What kind of man reads Scandal & Passion?

A

Alf Button

I've finally,manfully struggled on and finished reading Bret's tome, and it's time that I shall never get back.
Riddled with inaccuracies and pure conjecture, I would advise against anyone purchasing this book regardless of it's price.
"....reputable biographers do check their facts, if for no other reason than not to be sued!"
There are too many unchecked facts to mention: Bret lists the inaudible crowd noises, ticking clocks, snatches of radio/television dialogue in "You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side" which all can be heard quite clearly in "Seasick, Yet Still Docked";Bobby Moore becomes Billy Wright; Cal Dean - a relative of James Dean - becomes a character of fiction for the sake of the "Suedehead" video; "The Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye" is culled from "Bona Drag" ; the etching of Oscar Wilde - in reality by Chas Kendrick - on the promotional "Interesting Drug" 12" is attributed to Morrissey! etc.etc.etc.
Bret makes continuous references to French music - he appears to be knowledgeable on the subject, but as I am no expert I cannot confirm his details - in particular Barbara, mentioning the similarity between many of her songs and Morrisseys. In noting that any apostle will purchase whatever Morrissey likes, or his influenced by, is the author hoping for a surge in the sales of Gallic chanteuses?
One day the tatty truth will be told, but not just yet, the story isn't over.This book only became readable as I wondered where the next glaring gaffe would occur, a seven year old with a library card and walkman could have achieved more clarity and clout.I wish I'd been resolute and thrown the book onto the fire.

pic208220.jpg

Sorry you had to actually pay for the book (?), but is there at least *one* nugget of information that has heretofore never been revealed? Nothing that surprised you? And how much of Morrissey's relationship with Th' Lads touched on, if at all? Any insights into the Spencer thing?

Cheers

I have to agree....

I'm half way through the book.
Bret has a pop at Rogan by asking 'do we need to know that Elvis was number one when Morrissey was born'?
Then later on, when when refering to another artist and song, Bret claims the song was released the week Morrissey was born!
I too find the French connections very irritating, as also his use of the term 'film vignette' for each and every video.
And did Morrissey really record in Reading to be 'near to the gaol where Oscar Wilde was one imprisioned??
The Goat

I cannot recall one revelatory 'nugget' where my jaw hit the floor.
The title 'Scandal & Passion' is a virtual misnomer, the scandal non-existent and the passion - Morrissey's love life? - bordering on tabloid tittle-tattle.
Apparently Gary Day initially left after " some very heated set-tos in the studio", and " despite some of the barbed comments they had made, Whyte, Boz Boorer and Gary Day were still working with Morrissey".
None of the barbed comments are revealed, and if a quote - from sources unknown -is proferred it is credited to one of Morrissey's musicians, no name or rank given.

P.S. The Oscar Wilde picture is not the original - that can be found in Vyvyan Holland's 'Oscar Wilde and his World' - but a wallpaper I designed amending the etching.

pic208239.jpg

Deliberate Mistake In Publishing His Address?

actually I don't think it morally correct to print Morrissey's address,is this why there is a deliberate error in it?

If there isn't a N**** S******* Drive, then it won't take too much for people to work out the correct address.

maybe we should have a competition to see how many errors can be found in the book?

These are the ones I found just from skimming the index..

"Boy with A Thorn In His Side"? good grief.

Dallesandro, Joc

I Want a Boyfriend For My Birthday

Last Night I Dreamed That Somebody Loved Me

Edith Sitell

No wonder it's in the bargain bins already.

All these people need is a good proof-reader/fact-checker.

it's pretty bad when david t (the guy who has posted stories about rainbow colored gay pride belts with morrissey photos on the buckle) won't even put a blurb about the book being available in stores for purchase.

i think it'd be funny just to read the damn thing, and i'm waiting for Johnny Rogans' smackdown.

What kind of man? An absolutely wonderful one who has just saved me the trouble of ever cracking open a copy. Thanks Alf!

Alas, had I seen this two days ago, I would have avoided my own manful struggle.

Are the photos fair cop? At least representational of all the eras of his career? I thought the photo section in Landscapes of the Mind was cheap--in fact, the glue was so flimsy that mine fell out of the book!

Thanks for the info, Alf.

Cheers,

Jamie

Back
Top Bottom