5 brand new songs by Prince!

!!!!!

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
Apache/1.3.41 Server at turimusic.com Port 80

Damn you, Internet! :mad: :(

Pretty bland stuff if you ask me. I'll gladly take the original Crimson and Clover over Prince's version.

Trust me, you're not missing much.

I love Colonized Mind. It's one of this best songs since The Rainbow Children LP.

You are not the only one that is very disapointed with Prince. It's sometimes like an old marriage that one endures because of the kids...

But Prince has been 50/50 in terms of material since he released Emancipation. After that album, only The Rainbow Children holds as solid album (Crystal Ball is also great, but it's an outtake compilation). And the Funk homage vibe he has been on is getting tired.

Last edited:
Sorry, I think all of those new songs are bland and throwaway. Colonized Mind sounds small minded to me. No thanks. Prince's best days are long past. Isn't he a religious nut case now?

I think Prince's creative mindset has changed.

I see Sign O' The Times, Parade, Around The World In A Day as albums that have a coherent undertone, and statements in themselves as complete works.

However, his last three albums have had stand out songs on that are as good as anything Prince has ever done in his career - I think that his ability to write a brilliant song will never die, but his ability to attach himself to a singular statement with each album he releases has gone. I think he has absorbed music as a diverse art-form to the point that every album has completely diverse music styles on - which may show his ability to be versatile, but leaves the albums without a resonance.

thanks 4 the links Mikematronik, its much appreciated! I've been searching for these new jams 4 a lil bit and here they all are...thanks a million! ;):horny::eek:

I think Prince's creative mindset has changed.

I see Sign O' The Times, Parade, Around The World In A Day as albums that have a coherent undertone, and statements in themselves as complete works.

However, his last three albums have had stand out songs on that are as good as anything Prince has ever done in his career - I think that his ability to write a brilliant song will never die, but his ability to attach himself to a singular statement with each album he releases has gone. I think he has absorbed music as a diverse art-form to the point that every album has completely diverse music styles on - which may show his ability to be versatile, but leaves the albums without a resonance.

Good post, I tend to agree. Though to be fair, I've heard bits of his latest stuff and didn't hear anything that struck me as something worth keeping. But I might have skipped over a stellar track or two.

The Gold Experience was the last album of his that I thought was a good record.

Thanks for the links, mikematronik. And I agree, The Rainbow Children was the last great album he's put out (as of now), though some of the newer stuff has had its moments. 3121 was pretty darn good.

The problem is that Prince since the end of The Gold Experience has been a bit stale...without the same creative energy. I do not mean in terms of output, because he releases records like bunnies reproducing, but the quality is very...subpar. He lost his ability to edit the stuff to put on the albums. Since he ditched the classical lineup of the NPG (Tommy Barbarella, Sonny T, Michael B)...and put Kirky J. doing drums and co-production...horrid.

The Rainbow Children (and the One Nite Alone... album, the jazz albums) were a kind of Rebirth...but unfortunatly it lasted only 2 years. The One Nite Alone Tour, together with that era's NPG lineup was excellent (John Blackwell is one hell of a drummer...)

Taking bk3000's opinion about The Gold Experience album, that era was brilliant. Most people don't know the several lineup's the album had, and the fact that songs changed between the Come and The Gold Experience albums during few months.

There's a great bootleg called "The Dawn". It's a triple cd compilation of all the Gold Era track. If it had been released instead of the snorefest that is Emancipation, it would be a classic. It's something like this:

Disc 1

1. WELCOME 2 THE DAWN 2. NPG OPERATOR 3. COME (PART 1) 4. ENDORPHINMACHINE 5. SPACE 6. DAYS OF WILD 7. NPG OPERATOR 8. THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GIRL IN THE WORLD 9. POPE 10. RIPOPGODAZIPPA 11. NPG OPERATOR 12. RACE 13. EMPTY ROOM 14. NPG OPERATOR 15. MAD 16. ROCK N' ROLL IS ALIVE (AND IT LIVES IN MINNEAPOLIS) 17. SHHH 18. STRAYS OF THE WORLD

Disc 2

1. PUSSY CONTROL 2. NPG OPERATOR 3. PEACH 4. CHAOS & DISORDER 5. SHY 6. NPG OPERATOR 7. PHEROMONE 8. 319 9. HIDE THE BONE 10. 18 & OVER 11. NPG OPERATOR 12. (LEMME SEE THAT BODY) GET LOOSE 13. PAPA 14. NPG OPERATOR 15. BILLY JACK BITCH 16. I HATE U 17. LETITGO 18. DON'T TALK 2 STRANGERS

Disc 3

1. INTERACTIVE 2. ACKNOWLEDGE ME 3. NPG OPERATOR 4. SOMEBODY'S SOMEBODY 5. LOVE SIGN 6. WHAT'S MY NAME? 7. THE RIDE 8. NPG OPERATOR 9. NOW 10. FACE DOWN 11. NPG OPERATOR 12. 2MORROW 13. THE SAME DECEMBER 14. EXTRAORDINARY 15. DOLPHIN 16. COME (PART 2) 17. NPG OPERATOR 18. GOLD

I need to hunt down that bootleg... my collection of Prince's 90's albums is spotty in places, but I love most of the songs I recognize by name from that tracklist.

Despite the fact that Prince very much still does just what Prince wants to do, it does seem like he's gotten a bit too comfortable being worshiped as a musical deity. It shows in the more recent songs. There's no hunger- but then again why should there be? Every album he released from this point until his retirement could be him on auto-pilot and he'd probably still rake in cash by the sackful from touring. Hopefully he shakes it off and reaches farther at some point soon.

Back
Top Bottom