5. Love Is On Its Way Out 5/10
  6. Neal Cassady Drops Dead 4/10
  7. One Of Our Own 10/10
  8. Spent The Day In Bed 6/10
  9. Sure Enough The Telephone Rings (live performance only) 6/10
  10. The Girl From Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel 1/10
  11. The Truth About Ruth 1/10
  12. Without Music The World Dies (live performance only) 4/10
Sadly, these don't rank highly for me, with one notable exception.
a 10?!? that’s some royal song company

Here's the top 3 at close of play for today, folks:
  1. One Of Our Own - 7.9
  2. Spent The Day In Bed - 7.3
  3. Love Is On Its Way Out - 7.1
All to play for tomorrow...

Am planning on wrapping this thread up on Friday 21st (tomorrow) somewhere around 14:00 (UK time), then publish final results late afternoon.

We're only scoring 12 songs, so those who were keen to express an opinion have probably done so already. Thus far, it's not been as well attended as the 'Jesse Tobias' thread (24 currently vs. 29), so slightly down on numbers, but there's still time to change that.

Those who wish to have their votes included in the final results, please get your votes in asap. Cheers all.
You’re doing a hell of a job. It’s threads like these that show us that this can actually be a fun place. Would you mind continuing with Boz or Alain? 😬

One thing is for sure, Morrissey doesn't write too sublime lyrics to Gustavo's music ;)

I think all of this is a bit strange. Are you all honestly really able to completely separate (sonically and emotionally) the music from Morrissey's vocal melody and words? I must confess again that I don't think I can. It's too intertwined in my mind. In order to vote I would have to listen to all of the tracks instrumentally. 'Not Bitter But Bored' and IBEH are the same song instrumentally, but they're perceived to me as two completely different songs, as such I would rate them differently. And I don't like The Truth About Ruth, but I would think that's more because of Morrissey's contribution than Manzur's. Some other lyricist/artist could probably transform the same track to something great, I'm sure. And I suspect it's the same for many of you as well. So I really can't take such votings seriously without being provided with instrumental versions.

I think all of this is a bit strange. Are you all honestly really able to completely separate (sonically and emotionally) the music from Morrissey's vocal melody and words? I must confess again that I don't think I can. It's too intertwined in my mind. In order to vote I would have to listen to all of the tracks instrumentally. 'Not Bitter But Bored' and IBEH are the same song instrumentally, but they're perceived to me as two completely different songs, as such I would rate them differently. And I don't like The Truth About Ruth, but I would think that's more because of Morrissey's contribution than Manzur's. Some other lyricist/artist could probably transform the same track to something great, I'm sure. And I suspect it's the same for many of you as well. So I really can't take such votings seriously without being provided with instrumental versions.

I don’t believe the thread title is asking anyone to separate Morrissey’s contribution from Manzur’s. I agree that would be difficult.

‘Please score these Morrissey/Manzur tracks’​

I don’t believe the thread title is asking anyone to separate Morrissey’s contribution from Manzur’s. I agree that would be difficult.

‘Please score these Morrissey/Manzur tracks’​

Okay, in that case it's very easy:
  1. Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? 7/10
  2. Earth Is The Loneliest Planet 8/10
  3. In Your Lap 4/10
  4. Israel 8/10
  5. Love Is On Its Way Out 6/10
  6. Neal Cassady Drops Dead 8/10
  7. One Of Our Own 9/10
  8. Spent The Day In Bed 7/10
  9. Sure Enough The Telephone Rings (live performance only) 8/10
  10. The Girl From Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel 9/10
  11. The Truth About Ruth 3/10
  12. Without Music The World Dies (live performance only) 9/10
In the future hopefully it will be possible to listen to all tracks in instrumental versions.

Last edited:
Slight change this morning. WMTWD climbs to join LIOIWO in joint 3rd.
Things are getting tight, with only a hair's breadth separating 2nd & 3rd place:

1. One Of Our Own - 7.9
2. Spent The Day In Bed - 7.3
=3.Without Music The World Dies - 7.1
=3. Love Is On Its Way Out - 7.1

Nail-biting finish as we enter the last few hours of voting...

Last edited by a moderator:
  1. Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? 1
  2. Earth Is The Loneliest Planet 2
  3. In Your Lap 4
  4. Israel 4
  5. Love Is On Its Way Out 5
  6. Neal Cassady Drops Dead 4
  7. One Of Our Own 9
  8. Spent The Day In Bed 7
  9. Sure Enough The Telephone Rings (live performance only) 2
  10. The Girl From Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel 2
  11. The Truth About Ruth 1
  12. Without Music The World Dies (live performance only) 5

Voting extended until 14:30 to give any late comers a chance to vote...

Voting is now closed.

5th place: Sure Enough The Telephone Rings - 6.82

4th place
: Love Is On Its Way Out - 6.98

3rd place
: Without Music The World Dies - 6.99

2nd place
: Spent The Day In Bed - 7.32

1st place
& The Winner with 7.95 is:

I’m glad the only really good song Manzur has written won. According to me, but that should go without saying.

I’m not a musician, so I don’t really know how to phrase this, but it seems to me that Manzur is a fantastic musician, but not as good at composing. His songs seem a bit all over the place a lot of times. Am I completely wrong here?

To conclude, here's the complete, & final, scorings:

scores.JPG

Here's a graph showing total scores/points received/track:

points.JPG

...and finally, of course, the Pareto chart:

paretomanzur.JPG

The first position is indisputable. Love is on its way out a bit too low, Bobby is too high( IMHO )
None of Gustavo's songs are in my personal Morrissey Top 10, but One of our own is definitely somewhere between 11 and 20. Respect for your meticulous work Mozmar . Keep it going ! :clapping:

Back
Top Bottom