The Libertines/ Babyshambles.

hatfull

HIM-full
Ok. Please answer this question honestly. I hate Pete Doherty with an absolute passion. I despise his attitude and everything he stands for. As a result, I refuse to even contimplate listening to The Libertines or Babyshambles. Am I right to protect myself from what appears to be a god awful noise? Or am I letting my views on Pete cloud my judgement and missing out on some really good music?

Though a few on here cringe when I say this...

I love wholeheartedly both Libertines albums. You can pass on the Babyshambles album. It was a failure, too many drugs, and lack of skillful musicians ruined what could have been great.

I usually hate any post-2000 music, but The Libertines, the Carl and Pete storyline, I completely fell for.
Get both albums.

Here's a couple of songs.

Music When The Lights Go Out (legs 11 demo)
http://savefile.com/files/40571
This one can make me teary, it reminds me of my last relationship.
This early demo of the song was softer and featured violins.

Don't Look Book Into The Sun (japanese version)
http://savefile.com/files/40592
Equally sweet.

Added another song:

Death On The Stairs (xfm session)
http://savefile.com/files/40611
Low quality, I'm sorry. But the studio version sounds better, no worries.
I've always liked this one. Carl sings the first half, Pete the second.
I really like dual frontmen.

Last edited:
I liked the first album of libertines

my highlites are can't stand me now and Horrorshow

I agree with dallow. And I don't think you should let the gutter press's relentless coverage of the mess that is Pete ruin this for you.

The dynamic between Pete and Carl (along with whatever the other two contributed) was beautiful, barely controlled chaos. Mick Jones didn't over-produce, as many others would have. Dirty magic.

Pete is a great person. I had a pretty bad opinion, or more like a no-opinion about him until a few months ago, that he's more or less a loser that wants to ruin his life or at the best a talent gone wasted. Then i watched some interviews with him, both recent and older. The way he spoke his thoughts and the things he said amazed me. He is very clever, and one other thing that impressed me is how softly and gently he speaks. He seems like a person i would trust. This sounds silly i know, but to me he seems like a wise person who lost control. I still don't agree with people trying to save him, asking him about his drugs problem all the time and advising him on what to do and generally trying to be heroes, but i believe him when he says he wants to live a better life from now on. It's horrible how the press is always after him, make him appear like he's a rockstar junkie that cares only about drugs.

Anyway, even if you don't like him, and don't want to try to like him, i think you're missing on great music by dismissing The Libertines. Both albums are amazing, you should at least give them a listen. And it's not just the music, it's the whole thing. They wrote (and are still writing in my opinion) history. I also like the Babyshambles album. It's a bit chaotic but i wouldn't describe it as bad. f*** Forever is definitely my favourite, A Rebours, Albion and 32nd of December are great too and most of the songs have great tunes. Also, their latest song is amazing. Beg, Steal or Borrow, you can watch it here.

Last edited:
Ok. Please answer this question honestly. I hate Pete Doherty with an absolute passion. quote]

Thats a bit like me saying I hate you just because of the total crap you write here. (but I dont know you - so it would be impossible to say that)

Well actually, the media have hounded pete, you have believed it, you don't know pete, you cannot hate him as you do not know him.

His music in babyshambles equals if not betters the Libertines IMO

You know Pete for all the wrong reasons, but under all this shit there is actually a talented singer songwriter.
He is the only one who stands out for me from all the new acts (not talking about the experimental music, neo folk, post rock and such here). I actually really liked the Babyshambles album as well and I am also a frequent goer to his gigs, it's a great opportunity to let go.

You should definitely listen to The Libertines, at least once. Both albums are fantastic. As for Babyshambles, I don't like them much, I find the album pretty boring.

Nearly everything is in place for Pete Doherty being a great rock and roll story: The controversy, model girlfriend, hero worshipped by fans, a band that split at the height of its powers etc. The only thing missing is the lack of real talent. Pete's story really is a story of our celebrity-obsessed times. No one outside of NME thought of Pete as a genius until he and Kate Moss started sharing a dealer. The Babyshambles album is laughably pish. Pete is newsworthy for his celebrity life rather than ANYTHING musical. If he was just Joe Indie, playing the toilet circuit, he wouldn't make the front page of The Sun if he died in their cafeteria.

Saying that, the first Libertines album is good fun. You can hear it in just about every skinny 'rock' band that has appeared since. I can;t listen to the Arctic Monkeys without thinkin gof the Libertines.

Ok. Please answer this question honestly. I hate Pete Doherty with an absolute passion. I despise his attitude and everything he stands for. As a result, I refuse to even contimplate listening to The Libertines or Babyshambles. Am I right to protect myself from what appears to be a god awful noise? Or am I letting my views on Pete cloud my judgement and missing out on some really good music?

Well I have to say, I'm with you there.

I do however class myself as a bit of a hypocrit (how d'ya spell that??!)
because I only know what I see in the papers/news etc.

But to have not only a superb career, Kate Moss :)
and no doubt the sort of life we could all only ever dream of,
and throw it away like he is/has, well, the word WANKER springs to mind........

C'mon Pete, do yourself a favour here dude.

Have actually seen a Babyshambles concert, they were almost an hour late and when they showed up Pete was higher than a house, he even fell off the stage. And when he left the stage the police arrested him imidetly and they found cocain in his blood. Cost him 13 500 SEK for that (1500 Euros or 1900 USD). Good you're a celebrity, got away easy.

But honestly, Babyshambles suck. Haven't heard the Libertines however but are having problem with the word "libertine" since reading Marquis de Sade's "The 120 days of Sodom". He's a sick bastard.

Hmmm... well, thank you for all of your opinions, and especially for the downloads. I have listened to them, and I'm still not sure if I like them enough to buy an album, but I am quite suprised at how they sound. I am the first to admit, I can be quite judgemental, and I know, I shouldn't let the gutter press and their views cloud my judgement, (I do also realise these judgements are mine and I can't blame anyone elso for my views) but I do hate to see what appears to be life taken for granted and talent wasted when both are so precious. I do realise their is more to Pete than drugs, and of course, nobody's perfect, and I know that drugs are addictive and addiction is a real illness, so I probably am being a bit harsh, but at least now I can say at least I have tried to listen to them. And I can admit I may have been wrong!!! LOL

I reckon Doherty is a twat but if his music was good I wouldn't care

Unfortunately there are 100,000 better bands, Babyshambles are utter crap and the Libertines were average at best

I agree with SybilVane. Libertines are really good, maybe not great but good. I can't stand Babyshambles more than an hour... But Dirty Pretty Things, well i love them...

One of my friends insiists on playing Dirty Pretty Things every time i go over. I just don't get it, but she won't give up!!!!!!!! Oh well, each to their own!

The Libertines two albums are fantastic, two of my favourites. I have never really cared for any of the Babyshambles music. But Barat's Dirty Pretty Things are pretty good. I've become an avid listener.

The Libertines two albums are fantastic, two of my favourites. I have never really cared for any of the Babyshambles music. But Barat's Dirty Pretty Things are pretty good. I've become an avid listener.

I very much agree. Love the Libertines. I remember when I first heard their first album I was so taken I couldn't stop playing it for months.
Dirty Pretty Things are the closest that it gets to the Libertines. There are several songs on their album that do have similar energy and wit. 'Blood Thirsty Bastards' comes to mind!

Back
Top Bottom