Prefab sprout anyone

ALLIE WALLS

Why on earth hasnt there been a thread dedicated to them, slagged off a bit by Morrissey way back in a Spin mag interview which he retracted soon afterwards as far as i remember. Very close in style to the Smiths and very much of that time, i love them as much as i do the Smiths and i suppose any Smiths fan would.

Last edited:
Smiths crossover: Martin McAloon said when Prefab Sprout were in the studio recording When Love Breaks Down, Johnny Marr visited them and played a mix of William It Was Really Nothing for them.

Why on earth hasnt there been a thread dedicated to them, slagged off a bit by Morrissey way back in a Spin mag interview which he retracted soon afterwards as far as i remember. Very close in style to the Smiths and very much of that time, i love them as much as i do the Smiths and i suppose any Smiths fan would.

well, who could take them seriously with a band name like that? It’s almost as bad as the Lightening Seeds!

Smiths crossover: Martin McAloon said when Prefab Sprout were in the studio recording When Love Breaks Down, Johnny Marr visited them and played a mix of William It Was Really Nothing for them.

Marr is funny. I think it must have gutted them.

Lol.

Last edited:
Vox magazine interview in late 1990, Morrissey said Jordan: The Comeback was "lifeless" even though it was getting very good reviews at the time. He also said he'd met Paddy McAloon and they got on fine but his music was now "middle-aged".

Pretty brave to attack anyone like that when you're in the middle of recording an album like Kill Uncle.

Pretty brave to attack anyone like that when you're in the middle of recording an album like Kill Uncle.

Kill Uncle can be viewed as a brave move, a going against the grain, considering the whole Madchester thing.

I was listening to them just yesterday! Lots of songs I still don't know though.

Chanced on "I trawl the megahertz" by Paddy on yt. Quite a song, that.

I had never heard of them... I was browsing in a record store one day and they were playing "Jordon: The Comeback." Based on what I heard I bought the album. I enjoyed it at the time but not enough to look into their discography beyond that album. I remember Morrissey slagging them off... isn't that the same interview where he said the Cocteau Twins were "useless on every human level?"

Very close in style to the Smiths and very much of that time, i love them as much as i do the Smiths and i suppose any Smiths fan would.

I don't hear it at all. Prefab Sprout sounds so jazzy, breezy, cleanly-produced, and generic. They're 80s elevator music. I guess a song like The Boy With the Thorn In His Side is musically kind of precious and sparkly, but Morrissey's voice rescues it.

I had never heard of them... I was browsing in a record store one day and they were playing "Jordon: The Comeback." Based on what I heard I bought the album. I enjoyed it at the time but not enough to look into their discography beyond that album. I remember Morrissey slagging them off... isn't that the same interview where he said the Cocteau Twins were "useless on every human level?"
I remember Morrissey calling them silly putty.

I got the quote slightly wrong, but it's all in this section from the April 1991 issue of Spin.

View attachment 97908
Though I don't agree with Mogsy about the Cocteau Twins, I truly enjoy his old interviews. He was quick on the reply in an interesting way., no, "ahs" and "ums" and "ya knows".
" '...I seem to have touched a nerve.' 'It's the way you're sitting.' " LOL. I wonder if the interviewer understood what he said.
Would Morrissey of the 90's have considered an interview via fax or email?
Back to the Twins, they were a group of the times, along with their look. I don't know if I've ever heard one of their interviews. Some of their music stands up to time and some doesn't, imo.
Elizabeth Fraser's voice has always been enjoyable, as well as Guthrie's solo work.

When Love Breaks Down is probably one of the 50 greatest songs of all time. Absolutely heartbreaking in its atmospheric melancholy.

When Love Breaks Down is probably one of the 50 greatest songs of all time. Absolutely heartbreaking in its atmospheric melancholy.
sure if you get the 100 top music journalists around today and asked them to make a list of their top 50 songs im wlbd wouldnt be in any of them,its fine loving a song but top 50 greatest is a very bold statement.

Prefab Sprout are a phenomenal band, and musically have barely put a foot wrong. You can, at least on a surface level, file them with Steely Dan in that they create these lush, note perfect musical tapestries that have some of the most cutting, honest and raw lyricism laid on top of it - without forgetting the classic pop songwriting of Paddy’s heroes like Gershwin. Some of their music is still so ahead of it’s time till this day, particularly a lot of Jordan; I’d single out “Wild Horses” as being something that, released now completely unaltered, would still hold its glacial melancholy power in its lush soundscapes.

Back
Top Bottom