The Observer: Call for Morrissey Street in Manchester...

punky

According to an article in to-day's Observer a street should be named after Moz. The article by Amelia Hill may be found at http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/dec/21/street-names-local-heroes-adlington

It states

"Britain should immortalise local heroes by naming streets, open spaces and public buildings after living citizens, according to a new report. Instead of opting for "dull and uninspiring generic names", councils and developers should choose names that commemorate specific community achievements.

"Celebrating the achievements of local people would give areas a unique identity and focus, especially at a time when there is concern over so-called 'clone towns' of Identikit high streets," said John Hulme, of the think-tank the New Local Government Network.

"It would be a strong sign that areas are proud of their heritage and a way to create and solidify social and cultural cohesion. It would also be an opportunity to enlighten newcomers and tourists to the local successes," said Hulme, whose report, What's In A Name, will be published tomorrow.

Hulme said it was "astonishing" that Liverpool had not commemorated the football teams that have put its name on the sporting map. "Why doesn't the city have public areas named after such legends as Bill Shankly, Kenny Dalglish or Dixie Dean?" he asked.

Manchester, he added, could mine its musical history with a Gallagher Road or Morrissey Street. "Couldn't Birmingham's Stirling Road, where the Tolkien brothers lived, be renamed as Tolkien Road?" he added."

Re: The Guardian: Call for Morrissey Street in Manchester...

Looks like a front page story to me.

Peter

It's kind of an obvious thing to do - naming a street after Moz.

How about Moz Mews? :)

How about Moz Mews? :)

Can I be the first to call for Maudlin Street? And Liverpool shouldn't name one Bill Shankly St, but rather Frankly, Mr Shankley Street :)

Of slight interest to this story....there is a street in Barking named after Billy Bragg - Bragg Close. I schleped all the way there once, just to find a tiny cul de sac with about 10 houses on it, round the back of some scabby pub - a fitting tribute to the Bard of Barking.

It would worry me that Manchester City Council could run with this and end up naming a new street in "New" East Manchester after Moz - on some god awful modern estate.

Now, if Trafford Council wanted to rename Kings Road...I'm sure no one would object ;)

Dave

I'm totally against it..... it wouldnt be in my books:mad::D

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom