Signed "The Queen is Dead" LP - did Rough Trade release signed sleeves on Day 1?

larryj2000

Hi folks, hoping you can help me.

As an 'oldie', with great excitement I purchased "The Queen is Dead" way back on 16th June 1986 from HMV in Aberdeen. Fantastic.

The album I purchased - as did the one that my mate Steve also bought on the day - has what would appear to be Morrissey's signature - in gold pen - on the front of the album sleeve, towards the bottom.

I'll post a few photos of this idc, however I wanted to ask if anyone could confirm that there were indeed signed LPs released by Rough Trade in the first 'batch' of the release?

Thanks in advance.

Larry

EDIT 29th August - some pictures of the sleeve attached showing the signature in gold pen. I know, given I bought the album on the day of its release, that the signature is kosher, however would welcome some independant confirmation from one who knows!! :)

P1030337 (Large).JPGP1030338 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
It's authentic. Morrissey signed some copies of this, and the Bigmouth 12" upon their release that were sold around the UK. I personally think these were all done at the same time because all that I've ever seen have gold signatures and signatures that take up the entire front sleeve. If you're looking to sell it, do let me know.

I have to ask how does buying the album on the day of release mean it's authentic?

Unless you have proper evidence of Morrissey actually signing it then it'll never be guaranteed. Someone in a room at Rough Trade, or HMV Aberdeen could have been knocking these out on the day -the classic blocky Moz writing isn't exactly hard to fake is it, that's why you get so many chancers on ebay with so called signed records, adding an extra £100 for the price of a felt tip.

Just playing devil's advocate you know :)

I have a signed Bigmouth 12" and the signature is identical but in black. Johnny Marr even commented on the signature when I had him sign it 2 years ago (it's now signed by everyone except for Joyce). This is 100% legit, and extremely nice.

Back
Top Bottom