• I don't agree with it, but accept it

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • I don't say it, but don't see the problem

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I say it and don't see the problem

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
igotpictures said:
i dont agree, its just words? words mean a lot to people and if you are gay, its maybe not that nice to hear someone screaming "gay gay gay" all over the place..
Since when the word gay is an offense?
It's like saying "eww, it's so girly" is an offense to all women.

What about using the word "c***" in a negative way?

As for me, I don't care for words that much and don't take it personally.
But I seriously don't like people hiding their opinion behind political correctness and in some countries it's just taken to a degree of being totally insane.

;)

I'm not gay, but I still find the use of this term offensive. I think it's tolerated because the word "gay" is not generally considered offensive when used to describe a person, especially if that is how they identify. I think prejudice against gay people is almost overlooked in schools, work places and society in general compared to prejudice against other minority groups. For exaple, how would a teacher react if a pupil exclaimed, "Oh my God, that is so black"?It is exactly the same thing.

Sister said:
Since when the word gay is an offense?
It's like saying "eww, it's so girly" is an offense to all women.

Not really, because 'girly' actually does mean 'overly feminine'.

When people say 'that's so gay', they don't mean 'that's a bit too homosexual for my tastes'. All they mean is 'that's so lame'/'that's so bad'/'that's so stupid'. 'Girly' may have a negative connotation in some circles, but it still means something specific about girlishness. 'Gay', on the other hand, just means 'lame'.

Obviously, I don't lose sleep over the issue or anything. ++++++ had it right when he flagged it as intellectual laziness. But for me, well - I know I could offend someone by saying 'that's so gay' - and said gay people have been through an awful lot of shit - so it becomes an automatic gesture, not saying this thing that might offend them - and I do idly wonder why others don't feel the same way.

Of course all I ever do is idly wonder. Also, I don't think it's ever occured to me to say 'that's so gay'... just not one of those phrases that comes naturally. I do say fag a lot (in a non-negative context).

xo, math+

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom