When did M’s career go tits up?

Hey look, I am not trying to suggest here that Morrissey hasn’t said some truly stupid things and continues to do so. He has and does.

But. The Chinese are a sub-species headline.

There is the context to that comment that never gets mentioned, it is very important context. The treatment of animals in China, stuff done openly on the high street, it is truly sickening. Morrissey would say the same thing if it was happening in his home town, he didn‘t attack the Chinese for being Chinese, he spoke up because he thinks it is barbaric to see cats and dogs skinned alive, birds skewered when alive and then fried for people to openly munch on like a toffee apple.
This sounds like an imperialist. Do you seriously think there are no animal rights activists in China? What he did was making hate statement toward Chinese people not rescue activities for animals. What does he do apart from blaming? Look at French food, they eat all sorts of things but no one cares. Honestly if what he said doesn't sound disgusting to you, you should admit you are racist inside.

This sounds like an imperialist. Do you seriously think there are no animal rights activists in China? What he did was making hate statement toward Chinese people not rescue activities for animals. What does he do apart from blaming? Look at French food, they eat all sorts of things but no one cares. Honestly if what he said doesn't sound disgusting to you, you should admit you are racist inside.
This is why I always advise those who pay me extortionate amounts of money per month for strategic counsel to always run their public comments by me, a lawyer and a powerhouse duo of communications strategists before going on the record.

I see quite a lot of people on this website. and elsewhere in M's orbit who go on at length about what is and what is not cancel culture, and so far every person has missed the mark with their inputs.

Let me be succinct here:

Cancel culture doesn’t mean that your audience abandons you, it means that a phalanx of liberal institutions such as major TV networks, radio, print& digital media outlets will take the most hostile action to to sever an artist from their intact audience

To be clear, Morrissey's ART will ALWAYS entice adoring audiences, and he'll continue to sell albums and tickets to his performances until he retires.

I don't like it when he says clumsy things like this either but at the same time I also enjoy that he is a provocateur. The sub-species statement was said in relation to the Chinese wet markets. At the time these markets were not well known. (since then have been condemned across the world, not only because they are cruel but also because they present a danger to world health - As usual Morrissey was ahead of the game on this one) PETA produced a film at the time showing (amongst other deadful things) dogs being skinned alive whilst hung on hooks in a public town square in China. Truly horrific viewing. The dogs remain alive in unimaginable anguish for some time having been skinned. The sub-species comment must be understood in this context. When you watch that PETA film (and I'd advise you don't) you cant help but think - Why is this allowed? How can these people see such profound suffering up close and casually walk past holding their child's hand with apparent indifference? Isn't the natural HUMAN reaction to such cruelty to do something to end the harrowing torment? How can these people have such different basic values? Why is such cruelty accepted and normalized and sometimes even celebrated there? Do these people not feel things like pity, empathy, compassion, love and HUMANITY in the same way we do? Are they not like us at all? You might think that is culturally insensitive. That we are not in a position to judge anyone on anything and that bad stuff happens elsewhere too. Maybe you think we should accept that different cultures have different values and each to their own. The point is Morrissey doesn't see it that way and he never has. He sees a clear distinction between right and wrong when it comes to animal rights. For him skinning dogs alive is in-humane - ie lacking in the values we associate with humanity - for him it suggests a complete absence of kindness, compassion and empathy - and as such its hard for him not to consider those people in the video as less than human. If you think that is racist then you should probably watch the film.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom