Smashing Pumpkins & Billy Corgan thread

Mellon Collie "Works in Progress" version. May '95.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/88kmuy

mellon_collie_wip.jpg

OK, I see what I did. I forgot to upload the last third of the Gish era outtakes; that's where your Smiley is, as well as Siva and A Girl named Sandoz (these were Halloween 1991 Peel sessions.) There is also an acoustic take of Smiley.

When you mentioned it a few days back I knew I'd seen that song in my files; sorry it took me so long to respond/fix things.

Gish era outtakes pt 3 (also amended in the original post)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/wsrxgq

rare_tracks_thru_Gish_era_pt_3.jpg

I can't wait to download and listen to a lot of these songs! It's been several years since I've listened to many of them. I haven't heard the cool cover of "A Girl Named Sandoz" for a long time. (I'm pretty sure it's a cover of an Animals song.) I think that song is on the "Pisces Iscariot" complilation but I never seem to get to it. I like listening to "Plume," "Whir," "Obscured," and sometimes "Hello Kitty Kat" and "La Dolly Vita." I never get around to enjoying the other songs. I had forgotten about the "Jackie Blue" cover. It's pretty good, but I still prefer the great Ozark Mtn. Daredevils version. I have more to write, but I have to go check in on Grandpa. I didn't realize it was this late in the day.

OK, I see what I did. I forgot to upload the last third of the Gish era outtakes; that's where your Smiley is, as well as Siva and A Girl named Sandoz (these were Halloween 1991 Peel sessions.) There is also an acoustic take of Smiley.

When you mentioned it a few days back I knew I'd seen that song in my files; sorry it took me so long to respond/fix things.

Gish era outtakes pt 3 (also amended in the original post)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/wsrxgq

rare_tracks_thru_Gish_era_pt_3.jpg

I really like the acoustic version of "Smiley." I love "Jesus is the Sun" and "Jesus Loves His Babies" even more. I posted "Jesus is the Sun," on Christmas Day, on the "What are you Listening to Now" thread. I've also posted "Jesus Loves His Babies" on that same thread before. I also like the song "Translucent." All three of these songs were included in the bloated, and apparently incorrect version, of "Mashed Potatoes" that I stumbled onto back in 2003 or 2004.

In the past couple of years, Billy Corgan has re-recorded several of these songs, and included them in the "Gish" and "Siamese Dream" re-issues. He did a great job with "There It Goes." It sounds as good as the original, with better sound quality. In spite of this, the two times I posted "There It Goes" on Moz-Solo, I posted the original version. However, his re-recording of "Jesus is the Sun" is far inferior. The original version, which you have offered here, is much better. Thanks again for posting all of these songs, Skylarker.

This song isn't gonna set the world on fire but I like it. I like it a lot.

"Smiley" by The Smashing Pumpkins

Last edited by a moderator:
"The Rose March" by The Smashing Pumpkins

-The song gets better as it goes along and ends up being one of their best.

"Pug" by The Smashing Pumpkins

i love adore and listen to it all the time. an under ratted record for those that follow music rags hyperbole

i love adore and listen to it all the time. an under ratted record for those that follow music rags hyperbole

I really love "Adore" too. All of the songs go so well together. I also think it's the perfect Fall album, when all the leaves start changing colors. I love going for a walk in October, and especially November, and listening to "Adore" on my headphones. (I still listen to it on cassette, I never bought the Itunes portable device.) Here's a beautiful song....

"To Sheila" by The Smashing Pumpkins

"with blushing brilliance, alive"

-I can't wait for late October and the weeks of November.

agreed about it being a fall record. didnt really think about it till just now but it seems to so obviously fit the mood of fall. my wife got to see them in 95 while they toured with garbage and im super jealous of that. she was 14 and saw them at nissan pavilion.

agreed about it being a fall record. didnt really think about it till just now but it seems to so obviously fit the mood of fall. my wife got to see them in 95 while they toured with garbage and im super jealous of that. she was 14 and saw them at nissan pavilion.

Wow, that was the "Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness" tour! That's really cool she was able to see them on that tour, and Garbage too! I've only seen the Pumpkins once, and that was three or four years ago. I can't remember if it was in 2010 or 2011. Jimmy Chamberlin had just recently bolted from the band and the Pumpkins were now showcasing their new 20 year old drummer (he was twenty at the time.) This left Billy Corgan as the only original member of the band. The concert was disappointing to me. It's the type of venue where 95% of the attendees have to stand. My friend Cassie and I had to stand the entire time. I can't stand, standing at concerts. Billy actually got into a verbal tussle, with two or three knuckleheads, who were in the front of the audience. Billy was talking about our local university football team (who I can't stand) and got mixed up on who the quarterback was. Billy name checked a quarterback from a rival university. Half the audience booed him and then the two or three knuckleheads started verbally attacking him pretty good. Billy halfheartedly apologized and incredibly, and to their credit, the hecklers clammed up right away.

Another reason I didn't care for the concert is because Billy & the band played extended versions on a lot of the songs. Not only were they extended, but they actually changed up the songs quite a bit. "1979" turned into a ten minute, borderline experimental jam, that had some folks booing. It ruined this Wonderful song for me. They did the same thing with "Bullet with Butterfly Wings." I'm not too keen on that song so this didn't phase me. I know Billy gets bored, and he likes to change things up quite often, but sometimes he needs to realize that the fans just want to hear the songs as we know them. I did like the new songs the band played from the "Teargarden...." album that Billy was slowly releasing on the internet. For the life of me I can't remember what the name of this album is, "Teargardens of Kaleidoscopes," or something like that. Shortly after Billy did put out a physical release of the beautiful "Teargardens..." songs. Here is one of the breathtakingly beautiful songs from that album, and the band played it at the show! It was one of the true highlights of the night because they played it just like it sounds here. This is one of my ten favorite Smashing Pumpkins songs of all-time. It is astonishly beautiful....

"Song For A Son" by The Smashing Pumpkins

-This song ebbs & flows with beauty, but when it flows, it really flows.

-Not sure if I already submitted this song on this thread. I'm too lazy to look.

Long story short, I loved hearing the band play "Song For A Son," "Today" :), "Ava Adore," and most of the songs from "Teargarden." However, they really only played about 15 or 16 songs, and there wasn't a deep cut in the mix. It woulda been awesome to hear "Tristessa," or "Galapogos," or "I of the Mourning," or "Neverlost," or something. A nine minute experimental jam of "Tonight, Tonight" does zero for me. I saw an Elton John concert, a little time after this, and it was literally ten times better. It was one of the five best concerts I've ever seen. The standing up part really sank Cassie & I. Yeah, we were good for about 45 minutes, but then it just starts to suck. It was still awesome seeing Billy, and Jeff Schroeder (who is outstanding), Nicole Fiorentino (who is beautiful and outstanding), and their new drummer whose name escapes me (Mike somebody.) Here's a couple of pics of the modern day Pumpkins....

Smashing Pumpkins 2013.png Modern day Pumpkins, in their modern day glory..jpg

Modern day Pumpkins.

I haven't listened to Garbage for a long time, but I like alot of their songs. Here's one of my favs.....

"The Trick is To Keep Breathing" by Garbage

-Shirley Manson vocals.

Attachments

• Smashing Pumpkins, current day..jpg
    Smashing Pumpkins, current day..jpg
    217 KB · Views: 4
cool she always talks of that tour as being one of her great memories. she also got to see third eye blind tour the first album right around then probably when she was like 16 or so and im jealous of that as well. i got to see garbage tour there third record and it was good but not like it would have been seeing them in 95. shes a big fan and so am i of mrs manson. shes got some cool stuff from those days that ive sorta appropriated. the original areoplane box, the fecal matter and hormaoning ep and comp from nirvana and the original cover album dookie (green day) album cover that featured the toy elmo before they had to take it off etc. i dont think ive ever heard teargarden only machina but corgan went through a sprawling writing period there for a while and im betting he released all kindas of weird stuff in weird ways. he was very prolific. i actually enjoyed a lot of zwan but the newer pumpkins albums took a long time to grow on me at all. i just wanna forget the solo album all together. i agree about the extending of songs, sometimes its great but usually its middle of the road. sure that was a cool moment but you cant help leaving feeling youve been cheated out of some experience you were hoping and waiting for. ive seen bob dylan like three or four times (the first in the eighties) and it only got more and more different each time i saw him which was dissapointing i guess for a young man on fire with passion for his music. still good shows though. my expectations shifted finally the last time i saw him with wilco and my morning jacket as the band did total reworkings of the songs and it turned out to be a great show and experience. even though id did go with my mommy. seeing anything cool lately. the only band/artist i really really need to ses at this point from that time period is marilyn manson and its gonna happen soon.

When's the new LP coming out anyway?

Wow! I didn't know the answer to your question, marred, so I went to Google and typed in "Smashing Pumpkins new album" to find out. Holy Smokes, I just found out a lot! The band is going to release two new studio albums next year (no definitive dates set yet.) The titles of the albums are "Monuments to an Elegy" (love the title) and the drab "Day for Night" (yawn). Apparently, the band started recording songs on March 25th and Billy hopes to unleash a new single this year. I can't wait for that. ( source Spin.com)

I also just discovered these news items about the Pumpkins on Spin.com. I'm going to read about this stuff later because I Need to go get some coffee. Here are the news flashes....

* Billy has replaced drummer Mike Byrne with Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee. I can't say I'm overly thrilled by this. I didn't click on the story so I'm not sure what happened. I really liked Mike's work. His drumming on "Oceania" and the "Teargarden..." songs was outstanding! I know very little about Tommy Lee's work because I've heard only two or three Crue songs. I guess time will tell if this works out.

* Apparently, Billy is in the process of putting out a new solo album, which is a double album. It's too much of a headache for me, to try and explain this, so I'll just "copy & paste" the info from Spin.com....

"But AEGEA, his newest double album, will be a departure into even deeper left-field territory, if that's even possible. Corgan says, "As a work, AEGEA is experimental in nature, and comes across as more a soundtrack to some lost foreign film than the kind of music I'm usually associated with." He continues: "Listening back I quite like how AEGEA goes along, as it has qualities that are both meditative and alien; but not alienating."

In the next six to eight weeks, the record — which includes recordings that date as far back as 2007 — will be released strictly on vinyl and in limited quantities. The first pressing will produce 250 copies, all of which will be available through online purchase for $59.95. For those living in the Highland Park area of Chicago, a few copies will be lying around Corgan's Madame Zuzu's Teahouse."

* Billy really is a bird of a different feather. Whoa, look what he's done now! I'll copy & paste this nugget from Spin.com...

"Similarly, he recently gave fans (and Oneohtrix Point Never) a window in on his creative process when he livestreamed that eight-hour synth jam set to the words of Herman Hesse's Siddhartha."

* Billy is also prepping an "Adore" re-issue. I'm excited about this!! Really excited! Here's some info about the re-issue from Spin.com....

"The new package will feature the oiginal album, a mono mix never before heard on CD, three discs of unreleased material, and a concert DVD. Not too shabby.

"One thing that might excite fans of the album is that we were able to go back and locate elements from the original sessions that were stored digitally, but never used; such as some of the brilliant work done by Bon Harris," Corgan says. "In that fresh mixes have been commissioned, shedding new light on not only the songs hidden foundations, but their futuristic nature as well."

Though critically lauded, the album was a commercial flop following Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, and it hurt the band, which was going through personal issues following drummer Jimmy Chamberlin's firing for heroin use. Perhaps the reissue, which is due sometime this summer, will let some fans see it in a whole new light."

Billy.jpg

Billy Corgan

Billy Corgan and Jeff Schroeder conduct a tea tasting with Rodrick Markus, of the Rare Tea Cellar, at Madame ZuZu's in the Chicago area. I believe Billy owns Madame ZuZu's. I know he loves tea very much, he's talked about this for years. This is actually a nice, peaceful video to watch.

-Rodrick seems a bit nervous, and at times Billy isn't the best at making eye contact, but it's pretty good viewing. Jeff is his usual cool and nice self:).

Thru The Eyes Of Ruby will always be my favourite Smashing Pumpkins track - significantly better than the singles offered on MCATIS.

I love every part of it - from the gentle piano opening, building up into an absolute crescendo before calming down once more.
The drumming rhythm pattern change mid flow and the layered guitar work is incredible. (I think I've read there were up to 80 guitar parts layered).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzZh4fdaUpk

Back
Top Bottom