Two women 'caught trying to smuggle dead relative on to passenger jet at Liverpool a

I am a Ghost

irport, that is..

Last updated at 10:11 AM on 06th April 2010

Two women have been arrested after they allegedly tried to smuggle their dead relative on to a passenger plane.

The corpse was pushed in on a wheelchair - complete with sunglasses - to try to fool staff at the check in desk at Liverpool John Lennon Airport, it is claimed.

The man's body had been driven to the airport in a taxi after the women told the driver he was asleep.

But as his two companions attempted to check the dead man in for a flight to Berlin on Saturday, staff became suspicious and alerted the authorities.

The two women were arrested at the scene.

It is understood the 91-year-old German national had died a day earlier, and an attempt was being made to smuggle his body back to his homeland.

A source said: 'The airport staff at the check in were not happy with the situation.

The women, aged 44 and 66, are currently being questioned 'on suspicion of failing to give notification of a death'.

The body was brought to the airport from a house in Oldham.

An airport source said: 'They tried to get him in by a wheelchair. He was wearing sunglasses.

'He was dead before they got him in the taxi and he had been dead for a day.'

The cab driver is said to have been left 'upset and devastated' after being informed.

It is believed the two women attempted to smuggle the body back to avoid repatriation fees, which can be as much as £3,000.

Merseyside Police confirmed the man was dead on arrival at the airport.

A spokesman said: 'We are investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a 91-year-old German male passenger at JLA, due to fly out to Berlin on Saturday.

'Two people are helping police with their enquiries.

'We are still investigating the exact circumstances of the death, but don't believe it is murder or manslaughter at this stage.'

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) became involved because the family are from Oldham.

A GMP spokesperson said: 'At 11am on April 3, police at JLA alerted us to the death of a 91-year-old male in the airport building.

'Two women, aged 41 and 66, are helping police with enquiries on suspicion of failing to give notification of a death.'

The airport remained open throughout the incident and a JLA spokesperson said: 'We are co-operating with police in their investigation.'

Re: Two women 'caught trying to smuggle dead relative on to passenger jet at Liverpo

Or maybe the old fella is a wanted man...

Re: Two women 'caught trying to smuggle dead relative on to passenger jet at Liverpo

Can I just be the first to say "Weekend At Bernie's"?

Ta.

P.

Creepy. :squiffy:

Old people are ace.

Something similar happened round my end two years ago. Some delivery man went round to, errr, deliver something, anyway, this guy was sat in the chair and looked in proper discomfort. The delivery man asked if he was OK and the old woman tried to pass it off as, 'Yes, he's probably got an apple core stuck in his throat again.'

The delivery man rang for an ambulance and it turned out that the poor git was having a heart attack.

Tsk! Only in the North, eh?

Something similar happened round my end two years ago. Some delivery man went round to, errr, deliver something, anyway, this guy was sat in the chair and looked in proper discomfort. The delivery man asked if he was OK and the old woman tried to pass it off as, 'Yes, he's probably got an apple core stuck in his throat again.'

The delivery man rang for an ambulance and it turned out that the poor git was having a heart attack.

Tsk! Only in the North, eh?

I hope not!

I've just watch this on Granada Reports

The family hail from Oldham, and successfully managed to transport the body from their home to the airport by taxi. The driver is said to have been left “upset and devastated” by the ordeal.
Apparently he had been died for some time but the family are denying it.

Last edited:

I've just watch this on Granada Reports

The family hail from Oldham, and successfully managed to transport the body from their home to the airport by taxi. The driver is said to have been left “upset and devastated” by the ordeal.

I was 'upset and devastated' after watching them jabbering away on tv.

They obviously knew he was dead - the phrase 'thy doth protest too much' sprang to mind. Poor fella....

It is believed the two women attempted to smuggle the body back to avoid repatriation fees, which can be as much as £3,000.

No bleedin wonder! That's a scandalous price for a plane ride - it's not as if they were going to give him his dinner inclusive in the price!!

Can I just be the first to say "Weekend At Bernie's"?

Ta.

P.

:lbf::lbf:Tee hee, that was my first thought too...

I was 'upset and devastated' after watching them jabbering away on tv.

They obviously knew he was dead - the phrase 'thy doth protest too much' sprang to mind. Poor fella....

They were so obviously lying and protesting their innocence by looking for sympathy by saying they didn't get to say goodbye as they were held by police.

They were so obviously lying and protesting their innocence by looking for sympathy by saying they didn't get to say goodbye as they were held by police.

I feel genuine sympathy for the airline staff! Can you imagine?

this will continue to happen until we ban weekend at bernie's.

Back
Top Bottom