Single News

Of course I continue to buy them all, so I have only myself to blame for what I am out of pocket. But one thing that has not been pointed out thus far in the thread: with the one-off exception of The Boy Racer, Morrissey's CD singles contained ALL B-sides up until the Sanctuary releases.

One can choose to believe that Morrissey either fought the tide as long as he could (I remember Suede releasing two CDs per single as far back as 1994) and bottom-line-minded folks like Merck forced his hand into multiformatting as the end state. Or they could choose to believe he found a convenient way to combine injections to his pension fund with his love for the 45 single.

The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. But we know very well that he hungers for that elusive Number One single and, with the market as it is, multiformatting becomes a means to the end. If this song had been released as the single at the time of the Greatest Hits' release, it would have stood a good chance of a high Top 10 position. Now, I'm betting on a 10 - 25 range. It certainly isn't a better song than Irish Blood, English Heart or First of the Gang to Die so it would be a shame to see this reach Number One where more worthy songs tried and failed.

Cheers,
Jamie

You're probably right, but the logic is still fatally flawed. A Number One achieved by multiformatting is as dubious as a doped-up rider winning the Tour de France. No pride can be taken in such an accomplishment.

You're probably right, but the logic is still fatally flawed. A Number One achieved by multiformatting is as dubious as a doped-up rider winning the Tour de France. No pride can be taken in such an accomplishment.

But, any Number One by Britney Spears or... most of the corporate-produced "stars" is even more contrived, because no one would actually listen to that unless they were brainwashed to think it was good. Do you think Britney Spears is really proud of her accomplishments as a composer, writer, and musician? Morrissey should be proud of what he's accomplished, he is an actual, authentic composer, writer, and musician. He deserves what a Number One means to him - even though for most of us, the charts ceased to have any meaning right around eighth grade.

I'm not in the music industry, I am only a listener, but whatever it takes... it's a dirty business. If Morrissey "cheats," it's only because he's been cheated. I think it's fair to say that the system, which rewards mediocrity and booty-shaking, has cheated him. You can't compare Van Gogh with paint-by-numbers.

But, any Number One by Britney Spears or... most of the corporate-produced "stars" is even more contrived, because no one would actually listen to that unless they were brainwashed to think it was good. Do you think Britney Spears is really proud of her accomplishments as a composer, writer, and musician? Morrissey should be proud of what he's accomplished, he is an actual, authentic composer, writer, and musician. He deserves what a Number One means to him - even though for most of us, the charts ceased to have any meaning right around eighth grade.

I'm not in the music industry, I am only a listener, but whatever it takes... it's a dirty business. If Morrissey "cheats," it's only because he's been cheated. I think it's fair to say that the system, which rewards mediocrity and booty-shaking, has cheated him. You can't compare Van Gogh with paint-by-numbers.

Well, that's a solid argument except that Morrissey has always prided himself on not "cheating" to get his due. At every step of the way in his career he has proudly passed up chances to "play the game". To give him a pass now is to say he was being foolishly obdurate about avoiding mainstream videos, awards shows, "toned down" interviews, dumb celebrity friends, censoring his speech. Should Morrissey have have played the game then? No, and he shouldn't play it now.

Well, that's a solid argument except that Morrissey has always prided himself on not "cheating" to get his due. At every step of the way in his career he has proudly passed up chances to "play the game". To give him a pass now is to say he was being foolishly obdurate about avoiding mainstream videos, awards shows, "toned down" interviews, dumb celebrity friends, censoring his speech. Should Morrissey have have played the game then? No, and he shouldn't play it now.

I did put "cheat" in quotes... I don't agree that releasing the vinyl and cd in various editions is cheating.

He's still not doing any of those things. He's just releasing three versions of his single that will all count toward the same song's chart position.

I did put "cheat" in quotes... I don't agree that releasing the vinyl and cd in various editions is cheating.

Why don't you think it's cheating? He's putting different B-sides on different formats so that fans have to buy all three, giving him three sales for one A-side. Surely that's not cricket.

Thanks for the heads-up!

It sounds like Gustavo Santaollala is filling in for Morricone this time around. And this means that the "Children in Pieces" instrumentation definitely won't just be what we've heard in the leaked demo!

Like I've written before, Morrissey carries song titles with him for years. There by no means any certainty that the CP instrumentation which has leaked will be the same on featured as the AYIM b-side.:)

Vaux

If there were three different b-sides on three differend CDs, I'd be the first to buy them. But vinyl? Why does it have to be vinyl? It's ok for nostalgic reasons, but I want those tracks in CD quality, without all those clicks and plops that come with a vinyl record!

If there were three different b-sides on three differend CDs, I'd be the first to buy them. But vinyl? Why does it have to be vinyl? It's ok for nostalgic reasons, but I want those tracks in CD quality, without all those clicks and plops that come with a vinyl record!

not an audiophile, eh? :p

there are no clicks and pops on vinyl if it's dust- and scratch-free, and if you also have a fairly nice needle/stylus.

It is THE way to hear music, my friend

not an audiophile, eh? :p

there are no clicks and pops on vinyl if it's dust- and scratch-free, and if you also have a fairly nice needle/stylus.

It is THE way to hear music, my friend

Yes, IF the vinyl disc is dust and scratch free, and IF you have a million dollar turntable. There are far too many IFs for my taste.

A CD never has any noises on a track that don't belong there, and the sound (especially the high notes) is much clearer.

Back
Top Bottom