Terry Hall, lead singer of The Specials, has passed away

Craig's post is lovely.

Alain's is pretty insensitive. They weren't "rumours" and he wasn't "odd". Terry was very open about the fact he was abducted by a teacher when he was 12 years old, and the impact that this had on his mental health, a subsequent suicide attempt and a need to take anti-psychotics.

Totally agree, he was open about the challenges he faced. Here's another nice clip. I went to this gig which was actually a Lightning Seeds night but they did a couple of Bunnymen songs with Mac and a couple with Terry and then this (Perfect Dy) with the 3 of them, so it turned into a fab evening.

Last edited:
A great artist and a great man. I feel privileged to have grown up in an era when artists like Terry prospered. I will never forget the night I got to see him perform live with The Specials.

This is another beauty, written with Craig Gannon:

It’s always such a shock when people like Terry pass very suddenly.
When you are in your early teens, and hear his Lyrics from those great songs, I realised that he was singing about things that I knew little about.

Terry opened my young eyes, and ears to the reality of living in a divided and Brutal country.

May you rest in peace Terry Hall.

Ska revival, and especially The Specials, were the first genre I was into as a kid, reminds me of youth club, and school discos, and tracks that will stay with me forever.
I've never seen a lead singer remain so still on a stage whilst the crowd was going mental,
A true man, political voice, entertainer and will be so sadly missed.
I hate the term RIP, as I imagine that if he had something to say he'd kick the f***in coffin lid open.

Totally agree, he was open about the challenges he faced. Here's another nice clip. I went to this gig which was actually a Lightning Seeds night but they did a couple of Bunnymen songs with Mac and a couple with Terry and then this (Perfect Dy) with the 3 of them, so it turned into a fab evening.

His Richard Herring interview is lovely (did you post that before?). Such a nice man, no bitterness, despite everything he's been through.

Ska revival, and especially The Specials, were the first genre I was into as a kid, reminds me of youth club, and school discos, and tracks that will stay with me forever.
I've never seen a lead singer remain so still on a stage whilst the crowd was going mental,
A true man, political voice, entertainer and will be so sadly missed.
I hate the term RIP, as I imagine that if he had something to say he'd kick the f***in coffin lid open.
I'm only 33, so obvs wasn't there for the ska revival, but I was brought up on 2tone via my dad. Ska is the first proper music I can remember dancing to as a little kid, and the Specials were the first overtly political, left wing bad with a serious message mixed with fun music that I properly understood when I was a teenager. Great memories. Thanks, Terry and the lads and lasses of 2tone.

Screenshot 2022-12-20 9.07.10 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-12-20 9.07.24 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-12-20 9.08.14 PM.png

Craig's post is lovely.

Alain's is pretty insensitive. They weren't "rumours" and he wasn't "odd". Terry was very open about the fact he was abducted by a teacher when he was 12 years old, and the impact that this had on his mental health, a subsequent suicide attempt and a need to take anti-psychotics.
I don't like that post from Alain Whyte at all. He'd have been better off saying nothing at all, if that was the best he could muster.
Craig has it perfect, however.

Call me old-fashioned but I liked it better when some things were kept private
Well, you don't have to read it, it's for people who want to know.
This was probably discussed beforehand and it was probably how Terry and his wife wanted to handle it. They were extremely private about it, even Roddy Byers didn't know Terry was very ill until just a few days ago.

I don't like that post from Alain Whyte at all. He'd have been better off saying nothing at all, if that was the best he could muster.
Craig has it perfect, however.

Yeah, it's especially surprising because he has worked with Morrissey for so long, who himself has been open about about his struggles with his mental health and his need to take anti-depressants. A little sensitivity would have been nice.

I don't know whether that post is something like "It's a drag, innit?" moment like Paul McCartney had when he was asked about John Lennon's death, but Alain here sounds as dumb as depicted by Morrissey in his Autobiography. I'm hoping it's the first option, because I love his music.

Well, you don't have to read it, it's for people who want to know.
This was probably discussed beforehand and it was probably how Terry and his wife wanted to handle it. They were extremely private about it, even Roddy Byers didn't know Terry was very ill until just a few days ago.

"it's for people who want to know" (nosey folks, huh!)

"probably discussed beforehand and it was probably how Terry and his wife wanted to handle it" (oh, I love those probablys!)

Back
Top Bottom