online music documentaries

• Thread starter Deleted member 25370
  • Start date
a 1986 docu with subtitles on the einstürzende neubauten:

but this one here is only in german and thats 40' of blixa bargeld commenting on his life. love the scene with him sitting at home in his apartment drinking tea and reading a book, studiously [23'], and stating that the neubauten have always been an anti-heroin band

it is said in the above-mentioned docu that jeff met him twice, once for this show and another time for a longer period of one week when he stayed with tim, his second wife and their adopted son. after this visit at their home he decided to become a musician as well. i can imagine that he enjoyed being compared to a man he hardly knew but who had been such a fine musician, like suddenly being offered an explanation for the artistic side in him. and i don't know whether being compared with your parents' achievements always has to be negative, as long as you are convinced of your own individual talent, this sounds good to me, it also opened some important doors for him in the music business. i guess he was probably trying to surpass his father's success (which wasnt that difficult, as tim had never sold many albums) which motivated him to find new ways of expression, and kinda take revenge on him quietly.

Yeah it doesn’t mention that in the book. I think it says Judy, his second wife, asked if he could come stay but that it didn’t occur due to the plan not getting ironed out before he died. Correction. I went and peaked at the book and it does show that it happened not long after that show. His mother was flipping through a paper and saw that Tim was playing and took him and Judy made t the request after the show. I don’t know if anything especially this situation is always negative or not but i imagine it’s got to be weirdly complex for him. I think he must have harbored some anger at his father who didn’t make him a part of his life even by sending letters or checking up on his well being in a simple phone call. I imagine he was also proud and inspired by his father and his music and it’s reputation as well as recognizing some sort of connection to the man in there desire to make music. It’s this contrast that makes the situation so unique and interesting and tragic. To be haunted and unable to escape a person who was absent your entire life whom you probably resent on some level is weird especially when it maybe opens doors for you as well. To not only be haunted and unable to escape ape when other people compare you but carrying them around and recognizing them when you look at yourself or hear yourself. Being haunted not by memories of them but by similarities you see in yourself but can’t even confirm because you never knew them. It’s a strange situation. Buckley’s music is often described as having a wounded haunting quality to it, which is where it gains a lot of its potency, and it’s hard to resist reading this description or interpretation as resulting or at least having roots in his and his fathers failed non relationship. Even in last goodbye where he’s saying goodbye to a love who’s about to marry his best friend there’s this sense of abandonment and continued affection that plays out to heart wrenching effect seems a similar old situation repeating

Yeah it doesn’t mention that in the book. I think it says Judy, his second wife, asked if he could come stay but that it didn’t occur due to the plan not getting ironed out before he died. Correction. I went and peaked at the book and it does show that it happened not long after that show. His mother was flipping through a paper and saw that Tim was playing and took him and Judy made t the request after the show. I don’t know if anything especially this situation is always negative or not but i imagine it’s got to be weirdly complex for him. I think he must have harbored some anger at his father who didn’t make him a part of his life even by sending letters or checking up on his well being in a simple phone call. I imagine he was also proud and inspired by his father and his music and it’s reputation as well as recognizing some sort of connection to the man in there desire to make music. It’s this contrast that makes the situation so unique and interesting and tragic. To be haunted and unable to escape a person who was absent your entire life whom you probably resent on some level is weird especially when it maybe opens doors for you as well. To not only be haunted and unable to escape ape when other people compare you but carrying them around and recognizing them when you look at yourself or hear yourself. Being haunted not by memories of them but by similarities you see in yourself but can’t even confirm because you never knew them. It’s a strange situation. Buckley’s music is often described as having a wounded haunting quality to it, which is where it gains a lot of its potency, and it’s hard to resist reading this description or interpretation as resulting or at least having roots in his and his fathers failed non relationship. Even in last goodbye where he’s saying goodbye to a love who’s about to marry his best friend there’s this sense of abandonment and continued affection that plays out to heart wrenching effect seems a similar old situation repeating

it's difficult to say whether he felt haunted and angered at the same time by his father. he never said so, and if so, it would have indeed been a troublesome attachment. i guess there are many ways of how children deal with absent parents. to many, i think, they become a nonentity, just like any other uncle or aunt one hasnt seen in decades, maybe even less. seems that jeff had never developed a real interest in his father until he stayed with him for a week shortly before tims death. probably his death triggered off some emotions in jeff, that of any child for a parent, no matter how well-acquainted they've been before, no matter if there had been some love or not. he must have been affected by his mother's reaction to tim's death, too.
i think what haunted jeff b. most were the narratives that people, especially the old tim b. fans, attached to him, of him being so much like his father, and thus a tragic child, both closely connected forever. he would have been better off without it, but couldnt escape it after having entered the music business. so this foreign narrative, that he hadnt grown up with, became part of his public persona, and he must have struggled hard against it. it became one of the main conflicts in his life, as he says in the video, he resisted peoples' trivialization of his music and them assuming that he had never had a mind of his own.
i see his death of drowning in the mississippi river as highly symbolical in this context. after having finished grace and most likely in a phase of post-album depression and completely burnt out, he was too weak to follow his own path any longer and got into an artist's block. in this emotionally exhausted state of mind, the tragic son narrative took over and occupied his mind, and then eventually drowned him in the river. six days later his corpse was ejected by the waves at the end of beale street, no drugs, no alcohol, just a mind that had to give in to the voices that had never known him and had never cared about to see him independently from his father. maybe he should have spent some years on a remote farm in a desert and sink a well instead.

i agree with what you call the wounded haunted quality of his music and that of tim. but rather i see its source in some common traits of their personality, not so much their failed relationship. this yearning which they express is not only the source of their creativity but also of their addictions in life. its a connection with something deeper that cannot be answered for in our life of superficiality unless you take to drugs like tim eventually did.

If you wanna go for three try out his bio a pure drop. I liked it and found it pretty informative as well as well written. On an extreme side note it sometimes amazes me what people will get upset with morrissey over but totally give a pass on other artists behaviors. Morrissey might make some political statements people don’t like but he never abandoned his child to chase fame and drugs. Time relationship or lack of one with his father was pretty sad

why was it 'sad'? Maybe Jeff made the music he made in order to know the father he never had, so in a way we should be grateful that Tim 'abandoned' him.

more a concert than a docu. for those who are ripe for some holidays

I keep meaning to get you a link for Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives. Have you seen it yet? It looks at the relationship of Mark Everett (Eels) with his father Hugh Everett (quantum mechanics physicist.) The tragic family dynamics, I think, provide a lot of insight into his music. I watched it when it first came out and have not checked these individual links to make sure they work but I hope they do.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB662BBED85D0ACBA

A lot of seventies music being posted on the song thread so I came across this and thought it might be of some interest:

There's a Janis Joplin documentary on Netflix atm called Janis: Little Girl Blue. It is available elsewhere. But whatever. Just watch it! She was something else.

There's also Janis Joplin: Southern Discomfort

"A reissue of Pearl remastered for CD was released August 31, 1999. It included four previously unreleased live recordings from the Festival Express Tour, recorded on July 4, 1970, as bonus tracks. In 2003, the album was ranked number 122 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.[10] A two-disc Legacy Edition appeared on June 14, 2005, with bonus tracks including a birthday message to John Lennon of "Happy Trails," and a reunion of the Full Tilt Boogie Band in an instrumental tribute to Joplin."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_(album)

Lennon talks about that recording:

Last edited by a moderator:
docu on mudhoney

couldve been shorter, like 50 mins or so, okay, but i liked it

Back
Top Bottom