Rugby World Cup

T

The Magic Fairy

Blimey England, you do make it hard for yourselves (and us fans). Certainly put me through the wringer. I haven't felt so drained at the end of a match since England v Argentina in the 2002 World Cup. Congratulations though. Nice one!

TMF

> Blimey England, you do make it hard for yourselves (and us fans).
> Certainly put me through the wringer. I haven't felt so drained at the end
> of a match since England v Argentina in the 2002 World Cup.
> Congratulations though. Nice one!

I think we both feel sucked dry.. in a manner of speaking!!

I thought i was the only one here interested and arguing the case against the southern hemisphere voice (I think I mean LoF with the Southern equator policy statements)!

Fantastic result. Better game than expected. And even better to rub the Aussies faces in it with a dropped goal.. how un-sporting!! blah blah blah!

From the pub.. all day session.. it's a fine rainy day.
Ruffian

> I thought i was the only one here interested and arguing the case against
> the southern hemisphere voice (I think I mean LoF with the Southern
> equator policy statements)!

I'm not a massive rugby fan, but I know enough to understand how it works.
It still feels odd, thinking that WE are the WORLD CHAMPIONS. I mean, bloody hell! And stuff.

TMF

Fair play to you. I thought England played really well in the final. You've been the best team in the world for the last four years and with the win you finally proved it. It was good to see England use the weight of the forward pack and you did run with the ball. Perhaps not so boring as everyone has made out. I'll have to admit Jonny Wilkinson does seem a heck of a nice guy. Humilty is a good trait in my opinion and the boy certainly has it. Clive made a nice comment about the NZ coach John Mitchell in saying that throughout the world cup, the former assistant coach to England (Mitchell) never once made a comment against England. Nice, although the knives are out on him already and he has to reapply for his All Black coaching job.

One quick question Ruffian before we wrap up this rugby thread, would you like to see a return to nations to a tour of a country? The All Blacks doing a six week tour of the British Isles and three tests?

Nice Win!

And a great story!

Sports Briefing
England surprises Australia to claim Rugby World Cup

England won the Rugby World Cup yesterday in Sydney, Australia, beating defending champion Australia 20-17 in extra time and becoming the first Northern Hemisphere country to capture the sport's showcase event.

Jonny Wilkinson scored with 26 seconds left to seal the victory in the wind and rain. Australia's Elton Flatley had forced overtime with a penalty in the last minute of regulation.

This was the second World Cup final decided by a drop goal in extra time — Joel Stransky gave South Africa a 15-12 victory over New Zealand in 1995.

"This is the most incredible thing I've ever seen. I am speechless. Fantastic, unbelievable," England coach Clive Woodward said. "My emotions? I was going nuts."

England was ranked No. 1 entering the tournament. It had lost five games in four years since losing to South Africa in the quarterfinals of the last Cup. England lost its only previous trip to the final.

This was Australia's first World Cup loss since the 1995 quarterfinals. England extended its winning streak over Australia to five matches.

Australia reached the title game by upsetting New Zealand in the semifinals. England won the other semifinal against France.

"It was certainly a photo finish," Australia coach Eddie Jones said. "You slug it out for 100 minutes, you get beaten in the 99th minute of the game. I think that would qualify."

Wilkinson finished as the tournament's leading scorer.

The previous Rugby World Cup champions were New Zealand (1987), Australia (1991), South Africa (1995) and Australia (1999).
-----

Also a nugget for us American Soccer fans:

Howard wins battle of U.S. goalkeepers vs. Friedel

Tim Howard's Manchester United beat Brad Friedel's Blackburn 2-1 yesterday in a matchup of United States goalies before a Premier League-record crowd of 67,748.

Defending champion United won for the sixth time in seven games and is in third place, behind Arsenal and Chelsea.

Arsenal beat Birmingham City 3-0 despite having four players suspended, while Chelsea edged Southampton 1-0.

Arsenal is unbeaten in 13 games (10-0-3), the best start to a Premier League season. It has 33 points, one more than Chelsea and two more than Manchester United.

At Manchester, Ruud van Nistelrooy put the hosts ahead in the 24th minute, and Brazilian Kleberson made it 2-0 just before halftime. Australian midfielder Brett Emerton scored for Blackburn in the 62nd minute.

It was the first game between Friedel and Howard since the latter moved to United this season from the MLS.

> Fair play to you. I thought England played really well in the final.
> You've been the best team in the world for the last four years and with

Thanks LoF.. Your response is well received and welcomed! What the Southern hemisphere had got into I think was the 'wearing blinkers' syndromw, focussing on age, Wilkinson relience, being boring, predictable.. anything to bash the Poms.. when of course, we always knew what the team were capable of having been involved in watching all their games for the past 3 years. And we never lost sight of those aspirations.. respecting totally what the Aussies, SA, and NZ are capable of on their day, with no denigration of those teams achievements. Make no mistake, this just gives an edge to the competitive world of rugby which is positive and healthy and raises the standards. It's also worth mentioning England beat 4 of the best teams in the world on the way to, and including the final. Whatever, It's great to see a Northern hemisphere team finally break your absolute dominance. It'll be interesting to see where it goes from here.

> One quick question Ruffian before we wrap up this rugby thread, would you
> like to see a return to nations to a tour of a country? The All Blacks
> doing a six week tour of the British Isles and three tests?

I love to see the Blacks over here.. always a massive game.. It's the Haka.. it's the players.. it's the legendary invinsibility that makes the game so special.

There was talk of a joint 6 nations/Trinations tournament.. but that's like the world cup anyway!!

Ruffian

Re: Best result this weekend

The people of Georgia getting rid of Eduard Shevednadze.

We duff our caps.

> And a great story!

> Sports Briefing
> England surprises Australia to claim Rugby World Cup

> England won the Rugby World Cup yesterday in Sydney, Australia, beating
> defending champion Australia 20-17 in extra time and becoming the first
> Northern Hemisphere country to capture the sport's showcase event.

> Jonny Wilkinson scored with 26 seconds left to seal the victory in the
> wind and rain. Australia's Elton Flatley had forced overtime with a
> penalty in the last minute of regulation.

> This was the second World Cup final decided by a drop goal in extra time —
> Joel Stransky gave South Africa a 15-12 victory over New Zealand in 1995.

> "This is the most incredible thing I've ever seen. I am speechless.
> Fantastic, unbelievable," England coach Clive Woodward said. "My
> emotions? I was going nuts."

> England was ranked No. 1 entering the tournament. It had lost five games
> in four years since losing to South Africa in the quarterfinals of the
> last Cup. England lost its only previous trip to the final.

> This was Australia's first World Cup loss since the 1995 quarterfinals.
> England extended its winning streak over Australia to five matches.

> Australia reached the title game by upsetting New Zealand in the
> semifinals. England won the other semifinal against France.

> "It was certainly a photo finish," Australia coach Eddie Jones
> said. "You slug it out for 100 minutes, you get beaten in the 99th
> minute of the game. I think that would qualify."

> Wilkinson finished as the tournament's leading scorer.

> The previous Rugby World Cup champions were New Zealand (1987), Australia
> (1991), South Africa (1995) and Australia (1999).
> -----

> Also a nugget for us American Soccer fans:

> Howard wins battle of U.S. goalkeepers vs. Friedel

> Tim Howard's Manchester United beat Brad Friedel's Blackburn 2-1 yesterday
> in a matchup of United States goalies before a Premier League-record crowd
> of 67,748.

> Defending champion United won for the sixth time in seven games and is in
> third place, behind Arsenal and Chelsea.

> Arsenal beat Birmingham City 3-0 despite having four players suspended,
> while Chelsea edged Southampton 1-0.

> Arsenal is unbeaten in 13 games (10-0-3), the best start to a Premier
> League season. It has 33 points, one more than Chelsea and two more than
> Manchester United.

> At Manchester, Ruud van Nistelrooy put the hosts ahead in the 24th minute,
> and Brazilian Kleberson made it 2-0 just before halftime. Australian
> midfielder Brett Emerton scored for Blackburn in the 62nd minute.

> It was the first game between Friedel and Howard since the latter moved to
> United this season from the MLS.

> I'm not a massive rugby fan, but I know enough to understand how it works.
> It still feels odd, thinking that WE are the WORLD CHAMPIONS. I mean,
> bloody hell! And stuff.

> TMF

Why would anyone WANT to be RUGBY world champions? I'm glad the Welsh rugby team is crap, I'd be ashamed if we'd have beaten the English in the quarter finals. Rugby is arse!

Back
Top Bottom