Would you introduce The Smiths to someone you know that may be depressed?

emmanuela_7

I've got a friend who has stopped coming to school and as far as I know spents most of her time in her house alone.
She's only 14 so clearly there is something wrong if she is refusing to come to school. I'm thinking of burning a cd for her with The Smiths songs.
She's more into metal and hard rock but she may relate to Morrissey's lyrics.
Do you think it's a good idea?

I've got a friend who has stopped coming to school and as far as I know spents most of her time in her house alone.
She's only 14 so clearly there is something wrong if she is refusing to come to school. I'm thinking of burning a cd for her with The Smiths songs.
She's more into metal and hard rock but she may relate to Morrissey's lyrics.
Do you think it's a good idea?

Burn her a CD of the recent Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy leaks if she's into metal and hard-rock.

I also feel the need to stress that people will not automatically fall in love with Morrissey just because they are a bit depressed. This just perpetuates the myth that The Smiths and Morrissey's music is for the desperately lonely, unhappy people of the world. I'm a happy, well-adjusted human being and I listen to Morrissey every day.

If you make her listen to funny lyrics from Mozzie, yeah. You should avoid Asleep, and Life is a pigsty, I think...:rolleyes:
You could maybe talk to her about a lonely soul, a sad young boy, who feels a lot better now...:)

I can't speak for someone else, but it has always helped me when I feel depressed.

Don't listen to Alseep while depressed. Thats my advice anyway.

A million times, yes I would :)
The depressing songs may make you feel worse, but also it can make you feel less alone with your feelings, which can be very important.
Also, if your friend sees that he is going strong, like moz'art girl said, that can only be good. Give her some hope, hopefully :)
And the wit, the humour and the music will be good for a smile :)

The f***... That's weird. I never really thought if it that way. Back in my lethargic days The Smiths was the best medicine. Nothing would help me move on more than I Know It's Over and the rest of The Queen is Dead. I literally owe my life to Morrissey and The Smiths.

I think the Smiths and Morrissey should be introduced to anybody, depressed or happy. :D

Joy Division is much better for depression. The Smiths will snap you right out of it.

Your friend would love Agent Orange, "Living in Darkness".

I was in a similar position at 14. The Smiths found me quite by accident and they have pulled me back from the brink on a number of occasions. But everyone is different. Why not make her a CD of songs by a variety of artists? That way she knows you care. Just let her know you are there for her :)

I got into The Smiths at around the same age, while behaving in a similar way, and it definitely helped. Go for one of the Best compilations, though - probably best not to chuck her in too much at the deep end!

Back
Top Bottom