The Sound of The Smiths - Chart Position

the only real reason most people will buy it, is because it's housed in a different sleeve to other releases with similar tracks imo. most fans will have all them tracks anyway so someone low on funds will swerve it, and rightly so;)

We can be consoled that Il Divo are No.1 because of the Xmas Granny market.

Peter

Haha:D the bloke in Il Divo with the strange hyper active "come to bed" eyebrows cracks me up.

What I hate is not being able to go into my local Woolies and buy the album.:mad:

I'm not of the download generation.:(

Well, I guess even those queens from Il Divo deserve a number one entry? :sick::eek:

As with many previous Smiths releases, the album will continue to sell slowly but surely or at least I hope so, :)

They are also a mainstream chart topping Britpop band who have always sold more than The Smiths.

This may be hard for people to swallow but I'm pretty sure the members of Stereophonics are richer than Morrissey and Marr. I'm also pretty sure Morrissey and Marr wouldn't change places with them for a second. :D

They are also a mainstream chart topping Britpop band who have always sold more than The Smiths.

This may be hard for people to swallow but I'm pretty sure the members of Stereophonics are richer than Morrissey and Marr. I'm also pretty sure Morrissey and Marr wouldn't change places with them for a second. :D

Well said! The Stereophonics only had one good song, mr writer. Other than that shit, plain, soul destroying, incessant pop rock crap! His voice really does grate on my hearing immensely!

Forgot to mention they are terribly middle of the road!

hahahahahahahhahaa lmao

Well said! The Stereophonics only had one good song, mr writer. Other than that shit, plain, soul destroying, incessant pop rock crap! His voice really does grate on my hearing immensely!

I really don't see why they are successful, I can see people's attraction to even The Killers but Stereophonics I see nothing at all likeable or vaguely interesting. Madness :p

Well i guess 21 is fair to middling, it's pretty hard to promote a band that are no longer and won't be doing interviews/tv promotion. That said i can't imagine they'd have gone down the 'This Morning/Loose Women/Paul O Gravy route if they'd have still been around (leave that to Mick Hucknell and his 'Simply Dreadful' outfit). Joy Division at least had a film to promote any renewed interest in their music...i'll try not to mention Abba..oh look i just did.
It's a shame The Smiths didn't have anything worthwhile left in the vaults to release as a single to boost the release.
As for the Stereophobics..what a dirge of a band.
All the best!

Last edited:
I reckon that a chart position of 21 equates to sales of around 8000.

(I'm basing this on a band I know personally who entered at position 25 a couple of weeks ago - and I know for a fact that they sold 7100 units for this chart position)

So is 8000 a respectable amount? - sounds a bit low if you ask me. They did promote it via press and internet so for release week I would say this is pretty disappointing. I would slag off the Stereophonics now bit I don't think it will make me feel any better...

(I'm basing this on a band I know personally who entered at position 25 a couple of weeks ago - and I know for a fact that they sold 7100 units for this chart position)

So is 8000 a respectable amount? - sounds a bit low if you ask me. They did promote it via press and internet so for release week I would say this is pretty disappointing. I would slag off the Stereophonics now bit I don't think it will make me feel any better...

i went to london on 26th oct, 1st nov and 12th nov, taking in about 15 tube stations and i think it was frequently advertised on the walls of most, if not all on each occasion;)

They actually sold about twice the amount: 16.449.
Nothing spectacular, but compilations like this will only prove their worth over a much longer period.

Albums

01 II Divo 68,785
02 Stereophonics 67,073
03 Girls Aloud 51,865

05 Pink 39,719
06 Enya 35,812
10 Christina Aguilera 29,475
14 Fron Male Voice Choir 24,932
17 Seal 22,603
21 Smiths 16,449
28 Jason Donovan 12,757
32 Jonathan Ansell 11,605

They actually sold about twice the amount: 16.449.
Nothing spectacular, but compilations like this will only prove their worth over a much longer period.

Albums

01 II Divo 68,785
02 Stereophonics 67,073
03 Girls Aloud 51,865

05 Pink 39,719
06 Enya 35,812
10 Christina Aguilera 29,475
14 Fron Male Voice Choir 24,932
17 Seal 22,603
21 Smiths 16,449
28 Jason Donovan 12,757
32 Jonathan Ansell 11,605

haha so much shite in that chart, minus The Smiths of course.

Back
Top Bottom