Your 10 least favourite Morrissey tracks

I honestly believe he hadn’t released anything truly bad or awful before the WPINOYB album. There are songs prior to that album that I don’t care for very much, but none that I truly feel is irredeemable or shit. The “clunkers” prior to 2014 are almost fantastic by comparison.
World Peace is way better than Years of Refusal for me - which I have always thought was the nadir of Moz's recording career. World Peace was the start of his finding his way again, via Low in High School, and culminating with Dog. And it does look like Bonfire is maybe better than Dog as an album. Without Music we haven't heard enough of yet.

World Peace is way better than Years of Refusal for me - which I have always thought was the nadir of Moz's recording career. World Peace was the start of his finding his way again, via Low in High School, and culminating with Dog. And it does look like Bonfire is maybe better than Dog as an album. Without Music we haven't heard enough of yet.
I could NOT agree less!

I would imagine one of the things that drew Moz to Joe Chiccarelli was the fact that he produced Young the Giant's eponymous debut album in 2010? Many will remember that at the time Moz raved about this and them as 'the next big thing'. This never came to pass, of course, although they are still making albums. Their debut album was rather good. And not full of the gimmickry we have come to know and love/hate from JC. I think we would all agree that Moz sounds at his best when the producer let's Moz and the music 'speak' for themselves, minus adding layers of synths and electronic bleeps?
Interesting too that this was probably the last time Moz publicly 'endorsed' a current band? I don't think he has ever done so since? Although he has been seen in the audience at shows, of course.

The wonderful thing about music is that it is totally subjective. Without hyperbole, I despise Low in High School...I consider it one of the very worst albums ever recorded in the history of music...but I love everything since, both released and unreleased. I also think that a good half of YaretheQ is tedious dirge...it didn't stop me traipsing the country watching him perform songs I thought/think we're tosh. It's Moz. There's good and there's bad. The fact is, even the half-decent songs are 1000 times better than anything else. I'll go to bed now.

The wonderful thing about music is that it is totally subjective. Without hyperbole, I despise Low in High School...I consider it one of the very worst albums ever recorded in the history of music...but I love everything since, both released and unreleased. I also think that a good half of YaretheQ is tedious dirge...it didn't stop me traipsing the country watching him perform songs I thought/think we're tosh. It's Moz. There's good and there's bad. The fact is, even the half-decent songs are 1000 times better than anything else. I'll go to bed now.
I didn’t think anyone disliked LIHS more than me, but alas… 🤝

The Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye
The Girl From Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel
He Cried
The Operation
Journalists Who Lie
The Public Image
This Is Not Your Country
Tony The Pony
Smiler With Knife
Kick The Bride Down The Aisle

Thank you for that. You have to love Moz to answer this question so honestly.
I'm also not a fan of Low in High School. But I think some of it was an improvement on the total nadir and car crash that was Refusal. God, I really don't like that album. Some of Low was ok, although several songs on it are terrible. Israel, though, was the redeeming song on Low for me. A sign of the return to form that came later with Dog. World Peace is the interesting album in between Refusal and Low. It is way better than Refusal, and I also think way better than Low in High School, but some duds on it too.

The other theme that comes up in many of the lists above, as well as the production of Joe Chiccarelli, is songwriting and musical composition. Although some mention b-sides and unreleased tracks from Our Frank onwards, many of the songs listed are from the era of Jesse Tobias and then Gustavo Manzur. Was there a drop in quality from that point? Alain, although he wrote several songs on Refusal, including the stand out track, Something is Squeezing, wasn't involved in any of the sessions. There is a noticeable change in the 'sound' and 'feel' of Morrissey's work from around this point. It's noticeable on Refusal and World Peace, and it's very noticeable on Low in High School. Maybe less noticeable on Dog? I don't think we have ever had full confirmation of the co-writers on Bonfire have we? It does sound as good as if not better than Dog though. And the exciting thing about Without Music is that we have had full confirmation of the co-writers on that album, and we know that Alain co-wrote some of them. The question, of course, is when will we ever get to hear either of these albums?

I think we would all agree that Moz sounds at his best when the producer let's Moz and the music 'speak' for themselves, minus adding layers of synths and electronic bleeps?
Personally I think Joe C has worked some minor miracles on numerous Morrissey songs during his tenure as producer. The problem isn't JC - it's the fact that a large chunk of recent songs haven't been very good. You can hear the producer desperately throwing everything at the material to try and add some sonic texture and interest, but ultimately a highly polished turd remains exactly that: a turd. No amount of production genius is going to turn material like 'Who Will Protect Us From the Police' into a good song - unless perhaps it's a producer with the nerve to say to Morrissey: "Listen, boss. This song just isn't cutting it. Take it away and come up with some better lyrics and vocal melodies, or bin it."

He probably thinks that opening up his sound and turning to electronic and world music influences did him good. That's why he defiantly and pathetically considered every new record from 2014 onwards to be his probable legacy. But the fact is that both, The Smiths and the best Morrissey solo years, offered classic, nostalgic guitar pop. Morrissey is no Bowie. Not a chameleon, who can shed his skin. Because he doesn't play an instrument to make a decisive impact. In addition, there is an unpleasant development in the lyrics. Repetition as a stylistic device and unfortunately also an alienation in terms of content from large parts of his core audience. I wouldn't have expected his stubbornness to be as extreme as it has now turned out to be. He had realised that the reviews and sales with JC were anything but satisfactory. Nothing fundamental will change. If it really was excessive alcohol consumption, he really should be allowed to go to rehab.

He probably thinks that opening up his sound and turning to electronic and world music influences did him good. That's why he defiantly and pathetically considered every new record from 2014 onwards to be his probable legacy. But the fact is that both, The Smiths and the best Morrissey solo years, offered classic, nostalgic guitar pop. Morrissey is no Bowie. Not a chameleon, who can shed his skin. Because he doesn't play an instrument to make a decisive impact. In addition, there is an unpleasant development in the lyrics. Repetition as a stylistic device and unfortunately also an alienation in terms of content from large parts of his core audience. I wouldn't have expected his stubbornness to be as extreme as it has now turned out to be. He had realised that the reviews and sales with JC were anything but satisfactory. Nothing fundamental will change. If it really was excessive alcohol consumption, he really should be allowed to go to rehab.
The 'unpleasant development in the lyrics' is also an interesting theme. There is a hint of nastiness in Low in High School that was remarked upon by many. The thing I loved about Dog is that it felt like the old Morrissey was back - singing about love and redemption. Did it take California Son for him to find that again?

I agree. He is not someone who can switch styles like New Order or Roxy Music, he is a bit limited in that way and he does not play instruments like Bernard or Bryan do. I think maybe his themes had a shelf life, that sort of teenage/young adult angst played well when he was younger but is not something you can sing about for your entire career. I thought he got a bit more grown up when he went solo, but refusing to tour on Viva Hate was just stupidity. He should have known then, as all people in their 30s or approaching their 30s realize that someday you will be past your peak, either professionally or personally or both and you have to make the most of it when you can. I think the Smiths ended when they should have, went out on a very high note and ended up being a good launching pad for M's solo career, but he does not have that kind of creative output now and hasn't for a while, at least in my opinion and maybe it's just time for him to stop being the diva and accept reality or retire. Or he can be the legacy act he seems to loathe, and play what people actually want to hear, it works for his contemporaries.

The 'unpleasant development in the lyrics' is also an interesting theme. There is a hint of nastiness in Low in High School that was remarked upon by many. The thing I loved about Dog is that it felt like the old Morrissey was back - singing about love and redemption. Did it take California Son for him to find that again?
I agree, that IANADOAC is the best of the three original JC albums, though still not so good, that I can say for myself: Yes it is! Quarry was his LA album, ROTT was Rome, Refusal was living the outsider thing but from then on it got erratic. I don't need a romantic description of Instanbul holidays
by an americanised, well-fed irish Brit. I don't want to hear about hot love in "Your Mommys backyard" from a late fifties man on the prowl. I don't want a stiff-chested bossa or a lightweight nova, from an aged indie god, or admissions to Israel and Tel Aviv, which he once again romanticises and transfigures. But I fear, that this is the legitimate work for his old age.

Last edited:
I agree. He is not someone who can switch styles like New Order or Roxy Music, he is a bit limited in that way and he does not play instruments like Bernard or Bryan do. I think maybe his themes had a shelf life, that sort of teenage/young adult angst played well when he was younger but is not something you can sing about for your entire career. I thought he got a bit more grown up when he went solo, but refusing to tour on Viva Hate was just stupidity. He should have known then, as all people in their 30s or approaching their 30s realize that someday you will be past your peak, either professionally or personally or both and you have to make the most of it when you can. I think the Smiths ended when they should have, went out on a very high note and ended up being a good launching pad for M's solo career, but he does not have that kind of creative output now and hasn't for a while, at least in my opinion and maybe it's just time for him to stop being the diva and accept reality or retire. Or he can be the legacy act he seems to loathe, and play what people actually want to hear, it works for his contemporaries.
Again: Couldn't agree more. But reality (without help) was never an option. He has his very own and sees a big conspiracy (remember the 4 people - or so - in the UK who were planning his downfall) against him and that's the MAIN reason, why he is not pinned on everybody's bedroom door or wall anymore.

Again: Couldn't agree more. But reality (without help) was never an option. He has his very own and sees a big conspiracy (remember the 4 people - or so - in the UK who were planning his downfall) against him and that's the MAIN reason, why he is not pinned on everybody's bedroom door or wall anymore.
True, he won't accept where he is at in life, and he won't accept how he got there, and he won't accept that he is his own worst enemy.
That email/letter about Miley Cyrus was so telling. You can see how he won't take no for an answer, and even when he says he will, he lies. He totally screwed her over, he outed their secret deal and that caused the entire BOT mess and that was just one inside peek to how he works. It was going to benefit him to mention her, or so he thought, and it blew up in his face.

True, he won't accept where he is at in life, and he won't accept how he got there, and he won't accept that he is his own worst enemy.
That email/letter about Miley Cyrus was so telling. You can see how he won't take no for an answer, and even when he says he will, he lies. He totally screwed her over, he outed their secret deal and that caused the entire BOT mess and that was just one inside peek to how he works. It was going to benefit him to mention her, or so he thought, and it blew up in his face.
Never in my life would I have thought, in the 90s and 00s, that things would develop so negatively. Even after the good Swords tour and the concerts before WPINOYB, it was a joy and exciting experience to see the man in full halls or at open-air concerts. With WPINOYB it was more difficult to endure 9 tracks of the new record. You could really feel it in the audience. Friends with more distance to the artist now told me "It was clear that everything would turn out like this". Not for me. That's why I have such a problem with his public image. But I don't understand, how you can unconditionally defend him. A case of failing to provide assistance. In the collective memory of pop music listeners with reach, he ends up at Quarry at the latest.

Last edited:
Our frank
Asian rut
My love life
You're the one for me, Fatty
Whatever happens I love you
Have a go merchant
Ambitious outsiders
The youngest was the most loved
I just want to see the boy happy
All the young people must fall in love
Who will protect us from the police
Love is on its way out

Sorry, they are 12

Margareth
The world is full of crashing
How can anybody possibily
I Will see you in far off places
To me you are a work of art
Kiss me a lot (need more lyrics)
All the young people
In your lap
My love Id do anything for you
Shame is the name

I can't speak for every B-side, demo and outtake, but...

Ambitious Outsiders
Angel, Angel Down We Go Together
Asian Rut
The Girl from Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel
I Bury the Living
In Your Lap
Israel
I've Changed My Plea to Guilty
The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils
The Truth About Ruth

Back
Top Bottom