Who, in 2014, has the best musical songwriting skills? Johnny Marr or the Morrissey song composers?

Who (in 2013/14) would you say has the best musical songwriting skills??

• Total voters
Re: Who, in 2014, has the best musical songwriting skills? Johnny Marr or the Morrissey song compose

Open the poll up, these 40 people need named & shamed

Re: Who, in 2014, has the best musical songwriting skills? Johnny Marr or the Morrissey song compose

"Sophisticated", "confident" and "awesome". So nothing specific, then? Great.

The music on this record could hardly be more "conventional". It isn't exactly Stockhausen.

(Also, if you want to affect lofty disdain convincingly, you need to find out more about semi-colons to avoid their misuse.)

Do you wear corduroys; by any chance?
If you want evidence of conventional/unconventional; compare any song off World Peace with any off the Marr album. Good riffs on some of the latter, but so so so; so; so conventional! As are the vocals and the videos. It's just a boring conventional sludge, isn't it? Are you fan of his album???
It's funny how the musos take against genuine genius which wears its brilliance lightly, I must say.
World Peace will go over the musos' heads precisely because they want 'clever' lyrics from Moz and they want stuffy conventional song structures and interplay.
This is not moth-balled music but a cycle of songs which are alive and - in the words of another poster here - full of zing.
They don't do zing in Record Collector magazine.

Anyway, hope that helps!
Let me know if you need any more, my love...

Do you wear corduroys; by any chance?
If you want evidence of conventional/unconventional; compare any song off World Peace with any off the Marr album. Good riffs on some of the latter, but so so so; so; so conventional! As are the vocals and the videos. It's just a boring conventional sludge, isn't it? Are you fan of his album???
It's funny how the musos take against genuine genius which wears its brilliance lightly, I must say.
World Peace will go over the musos' heads precisely because they want 'clever' lyrics from Moz and they want stuffy conventional song structures and interplay.
This is not moth-balled music but a cycle of songs which are alive and - in the words of another poster here - full of zing.
They don't do zing in Record Collector magazine.

Anyway, hope that helps!
Let me know if you need any more, my love...

Well, an answer to my question would be just great.

Well, an answer to my question would be just great.

I hadn't realised you'd asked a question; could you restate it, plix?

I wonder what the "Five Star Club" would say if the songs were stripped down to just his voice and two-three minutes of beating an acoustic guitar. I'm afraid some of these songs would seem quite thin. I've begun to have second thoughts about the efficacy of some of the production; I'm ready to step away from the album for a while.

But you could say exactly the same about Vauxhall and I. Imagine Spring Heeled Jim with just voice and acoustic guitar. There's virtually nothing of interest there.
The same goes for Lazy Sunbathers, Hated for Loving, Lifeguard. These songs would just be plain and dreary if stripped to their simplest arrangements.
It's only really the Smiths and the Stephen Street songs that have got great basic chord sequences.

The same goes for Lazy Sunbathers, Hated for Loving, Lifeguard. These songs would just be plain and dreary if stripped to their simplest arrangements.
Are you insane? 'I Am Hated For Loving' is built around one of the greatest guitar riffs of Morrissey's solo career - it's up there with anything Marr ever wrote. Even played on an acoustic guitar I could listen to that riff for several hours without getting bored.

I hadn't realised you'd asked a question; could you restate it, plix?

Go back to the last post on the previous page, look for the question mark and work from there.

No but yours does

Ah the mother joke suggesting he has sex with someone's mother. Now we know who we are dealing with. Genius.

Go back to the last post on the previous page, look for the question mark and work from there.

I'd prefer it if you could restate it, my love. I can't be arsed re-reading all that guff. No offense!
What is it 'specifically' that you're having trouble with on the album?
I'll try to help if I can...

Are you insane? 'I Am Hated For Loving' is built around one of the greatest guitar riffs of Morrissey's solo career - it's up there with anything Marr ever wrote. Even played on an acoustic guitar I could listen to that riff for several hours without getting bored.

Agreed, but coming up with a great riff isn't the same as writing a great song. And you can write a great song without necessarily having a great riff - the key is in the structure, the arrangement.
That's where World Peace... comes into its own.

Back
Top Bottom