What MOZ thing that was once in progress / rumored do you wish had been spawned?

Of course I remember all that -- my point was that so much water has passed under the bridge since those lean years, and the ability to spread video footage has become so much easier...I was hoping it would just sort find its way onto the 'net. Then again, the filmmaker would be even more out of pocket than he already is on that project.

Either you have the greatest memory in human history (you remember that he mumbled an almost inaudible "well, almost" 8 years ago?), or you checked out the below clip in Morrissey-Solo's own archives (thanks David T), which is what I should've done. Anyway, it was actually the Hot Press awards in 1998, the year after Maladjusted, and you're right that Moz was the presenter, not the recipient (crossing my wires with the Ivor Novello award he won around that time).

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/content/video/bestgroup.ram

I thought it was a separate manuscript about Thunders. Would Bono really call what was essentially a 50-page fanzine a "great book"?

In short, I can't believe 8 years flew by that quickly.

there are so many mistakes in this i feel i have to comment ...

it was U2 who won the award
M introduced u2 as "the incredibly sexy ..."
it was in ireland ... M was there by way of his ancestry
bono was talking of u2 being REAL music in the way that
johnny thunders was REAL music ... he said that he thought
M once wrote a book on JT ... M said "well, almost" referring
to his new york dolls book
this was around the time of maladjusted if memory serves
(and perhaps even southpaw if not) hence nowhere near
"the importance of being" which was 2002

Either you have the greatest memory in human history (you remember that he mumbled an almost inaudible "well, almost" 8 years ago?), or you checked out the below clip in Morrissey-Solo's own archives (thanks David T), which is what I should've done. Anyway, it was actually the Hot Press awards in 1998, the year after Maladjusted, and you're right that Moz was the presenter, not the recipient (crossing my wires with the Ivor Novello award he won around that time).

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/content/video/bestgroup.ram

I thought it was a separate manuscript about Thunders. Would Bono really call what was essentially a 50-page fanzine a "great book"?

In short, I can't believe 8 years flew by that quickly.

greatest memory in human history? i could remember THAT
but some days i cant even remember what i had for breakfast.

i always presumed he was talking about the dolls book ...

Of course I remember all that -- my point was that so much water has passed under the bridge since those lean years, and the ability to spread video footage has become so much easier...I was hoping it would just sort find its way onto the 'net. Then again, the filmmaker would be even more out of pocket than he already is on that project.

Gotcha (I understand). Since the record companies own the copyright in the sound recordings...I doubt Morrissey had the rights to give them to another. Accordingly, without the requisite legal permissions...well you know the story.

Happy Holidays!! :D

The 1991 documentary that was FILMED by the late Tim Broad, following Morrissey on his West Coast USA 'Kill Uncle' tour. The NME published a news story in July '91 confirming that EMI were to release this footage commercially as a long-form video after the doc had been screened by MTV. In 1991 this news was indescribably thrilling !!! We waited, waited, waited.... nothing appeared. There was another mention of the 'project' in a piece in 'Musician' magazine that summer that suggested it was to get a full theatrical release and would be more of a biographical portrait than a tour doc.
The footage, as far as I am aware, remained unseen, until the summer of 2003 when tantalising excerpts were liberally sprinkled throughout 'The Importance of Being Morrissey'; Moz and Bowie backstage, Moz lounging by the Sunset Marquis pool with his golden 7 inches, Moz being filmed being photographed by Linder being filmed being photographed, etc., etc. All glorious, glorious stuff. Beautifully shot on yer actual celluloid film, capturing an amazing point in Moz history.
Whilst it was great to finally see some of this material it was frustrating not to see more, in full, as a piece, etc. I am also quite sure that there is probably a hell of alot more cracking footage of Morrissey that Tim Broad shot over those fledgling solo years that lies unseen in the fabled 'Morrissey Archive', including the afore-mentioned 'Hulmerist' material which I'm sure included many possible treats (Moz and friends in transit on that smashing old bus for instance, the full concert, etc.)
Anyway, I don't know if we'll ever get to see more of the Broad footage but it's nice to hope, and I do know one thing - the 'Morrissey Archive' must be fit to bursting with cancelled, unseen, withdrawn filmed/taped projects given the amount of concerts we know have been pro-shot over the years that have come to nothing.
Kind regards,
joe.

The 1991 documentary that was FILMED by the late Tim Broad, following Morrissey on his West Coast USA 'Kill Uncle' tour. The NME published a news story in July '91 confirming that EMI were to release this footage commercially as a long-form video after the doc had been screened by MTV. In 1991 this news was indescribably thrilling !!! We waited, waited, waited.... nothing appeared. There was another mention of the 'project' in a piece in 'Musician' magazine that summer that suggested it was to get a full theatrical release and would be more of a biographical portrait than a tour doc.
The footage, as far as I am aware, remained unseen, until the summer of 2003 when tantalising excerpts were liberally sprinkled throughout 'The Importance of Being Morrissey'; Moz and Bowie backstage, Moz lounging by the Sunset Marquis pool with his golden 7 inches, Moz being filmed being photographed by Linder being filmed being photographed, etc., etc. All glorious, glorious stuff. Beautifully shot on yer actual celluloid film, capturing an amazing point in Moz history.
Whilst it was great to finally see some of this material it was frustrating not to see more, in full, as a piece, etc. I am also quite sure that there is probably a hell of alot more cracking footage of Morrissey that Tim Broad shot over those fledgling solo years that lies unseen in the fabled 'Morrissey Archive', including the afore-mentioned 'Hulmerist' material which I'm sure included many possible treats (Moz and friends in transit on that smashing old bus for instance, the full concert, etc.)
Anyway, I don't know if we'll ever get to see more of the Broad footage but it's nice to hope, and I do know one thing - the 'Morrissey Archive' must be fit to bursting with cancelled, unseen, withdrawn filmed/taped projects given the amount of concerts we know have been pro-shot over the years that have come to nothing.
Kind regards,
joe.

Thanks for all that great info, Joe. I always thought a Moz documentary filmed by D.A. Pennebaker would have been something special. But given what you said...there surely is plenty for a documentary - albeit a retrospective one. If Wolverhampton footage, this Kill Uncle Tour footage you’ve shed light on, could be combined with that middle-ish / record label-less period ("Morrissey South" - yes I realize there are legal hurdles), with footage of the ROTT tour, etc....what a wonderful film that could make.

Back
Top Bottom