What'sthe story with the people of Morrisseytour.com

R

Rutherford

Since the obvious question hasn't been addressed,I'll ask:

What's the story on the people from Morrisseytour.com? Are they Trust Fund babies? Lotto Winners? Kids who worked hard all year, saved their minimum-wage checks and now taking a three-month, multi-country field trip with expensive laptops and digital cameras to document it all? A group of MTV-pilot guinnea pigs?

This all seems highly upper-class to me -- not that there's anything wrong with upper-class, it's just that you rarely hear of an upper-class Morrissey fan. I know of no working-class Morrissey fan that could fund a trip like this. I'm not trying to be a smartass about this, I just want to know how THEY'RE doing it so I can take a few months off of work when he tours the states, too.

Sincerly (no, really),
Rutherford

I must admit I was wondering the same thing. One just doesn't naturally have THAT much money to spend on something even as meaningful as following Moz. I'm sure part of me (a large part) is jealous and quite envious but in some corners of the world this would be considered stalking (in a big way). Can anyone say "restraining order"? Obviously Moz is fine with it as he allows pictures to be taken with them so who am I to say it's freakish? I agree it would be nice to have say, a 10 minute chat with him but I think I'd feel a bit uncomfortable being seen by him or his associates at the hotel or wherever everytime they walked to through the lobby. Maybe I'm just too self aware? Anyway, I mean no ill will towards the "girls". As I said, it's great (for them) that they are able to do what they are doing. I still cannot comprehend being able to do it, though...... regardless of whether I was rich, won the lottery or saved up for the last 10 years.

If it weren't for these wealthy stalkers I wouldn't be able to follow the tour! It's a fun site, even if it is SICK. "We found out where his hotel is and we tracked him down and forced him to talk to us ..."

P.S. Is it possible to get too much of Morrissey? I mean, how many concerts is ENOUGH? A couple dozen is a lot.

> I must admit I was wondering the same thing. One just doesn't
> naturally have THAT much money to spend on something even as
> meaningful as following Moz. I'm sure part of me (a large part)
> is jealous and quite envious but in some corners of the world
> this would be considered stalking (in a big way). Can anyone say
> "restraining order"? Obviously Moz is fine with it as
> he allows pictures to be taken with them so who am I to say it's
> freakish? I agree it would be nice to have say, a 10 minute chat
> with him but I think I'd feel a bit uncomfortable being seen by
> him or his associates at the hotel or wherever everytime they
> walked to through the lobby. Maybe I'm just too self aware?
> Anyway, I mean no ill will towards the "girls". As I
> said, it's great (for them) that they are able to do what they
> are doing. I still cannot comprehend being able to do it,
> though...... regardless of whether I was rich, won the lottery
> or saved up for the last 10 years.

Re: What'sthe story, Butterglory?

> I must admit I was wondering the same thing. One just doesn't
> naturally have THAT much money to spend on something even as
> meaningful as following Moz. I'm sure part of me (a large part)
> is jealous and quite envious

There, you've just admitted it...

None of the girls I know are trustfund brats. They are for the most part self-supporting and middleclass at best. Since they are youngish, their actual earnings are below solid bourgeois standards.

On an exploited graduate slave instructor's stipend of $13,000 per annum (officially below poverty level income for a head of housefold) I went to 13 Morrissey shows on the Maladjusted tour alone. I also flew from California to England to catch the last few shows and then stayed in the UK for another month. All it takes is strong desire to see Morrissey, good planning, thrift, travel smarts, and self denial. And having friends all around the world helps, too. Some people just have no imagination. All I have to say is that if you want something dearly enough, you can become amazingly resourceful.

Extra! Extra! "Responsibility = No Imagination," says M.

None of the questions were addressed . . .

Most of us pay bills and no longer live at home. I could earn 13k per year as well, but I have student loans, rent and credit card bills that still must be paid (crediters have yet to accept my excuse that Morrissey is touring and the bills have to wait.) No matter how many "friends around the world" you have, there still has to be a bit of conventionally unearned income coming in if you're not even earning $1000.00 per month (or are you one of the few lucky ones who doesn't eat.)

You also say that "for the most part" the girl that runs Morrisseytour.com is self supporting. What does "for the most part" mean and what are your sources?

Finally, just because people have responsibilities doesn't mean they have no imagination -- even you should be embarrassed by that comment.

I think the original posting was just asking how a person can rent cars, globe trot from country to country, maintain a web site, and sleep on their own "earned" money without any suplemental income from their parents, a monetary settlement from a court of law or the lottery commission.

> What's the story on the people from Morrisseytour.com? Are they
> Trust Fund babies? Lotto Winners? Kids who worked hard all year,
> saved their minimum-wage checks and now taking a three-month,
> multi-country field trip with expensive laptops and digital
> cameras to document it all? A group of MTV-pilot guinnea pigs?

I wondered the same things.

> This all seems highly upper-class to me -- not that there's
> anything wrong with upper-class, it's just that you rarely hear
> of an upper-class Morrissey fan. I know of no working-class
> Morrissey fan that could fund a trip like this. I'm not trying
> to be a smartass about this, I just want to know how THEY'RE
> doing it so I can take a few months off of work when he tours
> the states, too.

Whatever the case, it is a nice web site for those of us unable to attend the shows.

Re: Extra! Extra! "Responsibility = No Imagination," says M.

> None of the questions were addressed . . .
Don't forget, "M." has been a pretentious know-it-all online Moz fan for the past 6 years. Some of us have noticed.

> Most of us pay bills and no longer live at home. I could earn

that's what I did until I realized what a complete rip-off rent is. so I moved back to save up for some projects and trips. well worth it, but sometimes I think I spend too much on Moz. oh well.

> 13k per year as well, but I have student loans, rent and credit
> card bills that still must be paid (crediters have yet to accept
> my excuse that Morrissey is touring and the bills have to wait.)

welp, one of the girls with the Germany tour-gang says she has all those same bills so I guess it can still work for some people (if you like going in debt--I hate it because I try to avoid paying bankers' fees as much as possible.)

> No matter how many "friends around the world" you
> have, there still has to be a bit of conventionally unearned
> income coming in if you're not even earning $1000.00 per month
> (or are you one of the few lucky ones who doesn't eat.)

> You also say that "for the most part" the girl that
> runs Morrisseytour.com is self supporting. What does "for
> the most part" mean and what are your sources?

I don't know much about Angela, but I'm willing to bet she received a nice inheritance.

> Finally, just because people have responsibilities doesn't mean
> they have no imagination -- even you should be embarrassed by
> that comment.

she should be embarrassed by most of her comments.

> I think the original posting was just asking how a person can
> rent cars, globe trot from country to country, maintain a web
> site, and sleep on their own "earned" money without
> any suplemental income from their parents, a monetary settlement
> from a court of law or the lottery commission.

I'm curious too! Ever noticed how secretive Moz fanz are? Strange.

I'm not very sure, but...

I might have stood next to these people in the Vegas line...or someone like them. I overheard them (very loudly) talk about how they flew each leg of the Phoenix/Santa Barbara/Las Vegas trip and comparing all their past concert trips.

Obviously, these people do not live below the poverty level, or you would have heard them talk about how they took turns driving their '78 Volkswagen all night. On top of that, these people were able to jump in a plane and fly to Germany. They don't have jobs, unless they are on leave of absence, and they obviously aren't students unless they took the entire semester off, and if I had taken an entire semester off, my parents would have killed me coz all the student loans become due if you leave school.

I hate to say it, but the Westham girls thing needs to be retired. I know they figure that Morrissey would remember them if they popped up like that night after night, but I think the procedings are starting to wear on them to the point where they think that Moz's thank you to everyone who travelled for his German shows was directed solely at them. They also seem more intent on detailing how the security guards rough them up than anything else. Why are they still trying to climb over the barricades despite the fact that not only had they bumped into Morrissey himself in the lobby of his hotel, but that Morrissey has a very good reason for keeping everyone out to begin with (Alain's back)? Say, for example, they managed to get over, or distract the guards long enough and then 20 other people find an opportunity on the stage and they mess up things even worse? It appears these people seem to think Morrissey owes them every second of attention because of the distance they travelled.

If they are indeed poor, I do not want to see their credit card bills.

can I have $20?

> housefold) I went to 13 Morrissey shows on the Maladjusted tour
> alone. I also flew from California to England to catch the last
> few shows and then stayed in the UK for another month. All it
> takes is strong desire to see Morrissey, good planning, thrift,
> travel smarts, and self denial. And having friends all around
> the world helps, too. Some people just have no imagination. All
> I have to say is that if you want something dearly enough, you
> can become amazingly resourceful.

You're one of those bounders aren't you?

Re: What'sthe story, Butterglory?

> On an exploited graduate slave instructor's stipend of $13,000
> per annum (officially below poverty level income for a head of
> housefold)

Yeah, but that's different. When I was in college, I could live off gum stuck to my shoe.

I'll bet you have loans as well...?

>I went to 13 Morrissey shows on the Maladjusted tour
> alone. I also flew from California to England to catch the last
> few shows and then stayed in the UK for another month.

Most students can pull that off. You stay in a youth hostel and buy a supply of peanut butter and jelly. Or, if you are lucky and have friends there, then of course, there is no hotel bill. All you need is a plane ticket.

>All it
> takes is strong desire to see Morrissey, good planning, thrift,
> travel smarts, and self denial. And having friends all around
> the world helps, too.

Aha...now we can see how you could afford an entire month.

Some of us are internationally challenged, but of course, being a grad student at a university means that you bump into many foreigners who tell you to look them up later on...

I know this coz the university I went to had a large number of foreign born grad assistants.

>Some people just have no imagination. All
> I have to say is that if you want something dearly enough, you
> can become amazingly resourceful.

OK..we become grad instructors, make lots of foreign friends, get our ISIC card, fly on student fares, stay with foreign friends a while, see some shows....

oh yes, most of us can pull it off....

I know how expensive London is. I've been there. Food prices alone will kick your ass. Even their McDonald's type places can run you about $6-$7 for a meal. You can't tell me that a poor person with no foreign friends to feed them can afford that for an entire month.

Youth Hostels are about $20-$30...once again, over an entire month...

Re: I'm not very sure, but...

> If they are indeed poor, I do not want to see their credit card
> bills.

I think they are staying at people's houses (for free). They have a request for lodging up on their site. And they mention that they are getting low on funds. Some people have different priorities ...

You're right -- following Moz on tour is an impossible, stupid dream for ordinary boys & girls

Contrary to some sniping...you can find out for yourself at the morrisseytour site how wealthy the girls must be if they have to forgo some of the shows. We hate it when our friends have a good time... Here's to schadenfreud!

> None of the questions were addressed . . .

Do I have to state explicit methods? What's wrong with encouraging someone to use his loaf? What works for me may not work for the initial questioner. Again, it all comes down to wanting something dearly enough to focus brainpower on coming up with the specific practical means. The details are so individual that to list most of them would be of little value to someone not in my personal position, place, and time.

But if you insist: Through various promotions with travel and credit cards I qualified for discounts on rental cars. And getting a bunch of friends to pitch in for gas, lodging, etc. helps keep costs down. I'll host an out-of-town friend whenever possible, and often the favour is more than reciprocated. Besides staying for free with friends wherever possible, one friend got four of us a $1 room in a nice hotel in Salt Lake City because of some kind of travel promotion.

By diligent bargain-hunting I found out that Virgin offered nonstop direct flights Los Angeles-London for only $350 roundtrip in December (1997). As long as it isn't during Xmess dates, airfare specials should be comparably low again because who in her right mind wants to leave mild, sunny L.A. for grey old Blighty in mid December? Hey, I never claimed to be of sound mind. Funny how 80% of the seats were empty on the way out to London. Well, it was nice to stretch out and wait...

For autumn this year, S/W also offered restricted promotional flights between L.A. and Phoenix for only $31 each way. To fly to Vegas from my home airport in SoCal. was $33 each way. So much for Vegas, though. I could've saved even more money by driving-carpooling, but since it was so cheap to fly I figured I could afford to spare my old carcass the long drives through the burning deserts. Anyway, I do searches on the internet, in the free weekly papers, through my travel agent, etc. to find bargains. I'm also lucky to be living in an area well served by many airlines with lots of regular flights to a lot of destinations. I couldn't do this so easily if I lived in Alberta, Canada. Morrissey obliges by not touring much during the most expensive and restricted flight dates.

I pinch the pennies wherever I can: I brownbag my meals when at work or on campus instead of eating out. I rarely have to pay to go out to see a gig thanks to guestlists and free parties. I don't bevvy much, and if I do it's usually free. Whatever meagre influence or tatty perks I have, I work it. I also do without a tv/vcr, newspaper subscriptions, new clothes...I budget practically nothing for entertainment/extraneous things. I've sold whatever non-essential things I have lying around -- some promo cds/records I get for free, books, clothes, memorabilia, etc. Last month I randomly met Morrissey in person as I was heading to Melrose to sell my clothes and old Doc Martens to raise funds to see his shows. If I hadn't needed to raise extra money in light of his upcoming tour, I wouldn't have ventured out that way, and then I wouldn't have had the pleasure of meeting him so casually. What an unexpected delight to be impecunious for once!

I may not offer the best ideas for each person's own situation. It's better to suggest that one be individual and creative (while maintaining realistic vision) in getting the funds. Some people sell fanzines...their most viable commodity...their bodies...whatever is most advantageous and feasible for each person to support themselves while following the tour. Back during the Kill Uncle/Yr Arse. tours, I thought of buying gladioli and sunflowers wholesale and then selling them with a slight markup at the concerts, but then Morrissey seemed to stop liking flowers...and the whole seemed kind of stupid to me later on. I think all the flowers reminded me of those hippydippy Deadhead types. But you can learn a lot from the way all those Deadheads got around from city to city without a care or even a credit card.

> Most of us pay bills and no longer live at home. I could earn
> 13k per year as well, but I have student loans, rent and credit
> card bills that still must be paid (crediters have yet to accept

I'm in that situation. I live in rented flat with a roommate. I don't expect support from family. I pay all my own bills, too. I have some credit card debt, but it's entirely reasonable. I used a subsidized student loan to pay it off, and the student loan is interest-free long enough for me to work it off in a summer. If I have to be stuck working steadily for 4 months while living ascetically, that's totally worth my wonderful experience of seeing Morrissey at so many great shows.

> No matter how many "friends around the world" you
> have, there still has to be a bit of conventionally unearned
> income coming in if you're not even earning $1000.00 per month

Believe what you want to believe. If you want to insist that it can't be done, then go on and sulk. It matters little to me.

> You also say that "for the most part" the girl that
> runs Morrisseytour.com is self supporting. What does "for
> the most part" mean and what are your sources?

What do you want? Tax information? I say for the most part because I am not all-knowing of each of their individual financial details. But I can get a good impression at what general economic status they enjoy by seeing how they live. I've stayed in their homes (modest rentals from Oregon to NYC), seen the car one of them drove...nothing in their lifestyles ever broadcasted "trustfund brat" to me. The one who handles the site maintainence worked all kinds of crazy hours when I visited her in NYC (working day AND night plus weekend mornings-afternoons) this past summer. If she were getting comfortable financial support from mummy and daddy, why would she be working a full-time job plus side evening/weekend jobs? You think she's just some rich masochist? Working for kicks? Whatever. And to think I implied that scoffers lacked imagination!

> Finally, just because people have responsibilities doesn't mean
> they have no imagination -- even you should be embarrassed by
> that comment.

Thanks for putting foolish words into my mouth that I didn't say or mean... It seems to me that you don't really want to know how someone can do it on 13k. You sound more like you just want to rubbish the notion that some people can do it. Maybe having additional responsibilities could make one even MORE creative in thinking of ways to handle the responsibilities AND also meet one's goals as long as the desire to see Morrissey is great enough. Gotta love that "can-do" attitude of yours!

I was wrong. I shouldn't have said that some people lack imagination. I meant that some people must not DESIRE seeing Morrissey ENOUGH to exert their imaginations sufficiently to make it possible. Now whether you're SANE or not to follow, say, the entire Boxers tour on my income is entirely debatable. Anyway, what difference does it make to me if I admit to being crazy? I know several others who did such a thing and will gladly affirm that they are quite mad about Morrissey.

I'll admit I'm freer of responsibilities than most people my age -- I have flexible employment (but lower wages, no job security, and no benefits) and I don't have children, pets, or even houseplants to take care of on a daily basis. I never missed any academic or financial obligation when following Morrissey.

Or you can just believe that

I'm a spoiled brat who has tons of free money and little regard for responsibilities and financial consequences...I'm in no position to tell people to realize their nutty dreams. "You don't know a thing about their lives..."

give it up for Moz

> people sell fanzines...their most viable commodity...their
> bodies...whatever is most advantageous and feasible for each

whoa, are you actually telling us that some fanz have prostituted themselves to see Moz live in concert? I'd just assume skip the concert and fu[k Moz himself free of charge. sheesh.

Re: give it up for Moz

> whoa, are you actually telling us that some fanz have
> prostituted themselves to see Moz live in concert? I'd just
> assume skip the concert and fu[k Moz himself free of charge.
> sheesh.

Morrissey screws his fans for FREE? What a nice guy.

This Halloween I go as Myself

Re: give it up for Moz

Classy gal, Key Slapper.

> Morrissey screws his fans for FREE? What a nice guy.

Re: You're right -- following Moz on tour is an impossible, stupid dream for ordinary boys & gir

Most people who are asking are not students with entire months of free time. We get exactly 2 weeks. Sometimes, the company you work for doesn't even pay you for those two weeks until you had been there for a year..I know this because of the first station I worked at. At the end of those two weeks, their employers come hunting them down with large sticks wanting to know where their employee is at. Some of us would actually like to own something and not sit on inflatable chairs. It might be exciting to see Morrissey every second he is on stage, but you are going to be bored as hell for the year or two in between when you have no TV or stereo. Some of us would like to have personal relationships rather than take a 2nd job. What we are aiming for is quality of life.

And as for me, I probably could get off my duff and go to every single Morrissey show. But when Vegas got cancelled, I realized something over my refreshing Dr. Pepper cheerfully provided by the local McDonald's in exchange for money. I realized that no matter what, I was still going home after all this. I knew how Coachella was going to turn out and where it was all leading (no, not cancelled, but...well, it was dark and the crowds are nuts...it wasn't going to be the most enjoyable experience), and the weird thing is that when I was walking to Mandalay Bay, I had a weird feeling there would be no show that night. I chose to ignore it as nerves, but it turned out to be true. I didn't know a thing about the stage invasion in Santa Barbara because I had already left before the show.

I got very philisophical. Everyone made a big deal about him skipping Texas on his tour last time. Well, i worried over my arrangements. I hopped on a plane. I had large pictures of Paul Anka staring at me. I was at Mandalay Bay. I had missed supper. I had a pounding headache. I was 200 feet from the door. And still, I wasn't any closer to the finish line than if I stayed at home. It's not Alain's fault for it. It's just other things.

And when I was at Coachella, I got a really weird out of body experience just thinking about all the different circumstances everyone was drawn to that place, yet they were all willing to step over one another in pettiness and selfishness in thinking their reasons for being there were the best ones.

I have things here to take care of, even if I don't want to, and weirdly enough, every day since then has been like finding a $1 bill lying in the street. I'm not bitter or mad that those girls are following the tour. That's the closest they're going to get to what they want.

Re: You're right -- following Moz on tour is an impossible, stupid dream for ordinary boys & gir

Ouch! I cant belive i sat here for 10 minutes and read that whole thing! I think however she is sort-of right. I lived off $400 a month some how. I dont even know how I did it. You become resourseful when you really have to make it count. I also think that she has placed herself with the right situation for doing precisely this. How many people are willing to give up their jobs and pay and homes and cars to be able to pick up and go see a whole tour. She is telling you it can be done on $13k but that is also precisely how she can do it too. You cant hold onto a full time job and just go on tour with the band. The employer would be out of his mind if he let you have a job when you got back (anyone making over $8 per hr, 40+ hrs a week. will know that.) So Its just a matter of how much are you willing to *SACRIFICE* to see Morrissey do the whole tour.??? Don't knock it 'till you try it. I am sure it is worth it to some extent. I wish I could do it as well. But I am not willing to part with all that I have worked so hard to overcome. I will wait for December... and You can bet your whole years salery that I will be there for both the rumored shows if they happen.
Have a good time all you with the guts to make it happen!!!

> I wondered the same things.

> Whatever the case, it is a nice web site for those of us unable
> to attend the shows.
I agree with loafingoaf

Has anybody tried just asking them?

I mean, they obviously have access to a computer, and it doesn't seem like they're working for the label or anything so they're probably very accessible albeit busy. Undoubtedly they've tons of letters flooding their inbox, but I think if you're curious enough it's worth a try.

I don't think it's so unreasonable to ask this question as long as you aren't too rude about it.

I personally wouldn't enjoy watching so many of his (same) shows in such a small span of time. I actually somewhat respect their loyalty to our Mozza and their enthusiasm for his performances. The good news is that they've managed to break into the inner touring circle (girls always have it easier with male bands) so for the rest of this tour they should be quite chummy with the band. That's actually very lucky because following a band on tour doesn't necessarily mean that you'll ever even once meet the band/artist and they managed to do that quite early.

I must admit though, I was a little surprised with those girls' meeting with Steven (in the hotel lobby or something). He seemed a bit cool about, at this stage in his career, a group of youngsters would be so willing to follow him and attend every single show of his tour. Or did I not catch something? Of course, I don't know what I'd expect him to do though. So maybe I'm being too judgemental about the poor man.

By the way, I wonder if any of the girls have slept with Steven. At this point, I wouldn't put it past him. I almost assume that the bloke from Sack (is it?) has given at least one of them a little poke.

Back
Top Bottom