Sweetie-Pie - time for a reassessment?

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
I was flicking through some songs I hadn't played for a while, and Sweetie Pie came on. Listening to it again, I was struck by the overarching feeling of longing and despair, and how well the song conveyed the obvious emotions behind the lyrics. Has anyone else changed their mind about the song, or loved it from the moment they heard it anyway?

Peter

I disliked it when I first heard it... but grew to love it also!:) Very good song, I think!

I've always thought it was great, but I am fan of pretentious prog so it was right down my street. I would've loved more Mikey penned songs in the future, but alas it is looking not to be.

still blows......

still blows......

Haha.. straight to the point.

I am not a gushing fan of it.. but it's a decent song.

There is a song on Interpol's latest record that reminds me of it called Lighthouse. Musically and vocally it is similar. Lyrically it's different.

I was flicking through some songs I hadn't played for a while, and Sweetie Pie came on. Listening to it again, I was struck by the overarching feeling of longing and despair, and how well the song conveyed the obvious emotions behind the lyrics. Has anyone else changed their mind about the song, or loved it from the moment they heard it anyway?

Peter

I'm with you. When i first heard it i honestly couldn't stand it. But one day it came on and it just suddenly struck me how beautiful it actually is and as you said the longing and despair suddenly became far more apparent.

i find the vocals quite beautiful, but it's as if they're muddled by a sheer layer of distracting sound.

I found this an odd song the first I heard it, but do quite like it for a b-side.
I think the lack in quantity of studio b-sides from the 'Ringleader' sessions made me more willing to accept it.

My first impressions was that it was a cover version of some old obscure song sampled over a distorted backing track as the vocals didn't seem to match in places - like the tune of the lyrics should be against a different melody. But today, still find it likeable and it often finds itself as the finale track of any b-side compilations ive put together.

Peter

I agree it gets it's point across quite well, but I still find it hard to listen to .. "oh ho, oh ho" is really terrible, it's like at that point he's not even trying to sing. Its a shame because I tend to like some of the quirky songs but sweetie pie still doesnt do it for me.

It's... different.

:) he he he. hee.

Haven't listened to it, but singing with your head down a toilet bowl, as described, must be a fascinating experience for a singer. Very experimental. I'm all for contemporary art. I encourage the exploration of new musical territories like these.

:) he he he. hee.

Haven't listened to it, but singing with your head down a toilet bowl, as described, must be a fascinating experience for a singer. Very experimental. I'm all for contemporary art. I encourage the exploration of new musical territories like these.

ROTFL.gif

Edit: The song is uploaded to youtube.

Loved it from the beginning!

ROTFL.gif

Edit: The song is uploaded to youtube.

Love your hilarity EP, but you should know I was only quoting dothatagain above! I couldn't never of tought of such a classy comparison meself!

Yes. Youtube. Sadly, it's sunny.

Love your hilarity EP, but you should know I was only quoting dothatagain above! I couldn't never of tought of such a classy comparison meself!

Yes. Youtube. Sadly, it's sunny.

I see. Well, dothatagain, it was an amazing comparison, and very spot on. :D

Back
Top Bottom