What now? A frank and open deep conversation

After the recent tour fiascos I think he should really write the whole 2024 off. Rest, get whatever help is needed (depending on the problem: addiction or depression, or both), try to mend bridges (like Amy wrote), reconnect with old friends, read a lot, watch movies, take long walks. Do nothing in public, not even pen some obitaries. Buy Bonfire back on the quiet. Then in January 2025 the comeback, if health permits: self-release Bonfire, do some touring but announce gigs gradually, test the waters if he can really perform, try to reclaim his place in the world and the trust of his audience step by step. If things go well, then put out Without Music in fall 2025.

for me hes a creature of habit and wouldnt surprise me if he announced a tour later this year.
some good ideas on this thread though i dont think him stopping obituaries is a goer,its usually people he grew up watching or admired,its a final goodbye to these people.

And no more interviews with family members or fake characters like John Riggers, please. It doesn't help you @all. The interview on US-telly showed you are still able to leave your comfort zone (a little bit).

As opposed to most people on this site or in this thread I think he’s actually doing quite well. Certainly compared to other artists that I have admired from the 1980s. He still is a high profile artist who tours regularly and releases a lot of new music, three albums in the last 7 years.
Surely in 2024 or 2025 we will get new music.

The only thing I would wish he would change is go out and do some press and promotion. I know he doesn’t trust a single journalist anymore, but I’m sure under the right conditions it is possible to still do interviews. Just stay clear of politics.
The Fox morning show was a good starting point.

The only thing I would wish he would change is go out and do some press and promotion. I know he doesn’t trust a single journalist anymore, but I’m sure under the right conditions it is possible to still do interviews. Just stay clear of politics.
The Fox morning show was a good starting point.

It was great when he went on the One Show in 2009. It really humanised him. What a time to be alive.

I’ve no desire to see a new album cycle tour, it has to be Vauxhall anniversary shows or a greatest hits / 90’s era’s setlists from here on out. Absolutely no chance of either with Donnie and Jessie clinging to power.

If any other artist had written songs like playboys, tomorrow, panic etc etc they would be played every night and fans would leave happy, but we all know it’s not about that at this point.

The first show of 2020 at Leeds arena which previewed as then the unheard songs from Dog on a Chain. When just a few months earlier on the US fall tour he played absolute classics in their place like hairdresser on fire, girl afraid, why don’t you find out for yourself, i won’t share you, dial a cliche. He’s not sang those songs in the UK in so long he’s lost a generation of diehards since then lol

Alain was the one coming back and making a difference with the setlists / momentum of things or at least it felt that way.
I was at Blackpool & Hammersmith - Moz was happy with Alain’s influence to sing the older songs again but even that was short lived. I don’t see a way back now.

As opposed to most people on this site or in this thread I think he’s actually doing quite well. Certainly compared to other artists that I have admired from the 1980s. He still is a high profile artist who tours regularly and releases a lot of new music, three albums in the last 7 years.
But you're really referring to the 2017--2020 era and a record contract that doesn't exist anymore. The last album was released four years ago and the last two tours have been total disasters, one half-cancelled and the second one didn't even start. It has been all scorched earth since 2020.

Well, the most important thing now is Moz getting well.

After that, he should release his two unreleased albums under an indie label or by himself. It's inbelievable that any artists can release whatever they produce but Morrissey can't.

But you're really referring to the 2017--2020 era and a record contract that doesn't exist anymore. The last album was released four years ago and the last two tours have been total disasters, one half-cancelled and the second one didn't even start. It has been all scorched earth since 2020.
Last year he played most concerts that he was supposed to, didn't he? Only Nottingham and Perth were cancelled.
I saw him at the tour in March and thought he was in great form, and spirit.

And he recorded two albums since 2020, so the inspiration and the productivity is still there.

True that he needs another record contract. But the more time goes by, the more likely he will get one.
Don't forget he went through periods without a contract before (1997-2004, 2009-2014) and eventually chances always arose.
The problem is that he seems unwilling to do any promotion, at least not the press part. He really needs to sort that out.

I’m still genuinely wondering why the last string of shows all featured pretty much the same set list every time. Prior to that things had always been mixed up to a worthwhile or at least noticeable degree. Is it the band that can’t perform the songs or Morrissey being lazy and bland?

First and foremost, health is wealth. I hope Moz is doing all he can to get back to his best. From a music point of view, I hope he's still motivated to create and release his art. He is a controversial figure in the eyes of many and is perceived to be difficult by probably any major label that he has dealt with previously, but I'm sure he won't be alone in that regard.

If Josh Klinghoffer is needing any phone repairs done, send him my way.

Hopefully he'll rest up for as long as he needs. Then get his albums back - replace the Miley bits with someone less likely to torpedo everything and then release on a new label.
Then when he's ready - the Comeback Special shows!
I see I should have posted the above in this thread.

Also if by the time M is ready to roll any of the band have been enticed away - well maybe that's an opportunity to reengage with previous band mates. It's happened before. Incidentally I wish someone would do one of those band members timeline graphs you usually see on Wikipedia - for Moz it would be epic!
I wonder if any contracts with his "management" will expire by then? Maybe some of his contemporaries could suggest someone capable. There has to be other industry professionals out there who can take it on. Though of course such advice won't necessarily be welcome and things could get awkward:

The only "information" we get is through the media and Morrissey and co, but I have the impression he hasn't established a home as such and seems to travel a lot even when not touring, which can't be good for someone who is allegedly frightened of flying and the lack of autonomy in airports. So I would suggest starting with a firm base ie a home instead of hotels, and some calm time. He always said he didn't make plans, maybe now is the time to start. I have been an itinerant for three weeks now and have stayed in as many places, trying to manage the well-being of a pet at the same time. I can't imagine what it's like longterm or as a lifestyle choice. I can't wait to get back into my home - though I acknowledge we are not all the same.

Also if by the time M is ready to roll any of the band have been enticed away - well maybe that's an opportunity to reengage with previous band mates. It's happened before. Incidentally I wish someone would do one of those band members timeline graphs you usually see on Wikipedia - for Moz it would be epic!
Maybe you could spare a few minutes and update this. That would be epic!

I know these roads
Each ridge and narrow bridge
Each chevron
Enticing me on
Each warning sign
I take in my stride

I know these roads
Each ridge and narrow bridge
Each chevron
Enticing me on
Each warning sign
I take in my stride
Fantastic, amazing, gorgeous song. The Morrissey of the deepest depths of my heart is the Morrissey of “Ammunition”, “He Cried”, “NMHIF”, “Symphonies”, “Camden”, “Boxers”.

Fantastic, amazing, gorgeous song. The Morrissey of the deepest depths of my heart is the Morrissey of “Ammunition”, “He Cried”, “NMHIF”, “Symphonies”, “Camden”, “Boxers”.

Yeah, they’re alright.

;)

I wish he would:
Fire Knutson and anyone else who isn’t helping him. Be it band members or web admins or whoever.

Mend bridges.

Buy a proper home in a place he really feels safe and secure.

Relax.

Think about his future as a recording artist.

Back
Top Bottom