Songs that have directly inspired Smiths/Morrissey tracks

King Leer

Leering since '97
A post by Raphael Lambach in another thread about the NY Dolls' Lonely Planet Boy inspiring There Is A Light (other than perhaps the time signature a couple other details, I don't hear it) made me think a thread comprising Smiths and Morrissey songs directly influenced by previous rock classics might be interesting. Not including actual covers, obviously.

To start off, we have T-Rex being channeled in both a Smiths track and Moz-solo offering:

Panic clearly siphons some of its swagger from Metal Guru.

Certain People I Know is almost a cover of Ride a White Swan with new lyrics.

On a tangent, I've asked this in the past but who initiates these more direct homages? Did Morrissey suggest to Marr that something like Metal Guru would be good for Strangeways or is it just something Johnny did on his own based on their mutual love for the band? When Alain starting writing original tracks for Morrissey on Your Arsenal did he come in with Certain People out of the blue or was it something encouraged by Morrissey?

My memory is bit unreliable these days, I'm unable to give the credit to the user who first pointed out NYD's Lonely Planet Boy, it's not Raffa actually.
He read my post and embedded youtube link.

FYI, I have to bring back Uncleskinny's thread

Last edited:
Right then...

Victoria Wood - Funny How Things Turn Out - lines lifted for Rusholme Ruffians/Frankly Mr Shankly
The Beatles - Dear Prudence - melody influenced Death Of A Disco Dancer
Hamilton Bohannon - Disco Stomp - Influenced How Soon Is Now
Victoria Wood - Fourteen Again - lines lifted (almost) for Rusholme Ruffians
James Taylor - Handy Man - melody influenced Reel around The Fountain
Marvin Gaye/Rolling Stones - Hitch Hike - influenced start of There Is A Light...
Velvet Underground - I Can't Stand It - influenced The Queen Is Dead
Patti Smith - Kimberley - influenced The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
David Bowie - Kooks - lines influenced Sheila Take A Bow
Doobie Brothers - Long Train Running - influenced The Draize Train
T-Rex - Metal Guru - Influenced Panic
Sparks - Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth - influenced Such a Little Thing...
Gilbert O'Sullivan - Nothing Rhymed - influenced Yes I Am Blind
The Cookies - Only To Other People - influenced The Girl Least Likely To

There's loads more, they're the ones I grabbed from a folder I have that contain such things.

P.

*EDIT* - Oh yeah, there's that earlier thread. Ta Kewpie.

A post by Raphael Lambach in another thread about the NY Dolls' Lonely Planet Boy inspiring There Is A Light (other than perhaps the time signature a couple other details, I don't hear it) made me think a thread comprising Smiths and Morrissey songs directly influenced by previous rock classics might be interesting. Not including actual covers, obviously.

To start off, we have T-Rex being channeled in both a Smiths track and Moz-solo offering:

Panic clearly siphons some of its swagger from Metal Guru.

Certain People I Know is almost a cover of Ride a White Swan with new lyrics.

On a tangent, I've asked this in the past but who initiates these more direct homages? Did Morrissey suggest to Marr that something like Metal Guru would be good for Strangeways or is it just something Johnny did on his own based on their mutual love for the band? When Alain starting writing original tracks for Morrissey on Your Arsenal did he come in with Certain People out of the blue or was it something encouraged by Morrissey?

King.. amazing thread is this one.
Once I heard loads of songs whose inspired inspired Morrissey to write his, but I don't remember where o how!
If it happened here I'm pretty sure Kewpie will kindly help us quite soon.

EDIT
She was faster than me.

Last edited:
Great (and convenient) list, Uncle!
I was actually referring to music only rather than lyrics. If only because Morrissey doesn't write the music, but I've always been curious as to how much he "directs" it before the demos are brought in.

Tangent of a tangent -- as great as Irish Blood, First of the Gang and (to a lesser degree, but I love it) Daddy's Voice are, I'm surprised Morrissey didn't mind these being old songs that were "repurposed". Johnny Panic was an obscure band, but still...

yeah Metal Guru, absolutely sounds like Panic! Now THAT'S an influence on Panic and The Smiths!

Searched on youtube for The Cookies 'Only To Other People' and could not find it, this is why I uploaded the song and posted a link.
I am terribly sorry, it will not happen again.
You're completely right. I tried to find it weeks ago and I have as result NOTHING.

One that's come to light since that list, is Heart's Crazy On You, which I'm sure I've read somewhere influenced Bigmouth...(53 seconds onwards)

P.

Last edited by a moderator:
On BBC 6 Music Vinyl Revival Johnny was asked about There Is A Light... he mentioned three tracks:

There She Goes Again - The Velvet Underground
Hitchhike - The Rolling Stones
Hitch Hike - Marvin Gaye

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of UncleSkinny's list is taken from an article by Simon Goddard in Record Collector from 2003 - I've posted it before, but here it is again of you want it - http://www.sendspace.com/file/bes2gr

The link to the old thread used to have a download for 30 songs that Peter had pulled together (20 from Goddard, plus 10 others), full credit to Peter for doing it in the first place, but here it is again - http://www.sendspace.com/file/ebxchc

Dave

This thread has become really interesting really quickly. The Heart clip is quite a shocker (looks like Moz also lifted Ann Wilson's facial expression when the Bigmouth acoustic kicks in). Grew up hearing (avoiding) the 80s incarnation of Heart so I didn't realize what an amazing acoustic player Nancy Wilson was/is. Damn...

Knack clip is pretty revealing, too. No critic brought that up when Jeane was released despite only being 3 years later?

VU's There She Goes Again... Never thought there'd be a connection between The La's and The Smiths but there it is.

Magazine - Song From Under The Floorboards = Speedway

There's something of Saturday's Kids by the Jam in You're The One For Me, Fatty

And the riff of This Charming Man seems heavily indebted to Simon Smith and His Amazing Dancing Bear...

Magazine - Song From Under The Floorboards = Speedway

There's something of Saturday's Kids by the Jam in You're The One For Me, Fatty

And the riff of This Charming Man seems heavily indebted to Simon Smith and His Amazing Dancing Bear...

Everybody has done great founds.

Back
Top Bottom