morrissey.

Although it would never happen, 18 new unreleased songs from the past 3 albums would be nice.

:D

I'm curious: why would Polydor/Universal pay for the rights to reissue b-sides from Sanctuary releases? Especially given the wide availability of those releases. I think 'Swords' is a reissue of any Polydor/Universal material Morrissey has released or worked on during his tenure with them and maybe, hopefully, something like 'Kit' or 'I'm Playing Easy to Get.'

I openly admit I don't know the inner workings of the music industry but this just seems logical to me.:)

But..you can't say this with a degree of authority.
After all, the long-standing argument is that we don't know if THPGU and AYNIM are counted. And MOST of all, we got confirmation from the No Allegiances people on twitter that they had sent new cover artwork for a single to Moz.

I think that those songs were meant to be an all-encompassing retrospective "Greatest Hits" from 88-09, including Years Of Refusal. "That's How People Grow Up" and "All You Need Is Me" were singles represented from this album, a label jumping-the-gun kinda thing. I'd love another single (and agree with "Carol," if not "Mama" or "OK") but I don't think it'll happen either.

And when I say all-encompassing, I mean a very poorly selected all-encompassing retrospective

I think the reality is the YOR release was a commercial failure. The failure to release b-sides in support of the last single was a clear indication of this. The record company (and apparently Morrissey) have moved on from supporting YOR with the idea of a compilation album thus saving his remaining new material for another day.

I would expect 'Swords' to be the b-sides from 'That's How People Grow Up,' 'All You Need is Me,' 'I'm Throwing My Arms..' and the four remaining unreleased b-sides. That's about ten songs and all released under the flag of his present recording contract. The justification being all these songs were hard to find and could now reach a broader audience. Logical from a U.S. perspective where none of these singles were released and I suspect management knows four new songs is enough to excite the base of Morrissey fans and ilk out the remaining monies from their contract with Morrissey.

the failure to release new b-sides on last single may well be because there aren't any that were properly completed.

I think we know that there will be 18 songs on Swords and these will be taken from b-sides to singles on the last three studio albums - I'm pretty certain that's whaat Morrissey said in his press release a few weeks back...

"Livings" or "The Longer I Live" was reportedly posted about in Matt Walker's myspace blog as being recorded. That's all we really know. I believe Alain wrote it, if it exists at all.

I'm sure it does...and I'm sure..somewhere down the road, we'll get it? be it as throwaway b sides, or on another YATQ type 2 disc for YOR or Swords? or, possibly a different B sides disc all together? wouldn't surprise me in the least bit.

the failure to release new b-sides on last single may well be because there aren't any that were properly completed.

I think we know that there will be 18 songs on Swords and these will be taken from b-sides to singles on the last three studio albums - I'm pretty certain that's whaat Morrissey said in his press release a few weeks back...

I've always disagreed with that point of view. My rationale was that the album was delayed and Morrissey himself (in the Filter interview) said the YOR recording sessions were completed before Jerry Finn's death. Also, the album was originally a September release and delayed to February.

You're right about the 18 songs. Sorry, I didn't read the press release. It seems we already know the tracklisting: "I am excited about the October release of Swords, which is an 18-track compilation of b-sides of singles from the last three albums. This will be a Polydor release." It would seem to be 6 from YATQ, 6 from ROTT, and 6 from YOR and GH. What a ridiculous release! The b-sides from YATQ and ROTT were widely available. Why not release something to reeally excite the fan base? 'Kit?' 'I'm Playing Easy to Get?" It's the same reissue, repackage. This is just getting sad.

Back
Top Bottom