UK Universities

I just got an offer from Sheffield, conditional AAB, ecstatic :D

Now come on Manchester...

Congratulations, an offer from Sheffield is great. A few of my friends already of offers from Manchester so it shouldn't be too long.

Love PTxx.

I did all this buisness last year.
Somehow I managed to get into Manchester for next year to do History which is great.
Since the offers for highly subscribed courses such as English are higher my advice would be to apply for a joint honours course such as English and Philosophy or History or something. You'll get lower offers, may discover a new subject that you love and if not you can always change your course when you get there in september. A friend of mine got into manchester with BBB to do economics and history and he can easily change his course to straight history which gives out AAA offers.
Good luck with it all, I know its a bitch.

I did all this buisness last year.
Somehow I managed to get into Manchester for next year to do History which is great.
Since the offers for highly subscribed courses such as English are higher my advice would be to apply for a joint honours course such as English and Philosophy or History or something. You'll get lower offers, may discover a new subject that you love and if not you can always change your course when you get there in september. A friend of mine got into manchester with BBB to do economics and history and he can easily change his course to straight history which gives out AAA offers.
Good luck with it all, I know its a bitch.

I did toy with the idea of applying for English & History, but in most cases the Uni's ask for an 'A' in both subjects, and I'm not sure I'd get one in History. At the minute, places like Manchester and Sheffield have the same entry requirements for History & English as they do the individual degrees (AAA/AAB at Manchester, AAB at Sheffield), and at Leeds the History course has higher entry requirements than the English = AAA. I thought it best to stick to English, and maybe do some History electives if I get the chance :)

Robert Neville, are you applying for History?

Last edited:
I'm currently reading Global Security & Disaster Management.
Always wanted to do something different, I never really wanted to go to uni but thought I'd give this course a try. I'm in Coventry, I didn't have a choice with location as this is the only uni that does this course at undergraduate. I'm in my second year now and well, it's ok. I haven't really enjoyed uni because I just find it difficult to fit in with the typical student lifestyle. I've spent a fair amount of time on my own but I don't mind that, if anything I prefer it sometimes/ most the time. I'm currently living in a house with other people I play football with, which is better than halls because there aren't any plonkers dragging me to a crap party etc.
Next year I'll hopefully do a placement somewhere, then in the final year get a flat to myself with the money I'll save from the placement so I'm not disturbed when working hard. I guess I'm lucky that I have a strong base at home, I go back regularly to watch Stockport County and away games too so it provides something to look forward to during some of the dull times.

In general everybody I know seems to love uni. I don't personally but at least I'll get an interesting degree out of it (hopefully)

All this talk of UCAS brings back painful memories :( :p Last year having to do that bloody personal statement shite, stressed me right out; but it's worth it if you make the choices wisely and get the Uni you want ;)

Last edited:
Well i done four last year and three this year so over i would have sat six (i'm repeating one) so we tend to have more but as i siad it's a lower level.

It is i've always wanted to go there but English Literature there is VERY popular so me with my pathetic grades don't stand a chance.

more variety with subjects it seems ;)

English is popular in most Uni's, it's a good course, as much as I say I hate it :rolleyes: Yeah think Edinburgh might have wanted 3 A's when I was thinking of applying
Hey have faith in yourself, you're bright ;)

Back
Top Bottom