WTF happenned to U2?

Rattle and Hum was horrible and I would never be a fan again. I listened to them a lot before that. "three chords and the truth" was the end for me.

The records I liked were wide awake, unforgettable fire, and joshua tree. War was great at the time but I doubt I've listened to it in 20 years.

bono sucks now, what more can be said :o
come to think of it, the last u2 album i got was
Achtung_Baby.png

and that was a present on my b-day like 15 or more years ago :eek:

I'm watching this DVD I ordered called "Live At Red Rocks". Now the cover Says the band is U2, but here is a band playing with such passion and emotion, I can't believe it's the same band that you see all over the net and gracing the playlists of every (Rock, Alternative, and Pop) station in the country. I mean songs like Out Of Control, The Electric Co, A Day Without Me....miles better than crap like Beautiful Day, Vertigo, and Elevation?

All Kidding aside, Seriously What The f*** Happened to the band with such intergrity that we thought they'd never sell out???

I don't think a lack of integrity is their problem, it's more a matter of decline in songwriting quality. Sad, but it seems to happen to nearly all rock/pop musicians with age and time, with few exceptions.

Like most people here, early U2 was a revelation to me: October is one of my all-time favourite albums, and I still listen to War. I loved their music up to and excluding Joshua Tree (though it had its moments). Rattle & Hum again had moments of brilliance, but the movie showcased their excrutiating pomposity. They won me back with the gorgeous Achtung Baby, but sadly it's since been a long decline.

U2 still play with great passion, and their concerts can be very moving experiences. Have you seen the 2001 Boston show from the Elevation tour - if you don't get tears in your eyes during "I Will Follow," you're a stronger human than moi: http://www.amazon.com/U2-Elevation-...r_1_40?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1226356174&sr=1-40

One mo' thing: Bono was *always* aware of himself! Check out some early performances on YouTube, you'll laugh and cringe - the boy was and is so over the top. I guess it's his gift as well as his curse. See what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu6vWgx0Ibw

Young Bono and his infamous white silk trousers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe6VtCRTvsU&feature=related

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
bono sucks now, what more can be said :o
come to think of it, the last u2 album i got was
Achtung_Baby.png

and that was a present on my b-day like 15 or more years ago :eek:

that's okay. I got Def Leppard Hyseria for Christmas once.

After the Joshua Tree,Bono joined his buddy Bob on the committee of 300 and compromised his sole to the New World Order.He is now a programmed rat.

Last edited:
psb = better than u2 :)

If you're not interested in actual music, sure. :guitar: But I'd rather listen to Yes than the Sex Pistols, i.e. I don't give a fig for image - I want people who can actually write and play music well.

P.S. Morrissey likes U2.

If you're not interested in actual music, sure. :guitar: But I'd rather listen to Yes than the Sex Pistols, i.e. I don't give a fig for image - I want people who can actually write and play music well.

P.S. Morrissey likes U2.

I like your post because it pretty much confirms that what Neil Tennant said is true, that there is a connection between the Sex Pistols and the Pet Shop Boys, whereas people that like Yes are more likely to enjoy U2. Of course U2 came from punk too, but in my opinion punk died with the Sex Pistols and nearly everything since has been fashion and roleplay.

I thought people might have a hard time seeing what he was saying but your comment confirmed it.

Yes had a few songs that I liked but nothing I ever felt any connection to. "Actual music" consists of rhythm, melody, and harmony. You're actually talking about your personal taste which seems to involve the artist having talent, something that has nothing to do with the validity of the art. I distinguish between a person being gifted or at least passionate as opposed to talented. Talented people make the worst music in the world in my opinion.

I was listening to a U2 bootleg from The October Tour, Slane Castle I think. Bono goes on a tirade about reporters lying and turning it into the Truth. I think he's always had a big mouth.

does anyone here not like the petshop boys? u2 will always be my favorite band, i love bono's ego.

meaneyes.jpg
1.jpg

I drastically prefer they're earlier stuff (War, Joshua Tree, etc.)...but I really liked Pop, as well. Maybe if only because one day in high school I took a shitload of acid and listened to it over and over.

I drastically prefer they're earlier stuff (War, Joshua Tree, etc.)...but I really liked Pop, as well. Maybe if only because one day in high school I took a shitload of acid and listened to it over and over.

Personally, I think U2 Bottomed out with Pop by trying to be The Pet Shop Boys, and have been trying to crawl out of the hole ever since.

Personally, I think U2 Bottomed out with Pop by trying to be The Pet Shop Boys, and have been trying to crawl out of the hole ever since.

Yes, they were ridiculed by the Pet Shop Boys for so long that it got to them and they thought, "we'll buy a drum machine and a synthesizer and make the pet shop boys very very sorry", but it didn't really work out. :D

rattle and hum was the end but if anyone had any hope that thing they did for tomb raider should have finished it.

What's always amazed me as a U2 fan is that people who don't like them or their music are dying to find and objective point and convince the whole world they should hate U2.

So you like Pet Shop Boys and not U2. Fine.

You think Neil Tennant is more relevant in what he says than Bono ? Again : fine.

That just don't make it true.

That reminds me of this old joke :

Remember U2 ? They could have been as big as Echo & the Bunnymen ! :guitar:

And who covered who between U2 and the PSB ??? mmmhhh...I guess it was irony, then...not really a commercial stunt ?

Yes had a few songs that I liked but nothing I ever felt any connection to. "Actual music" consists of rhythm, melody, and harmony. You're actually talking about your personal taste which seems to involve the artist having talent, something that has nothing to do with the validity of the art. I distinguish between a person being gifted or at least passionate as opposed to talented. Talented people make the worst music in the world in my opinion.

Jon Anderson, Yes lead singer and usual co-writer, is a very passionate man. His spirituality is what lifts Yes music above and beyond most of the tiresome prog twaddle that they're always classified with. [Note: I'm not talking about Yes music in the 80's, which was very much dominated by guitarist Trevor Rabin and producer Trevor Horn]. Just listen to "Awaken" or "Wondrous Stories" - it's light years away from the meaningless wankery of King Crimson or ELP.

It's not about - or shouldn't be about - someone playing an indulgent 20-minute solo. Johnny Marr is an incredibly talented guitarist, but I hope you don't hold that against him!

Tags
new world order pet shop boys
Back
Top Bottom