What do you think of Morrissey getting his band to wear sloganed t-shirts?

What do you think of Morrissey getting his band to wear sloganed t-shirts?

• Total voters
I think they look cooler in their individual clothes. But that is just me and my fashion opinion.

I'm overcome with indifference.

I am not disrespecting the songwriting credibility of any of them, but when on stage, they are merely the backing band for Morrissey. It seems that they ought to wear what Morrissey asks or seek a payday elsewhere.

In terms of the getups, they are quite amusing, nuns, in drag etc etc. I think if you have a sense of humour its fine.

Looking like a Petshop boys video!!!

Why are the band wear only yellow swimming shorts and Boorer a dress?

tumblr_lga3dhH3OH1qccbu9o1_r1_500.gif

Re: Looking like a Petshop boys video!!!

Maybe Boz feels more comfortable in womens clothing.

tumblr_lga9c8hn3R1qd96bco1_500.gif

there you go...simple answer but about the budgie smugglers. The latest footage looks like an awful burlesque show!

I almost started a thread on this and maybe I should have but.. it's related at least..

What I was wondering about was WHY Morrissey makes the band dress up so stupidly?

Does anyone have a take on that?

I almost started a thread on this and maybe I should have but.. it's related at least..

What I was wondering about was WHY Morrissey makes the band dress up so stupidly?

To amuse himself / remind everybody that he's the real "star" / distract the audience from their clunky playing?

Maybe so he stands out from other middle aged rockers out there (U2, Springsteen, etc..)? Maybe he's bored? Playing out a New York Dolls fantasy? If I were to see Moz in concert and he had the band dress up it wouldn't ruin it for me, but it would be a bit strange and distracting. Especially Boz in drag. He is the one that bothers me the most-it reminds me of a skit from "I Love Lucy" to see him in that sparkly dress and that wig and drag makeup. I can't help thinking about how great Boz looked in the lads' rockabilly era, and how they all used to dress so hip in their own clothes.

I'm basically indifferent... It's not too unlike him painting "BAD" on his neck, so it doesn't exactly take me by surprise or seem out of character or anything. The only way it becomes an issue is if he chooses a lame slogan... The members can make their own choice not to do it if they feel "degraded" by it.

I hate it.

Back in 1991, the band had personality and over time, the distinct membership of the group has become very blurry. I have no idea who the keyboard bloke is, and he seems to change every week. The fact that in 2007, he ditched his bassist of 16 years without a moments thought for a couple of shows, then brought him back for a bit, then fired/removed him without explanation really was the nail in the coffin for any pretence of there being a band. The Boorer/Whyte/Day core lineup that lasted in the main to the end of 2006 was strong, and when Jesse came in, then the two Walkers, then the other bloke on keyboards, Morrissey's band just became bland, anonymous, and lacking in balls.

These days, its a bunch of probably pliant session musicians who will wear what they are told to wear, say nothing, and not step too near the front of the stage. Morrissey has always liked power and, even in the early days of the Smiths, has opportunistically wielded it mercilessly and often cruelly whenever possible.

Take my clothes off? Whatever you say Moz!
Wear a dress? YES SIR!
Smother every song in dull sludge? If you insist.

Much as I love Boz, the fact is that his band is now a bunch of soldiers, and Morrissey is the general who removes anyone who questions his authority. I much preferre dit when he was lacking confidence and seeking the solidarity of a band in 1991. That band was amazing.

I hate it.

Back in 1991, the band had personality and over time, the distinct membership of the group has become very blurry. I have no idea who the keyboard bloke is, and he seems to change every week. The fact that in 2007, he ditched his bassist of 16 years without a moments thought for a couple of shows, then brought him back for a bit, then fired/removed him without explanation really was the nail in the coffin for any pretence of there being a band. The Boorer/Whyte/Day core lineup that lasted in the main to the end of 2006 was strong, and when Jesse came in, then the two Walkers, then the other bloke on keyboards, Morrissey's band just became bland, anonymous, and lacking in balls.

These days, its a bunch of probably pliant session musicians who will wear what they are told to wear, say nothing, and not step too near the front of the stage. Morrissey has always liked power and, even in the early days of the Smiths, has opportunistically wielded it mercilessly and often cruelly whenever possible.

Take my clothes off? Whatever you say Moz!
Wear a dress? YES SIR!
Smother every song in dull sludge? If you insist.

Much as I love Boz, the fact is that his band is now a bunch of soldiers, and Morrissey is the general who removes anyone who questions his authority. I much preferre dit when he was lacking confidence and seeking the solidarity of a band in 1991. That band was amazing.

Very well expressed. I loved the visual aesthetic of the early 90s band too - Boorer, Cobrin, Whyte and Day. It was brilliant. The My Love Life Video was the high point.
Yes, they do indeed seem to smother a lot of the songs in dull sludge although, credit where it's due, the current versions of the slow Smiths songs (Please and I Know) are the best I've ever heard...

Back
Top Bottom