What is the religion of Morrissey?

And...

Major Latino, Catholic fanbsase = mucho dinero. Keep them interested? Pay homage? Help them relate? = Wear crosses, a clerical collar, and beautifully sing... I Have Forgiven Jesus and Dear God Please Help Me.

The Catholic shtick started when exactly? Not in the early days when his fan base consisted primarily of young, anti-establishment, pasty-faced Manc lads. Didn't he once use the Union Jack to connect with a particular demographic?

Moz is a salesmen. He is selling his music, but more importantly, his image. Who's buying... these days?

Just a theory.

Bingo, he never bothered with that shit in the 80's but since the mid to late 90's he's been a Demi-God in the Hispanic and Latino community ( who are largely catholic) so it suits his image to peddle the tragic catholic crooner, I don't believe deep down that he believes in god. He worships himself more than God, it's like in '95 when he started wearing Fred Perrys and Lonsdale shirts with Levi's denim jackets, he goes through these phases.

If he wants to promote that image then that's fine, but there's no way he's actually a practising Christian.

Last edited:
Bingo, he never bothered with that shit in the 80's but since the mid to late 90's he's been a Demi-God in the Hispanic and Latino community ( who are largely catholic) so it suits his image to peddle the tragic catholic crooner, I don't believe deep down that he believes in god. He worships himself more than God, it's like in '95 when he started wearing Fred Perrys and Lonsdale shirts with Levi's denim jackets, he goes through these phases.

If he wants to promote that image then that's fine, but there's no way he's actually a practising Christian.

FP2862-BIG-BANG-THEORY-bazinga.jpg

Of course. :)

But... it's not about winning or losing. But rather, about sharing opinions. And perhaps, ruffling a few feathers. :D

I think you have a belief that he is Atheist. You want to believe it so bad that he is Atheist you will not reference any of his written word to substantiate your idea but rely on inconsequential minutiae to back-up your claim. You realize the glaring irony of this, right?

Of course. :)

But... it's not about winning or losing. But rather, about sharing opinions. And perhaps, ruffling a few feathers. :D

OK, win was a poor choice of word. And yes, discussion on a discussion forum - fair enough. It's just one of those topics in which none of you can really know and relies upon a subjective understanding of him as a private person as well as his motivations. It's going to be nearly always way off the mark.

But you're right, sharing opinions is the name of the game. :)

Last edited:
OK, win was a poor choice of word. And yes, discussion on a discussion forum - fair enough. It's just it is one of those topics in which none of you can really know and relies upon a subjective understanding of him as a private person as well as his motivations. It's going to be nearly always way off the mark.

But you're right, sharing opinions is the name of the game. :)

Ya, I really have no clue, to be honest. Perhaps it is just wishful thinking. We all wish for those we admire to be like-minded, no? But it really doesn't matter to me. I'm not sleeping with him, after all. And he isn't an elected official making policy. So... ya, as long as he balances out the Christian symbolism and lyrics with secular stuff, it's all good.

Ya, I really have no clue, to be honest. Perhaps it is just wishful thinking. We all wish for those we admire to be like-minded, no? But it really doesn't matter to me. I'm not sleeping with him, after all. And he isn't an elected official making policy. So... ya, as long as he balances out the Christian symbolism and lyrics with secular stuff, it's all good.

So you're acknowledging he makes Christian references and is, most likely, not an Atheist? Are we calling believing wishing now? Semantics is a beautiful thing for the straw grasper. :rolleyes:

Aye, 'tis true.

Not sure that Mozza admires him though...:D

And anyway, would it matter if you were sleeping with him?

- - - Updated - - -

So you're acknowledging he makes Christian references and is, most likely, not an Atheist? Are we calling believing wishing now? Semantics is a beautiful thing for the straw grasper. :rolleyes:

That's my point Crystal. You can say he makes Christian references but you can't deduce from that that he is, most likely, not an Atheist.

I have a crucifix hanging in my bedroom. I have a pendant of Mary on my key ring. I am an atheist.

Aye, 'tis true.

I have never slept with an atheist. And I am NOT a virgin. So I guess not. :D In an ideal world, everyone would be an atheist... and all men would be well endowed. But this is reality. You take what you can get. If that means a nubby little Christian every once in a while, so be it. :lbf:

- - - Updated - - -

Aye, 'tis true.

- - - Updated - - -

That's my point Crystal. You can say he makes Christian references but you can't deduce from that that he is, most likely, not an Atheist.

I have a crucifix hanging in my bedroom. I have a pendant of Mary on my key ring. I am an atheist.

:love:

Last edited:

Excellent point, but the evidence is sort of overwhelming that he believes in God based on his writing. And his mannerisms on stage, at a show I saw he said "God bless you." after making the sign of the cross. Now granted, my best friend is an Atheist who teaches fourth grade at a Catholic School. If the parallel were that the audience were his classroom and the minute Moz walks off stage he's spouting "f*** the church" and rants ad nauseum that all Catholics are either raping or being raped by one another, then I'd say, "Okay, maybe it's a show." But to wear a crucifix and a rosary to a Tom Jones conert where there are no Latinos to impress and no marketing to be done, ADDED to his poetry half his song I think are being sung directly to God, I'd say, "Mehhhhhh, maybe not an Atheist and/or marketing scheme." While you are Atheist and have a Mary keychain, I've not read your writing to make the same parallel.

Excellent point, but the evidence is sort of overwhelming that he believes in God based on his writing. And his mannerisms on stage, at a show I saw he said "God bless you." after making the sign of the cross. Now granted, my best friend is an Atheist who teaches fourth grade at a Catholic School. If the parallel were that the audience were his classroom and the minute Moz walks off stage he's spouting "f*** the church" and rants ad nauseum that all Catholics are either raping or being raped by one another, then I'd say, "Okay, maybe it's a show." But to wear a crucifix and a rosary to a Tom Jones conert where there are no Latinos to impress and no marketing to be done, ADDED to his poetry half his song I think are being sung directly to God, I'd say, "Mehhhhhh, maybe not an Atheist and/or marketing scheme." While you are Atheist and have a Mary keychain, I've not read your writing to make the same parallel.

You may be right. He might be a theist. If I were to put money on it, that would be my guess.

Or he might like rosaries. I do. I also particularly find pleasure in a Hail Mary. Using a rosary is quite meditative.

As a Catholic, I also think it never leaves you. Whilst I am no longer a believer every now and again I enjoy attending mass. It's fun. It's theatre. I like saying 'peace be with you' to my neighbour. Making the sign of the cross, dipping a finger in the holy water basin, genuflecting, etc it reminds me of my childhood.

Ultimately we can surmise, draw from our own experience but it's such a personal and private stance we can only imagine. No amount of evidence will prove one way or another.

(Although I profoundly reject the idea that it is a marketing ploy.)

Last edited:
You may be right. He might be a theist. If I were to put money on it, that would be my guess.

Or he might like rosaries. I do. I also particularly find pleasure in a Hail Mary. Using a rosary is quite meditative.

As a Catholic, I also think it never leaves you. Whilst I am no longer a believer every now and again I enjoy attending mass. It's fun. It's theatre. I like saying 'peace be with you' to my neighbour. Making the sign of the cross, dipping a finger in the aspersorium, genuflecting, etc it reminds me of my childhood.

Ultimately we can surmise, draw from our own experience but it's such a personal and private stance we can only imagine. No amount of evidence will prove one way or another.

(Although I profoundly reject the idea that it is a marketing ploy.)

Thank you, and thank you particularly for the last line. That idea is as preposterous as a Smiths reunion.

I'm not baptized Catholic, I don't take communion, but I find comfort in the church. I attend a service on occasion conducted in Latin at a seminary, the choir is phenomenal, breathtaking. God is in the notes and the incense. Then when the homily starts after mass I cringe at the backwards ideas and nod at the wholesome ones. It's perverse and closed minded to say ALL OF YOU ARE WRONG AND EVERYTHING YOU DO IS WRONG. You can pick and choose your spirituality and tailor-make an ideology without having to attend mass 60 times a year. I suspect Morrissey maybe does something like that.

Last edited:
I have never slept with an atheist. And I am NOT a virgin. So I guess not. :D In an ideal world, everyone would be atheists... and all men would be well endowed. But this is reality. You take what you can get. If that means a nubby little Christian every once in a while, so be it. :lbf:

- - - Updated - - -

:love:

I am in complete shock, is this the woman I admire and love?

I think you have a belief that he is Atheist. You want to believe it so bad that he is Atheist you will not reference any of his written word to substantiate your idea but rely on inconsequential minutiae to back-up your claim. You realize the glaring irony of this, right?

I'm sorry to point this out to you, but you're talking about irony while telling someone that they are believing what they choose to believe about Morrissey. I mean, really. Inconsequential minutiae? LOL Listen, I like you and I don't like her, but she's seeing what she wants to see and you are seeing what you want to see. If she DID somehow prove Morrissey is an atheist, you would take a couple of words in her response and rearrange the letters so they spell, "No actually I am not an atheist. Crystal Geezer is right." Except some of the letters would be missing and we'd have to translate one of the words into Greek and back. Come on. And you're telling people it's ironic that they rely on the evidence that best makes their case while ignoring other evidence. Well, that's certainly ironic.

Thank you, and thank you particularly for the last line. That idea is as preposterous as a Smiths reunion.

I'm not baptized Catholic, I don't take communion, but I find comfort in the church. I attend a service on occasion conducted in Latin at a seminary, the choir is phenomenal, breathtaking. God is in the notes and the incense. Then when the homily starts after mass I cringe at the backwards ideas and nod at the wholesome ones. It's perverse and closed minded to say ALL OF YOU ARE WRONG AND EVERYTHING YOU DO IS WRONG. You can pick and choose your spirituality and tailor-make an ideology without having to attend mass 60 times a year. I suspect Morrissey maybe does something like that.

You certainly can pick and choose your own spirituality. It doesn't give it any more credibility though in what is actually the reality and isn't that the point? To learn how things work? Otherwise aren't we all just telling ourselves things that feel good? While that can be comforting, it isn't necessarily useful in understanding the natural (and the supernatural should it exist).

I think people get into very dodgy water when they try to cherry pick beliefs and then claim themselves as a theist. I think the more logical and correct identification would be something along the lines of an agnostic theist but my definitions could be off.

You certainly can pick and choose your own spirituality. It doesn't give it any more credibility though in what is actually the reality and isn't that the point? To learn how things work? Otherwise aren't we all just telling ourselves things that feel good? While that can be comforting, it isn't necessarily useful in understanding the natural (and the supernatural should it exist).

I think people get into very dodgy water when they try to cherry pick beliefs and then claim themselves as a theist. I think the more logical and correct identification would be something along the lines of an agnostic theist but my definitions could be off.

I have more respect for the fundamentalists than the cherry pickers. They really believe what they say and are consistent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom