What album features Morrissey's best singing?

Skylarker

People come second, or possibly third.
My vote goes to World Peace. What do you guys think?

Another vote for Strangeways Here We Come.

His best solo vocals for me is on California Son, without a shadow of a doubt.

Opinions on the "best" singing by Morrissey, the former lead singer of The Smiths and a solo artist, can vary greatly among fans and critics. However, one album that often receives praise for Morrissey's vocal performance is "Vauxhall and I," released in 1994. This album showcases Morrissey's signature crooning style, filled with emotion, introspection, and a range of vocal techniques. Tracks like "The More You Ignore Me, the Closer I Get," "Now My Heart Is Full," and "Hold on to Your Friends" highlight his expressive delivery and lyrical prowess. It's important to note that this is a subjective opinion, and different listeners may have different preferences regarding Morrissey's singing across his extensive discography.

Opinions on the "best" singing by Morrissey, the former lead singer of The Smiths and a solo artist, can vary greatly among fans and critics. However, one album that often receives praise for Morrissey's vocal performance is "Vauxhall and I," released in 1994. This album showcases Morrissey's signature crooning style, filled with emotion, introspection, and a range of vocal techniques. Tracks like "The More You Ignore Me, the Closer I Get," "Now My Heart Is Full," and "Hold on to Your Friends" highlight his expressive delivery and lyrical prowess. It's important to note that this is a subjective opinion, and different listeners may have different preferences regarding Morrissey's singing across his extensive discography.
Love the trigger warning at the end. Good work, AI Solo member!

Honestly, I can't choose between the velvety-ness of V&I and the newly acquired post-Maladjusted deepness of YATQ (and he was finally back to using falsettos!) (I don't hate his voice on Maladjusted, it has its moments but sometimes it's rather bland). So, these two for me.

Meat is Murder. I think on You are the Quarry and everything after, his voice has a strength and richness like it never had before. Arguably JC has captured it best. But on the early Smiths records there's a dour and weighty quality to his voice that appeals to me.

Honestly, I can't choose between the velvety-ness of V&I and the newly acquired post-Maladjusted deepness of YATQ (and he was finally back to using falsettos!) (I don't hate his voice on Maladjusted, it has its moments but sometimes it's rather bland). So, these two for me.
His Maladjusted voice, and even some of Southpaw Grammar always sounded to me like he had a cold while recording

gonna vote for Strangeways - it sounded like a best authentic version of him.

Last 4-5 records have all sounded a bit over-coached/forced like he's had lessons and it's knocked the charm out of his voice.

Strangeways struck the right balance for me...

gonna vote for Strangeways - it sounded like a best authentic version of him.

Last 4-5 records have all sounded a bit over-coached/forced like he's had lessons and it's knocked the charm out of his voice.

Strangeways struck the right balance for me...

I always thought Johnny was his best producer. He knew how to showcase Moz’s voice and than embellish it with all his arrangements and delicate guitar work.

YATQ has a nice balance of production and crooning. Strangeways is great, but I'd go an album later with Viva Hate and the attendant b-sides--there's a plaintive quality that's been missing in his singing for a while. It really struck me when i heard "Lifeguard on Duty" why he resonated with me so much in the heyday. As someone who's taken a lot of voice lessons, I can say there's a real trade off between trying to sing with good technique and deliver the emotion. I suspect he's taken a lot of voice lessons and is trying to emulate his heroes (Elvis, Sinatra, etc.). Combine that with songs about politics, and it's a real decline from the angst that drew me to him in the first place.

Your Arsenal, a really nice mix of power pop and ballads provided Moz with some great vocal moments.

Personally, I think his voice sounds the best on the aborted bonus disc for Southpaw Grammar from the Maida Vale session, it sounds very simple and honest but that's it's beauty.

Back
Top Bottom