Question The Smiths - Cemetery Gates lyrics

Ashley_TakeABow

So I'm trying to find exactly what Morrissey has written/sings at the very end of Cemetery Gates.
I'm reading things that seem like they just aren't it. I always thought he said "but where the love of Wilde is on the mind (sugar)" but im not sure if that's right now.

When I Google it, I'm seeing two different things between a few different lyric sites:
"'Cause whale blubber Wilde is on mine (sugar!)"
and
"'Cause weird lover Wilde is on mine
(sure!)
"

(Whale blubber.. what dah fack? 😂)
I don't have a physical The Queen is Dead record yet, so I don't have a lyric sleeve to check myself.

Attachments

• IMG_20240131_103209.jpg
    IMG_20240131_103209.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240131_103223.jpg
    IMG_20240131_103223.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240131_103237.jpg
    IMG_20240131_103237.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240131_103249.jpg
    IMG_20240131_103249.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 0
There are no lyrics for this line on the official lyric sheet, but Morrissey sings "'Cause whale blubber Wilde is on mine (sugar!)".
I always heard this line as sung from when I first heard it, but some people misheard it, typed it up incorrectly on the internet, and the 'weird lover' version spread like wildfire.
Mike Joyce confirmed this line was 'what blubber Wilde', and as he was present during the recording session, he should know.

Reddit (🤢) and lyric sites are not required.
Discussed many times prior.
The search feature here is probably the best thing to go to in the first instance.

Via listening party:

Full listening party for TQID:
Regards,
FWD.

So I'm trying to find exactly what Morrissey has written/sings at the very end of Cemetery Gates.
I'm reading things that seem like they just aren't it. I always thought he said "but where the love of Wilde is on the mind (sugar)" but im not sure if that's right now.

When I Google it, I'm seeing two different things between a few different lyric sites:
"'Cause whale blubber Wilde is on mine (sugar!)"
and
"'Cause weird lover Wilde is on mine
(sure!)
"

(Whale blubber.. what dah fack? 😂)
I don't have a physical The Queen is Dead record yet, so I don't have a lyric sleeve to check myself.
It's really just a tongue twisting extension of W-i-l-d-e

but you lose
'cause Wilde is on mine

It does sounds something like Weird Lover Wilde but it's really just nonsense to help the line scan

This has come up on Moz Solo before:

So TQID doesn't have a lyric booklet that comes with the vinyl or CD??

(On a similar note, I've noticed when I got my remastered(🥲) Viva Hate vinyl, it doesn't have a lyric booklet either.)

Oscar Wilde was a bit of a fatty, I’m not sure what he would mean by ‘weird lover’ if that is what he wrote.
Would he be referencing Wilde being gay? It would seem unlikely he would refer to that as being weird.

Was you’re the one for me, fatty written about Oscar Wilde too?

Oscar Wilde was a bit of a fatty, I’m not sure what he would mean by ‘weird lover’ if that is what he wrote.
Would he be referencing Wilde being gay? It would seem unlikely he would refer to that as being weird.

Was you’re the one for me, fatty written about Oscar Wilde too?
Oh, good speculation... Maybe?! I'm diving into a bit of info on Battersea right now.

So TQID doesn't have a lyric booklet that comes with the vinyl or CD??

(On a similar note, I've noticed when I got my remastered(🥲) Viva Hate vinyl, it doesn't have a lyric booklet either.)

Vinyl:
hi_1986_thequeenisdead12_2.jpg

Cassette (US):
hi_1986_thequeenisdeadtape_us_2.jpg

FWD.

Hardly. Just to make you aware that the lyrics on the officially printed inlays are not necessarily what Morrissey sings, but early drafts. There are numerous examples of them diverging on practically every release, sometimes radically. On 'Never Had No One' the lyric booklet gives the line 'On these, the very streets where you were raised', when he doesn't sing 'the very' at all. Even as recently as the last album, on the song 'What Kind of People Live in These Houses', the lyric booklet gives the lines "What kind of people do we admonish, for shining their shoes with furniture polish', when he actually sings 'Grabbing in a cabin or squatting on your quarters, sad homey-folksy smelling in their dwelling'.

If you want to hear an even clearer version of 'blubber', then listen to the live version from 'Rank', where Morrissey pronounces the 'B' with full force. But some people still cling to 'Lover', even though he plainly doesn't sing it, and never has.

Here's another super clear soundboard live recording where you can clearly hear 'whale blubber'

lol. Why does he say “sugar” at the end?

Back
Top Bottom